Is this the beginning?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear that so many of you are really dry. We had too much this spring into summer, way late making hay. The got some dry, lasted over 3 weeks and really dried it out almost too much. Then have had some nice rains, then dried out and was hot, then this past week had in the general area of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches and are in pretty good shape. Got some late orchard grass to make the next decent dry spell we get. Have plenty of hay and the sorghum/sudex will be high enough to cut again if we don't get a frost so we are good. Good thing if we keep a bunch of extra heifers that we think we will. Nights upper 50's low 60's , days 70's and 80's. Nice fall weather.

We've had a pretty good year despite this dry stretch...We've had good rains, just not much runoff..The ponds are showing this. Last year, we had a drought, but then floods, in one year. We know there will be big droughts again like in 2005/06 and 2011/12..

CG i hate to tell you this but we are in a drought.its bone dry around here.we are feeding hay already.pools are low.filling a 700 gal trough up 4 times a day.all thats left is to get as meny calves as we can gone.if it dont let up pretty soon we will be culling cows.

bigbull338":3v7mefgh said:
CG i hate to tell you this but we are in a drought.its bone dry around here.we are feeding hay already.pools are low.filling a 700 gal trough up 4 times a day.all thats left is to get as meny calves as we can gone.if it dont let up pretty soon we will be culling cows.
Where in Texas are you....I'm NE near Paris. We just drove across texas to Rockport and they are lush and green from just south of us to the coast. I know west of us, its a lot dryer but got some rain last week..My family lives in the dallas area, and the rain has skipped over them many times this summer.

True Grit Farms":1446mycj said:
Williamsv":1446mycj said:
Got an inch at the farm here in Middle GA this afternoon. We really needed it. Farmers ready to pick peanuts after lunch today were not too happy.

I saw all that ma'am, your living right. We only had 3/10 at the house. But I think our hay field in Cedar Grove got a better rain. The weather liars were calling for a 20% chance of rain, so go figure.

Got 3 drops here.

cowgirl8":34qi1nlw said:
bigbull338":34qi1nlw said:
Where in Texas are you....I'm NE near Paris. We just drove across texas to Rockport and they are lush and green from just south of us to the coast. I know west of us, its a lot dryer but got some rain last week..My family lives in the dallas area, and the rain has skipped over them many times this summer.
im about 40mi from you.the rains have missed us.when some places in dallas got 5 in of rain a week or so ago around mckinny and plano.our cows eat 2 big bales in 2 days or less right now.but we are still fully stocked.we sent a bumper load of heavies monday ave weight 800lbs.

I'm 17 miles east of McKinney and we had just short of 3" during that event, BB. Problem was it was so dry we could really use another 3" about now. Too bad there's only a small chance in the next few days.

im about 40mi from you.the rains have missed us.when some places in dallas got 5 in of rain a week or so ago around mckinny and plano.our cows eat 2 big bales in 2 days or less right now.but we are still fully stocked.we sent a bumper load of heavies monday ave weight 800lbs.[/quote]
In which direction? I know Mt Pleasant is very green...not sure about SS.. North of paris is dry..

We have rain close by...fingers crossed it holds together and we get some...

We ended up with about a half inch...Rained all day and sun is just coming out. Not a drought buster, but its something...

cowgirl8":3tbgscxt said:
im about 40mi from you.the rains have missed us.when some places in dallas got 5 in of rain a week or so ago around mckinny and plano.our cows eat 2 big bales in 2 days or less right now.but we are still fully stocked.we sent a bumper load of heavies monday ave weight 800lbs.
In which direction? I know Mt Pleasant is very green...not sure about SS.. North of paris is dry..[/quote]
we are about 20mi east of mount pleasant.

http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/us-wi ... tter-north
Winter outlook released yesterday:

Precipitation
Wetter than normal conditions are most likely in the northern Rockies, around the Great Lakes, in Hawaii and in western Alaska

Drier than normal conditions are most likely across the entire southern U.S. and southern Alaska.

GRAPHIC%20-%20Outlook_map_Precip_2016%20-%2010202016%20-%20NOAA%20-%20800x624%20-%20INSET.jpg

Temperature

Warmer than normal conditions are most likely across the southern U.S., extending northward through the central Rockies, in Hawaii, in western and northern Alaska and in northern New England.

Cooler conditions are most likely across the northern tier from Montana to western Michigan.

The rest of the country falls into the "equal chance" category, meaning that there is not a strong enough climate signal in these areas to shift the odds, so they have an equal chance for above-, near-, or below-normal temperatures and/or precipitation.
GRAPHIC%20-%20Outlook_map_temp_2016%20-%2010202016%20-%20NOAA%20-%20800x624%20-%20INSET.jpg

Drier and warmer across an area that has an (over) abundance of hay this year. Figures.

sdohomeweb.png

Drought will likely persist through the winter in many regions currently experiencing drought, including much of California and the Southwest

Drought is expected to persist and spread in the southeastern U.S. and develop in the southern Plains.

New England will see a mixed bag, with improvement in the western parts and persistence to the east.

Drought improvement is anticipated in northern California, the northern Rockies, the northern Plains and parts of the Ohio Valley.

The southern half of the contiguous U.S. is predicted to experience overall degradation of drought conditions, with drought persistence or intensification favored. Areas of predicted drought development include portions of the Gulf Coast region, extending across much of eastern Texas, and over parts of the southern High Plains. This latter region has recently experienced warm temperatures and gusty winds, leading to flash drought conditions on a smaller-scale. The only exception to the widespread dryness across the southern Lower 48 states includes eastern parts of both Kentucky and Tennessee, which are expected to be close enough to migratory low pressure systems passing to the north.