Is this the beginning?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
I constantly fear droughts. When we have a stretch of dry weather when its typically a wet month i start wondering, is this the beginning?
Hay is cheap right now and every drought we've had we wished we held onto more instead of selling. We did this year though, we have over 2200 rolls.. We are prepared hay wise..
The guys got the last pond dug out the past few weeks, its deep, just needs water. And since 2011, all ponds are now deeper.
We are ready.

We got an inch and 1/2 last week, but many around us did not get any. I have friends dotted around N Texas who are dry.. We should be wet now..The rain they forecast for us dwindled to nothing. We are flatlined for the next 10 days...

True Grit Farms":2fz4z6xp said:

We need a rain soon, or the buzzards will eat all the seed.

It's dry as a popcorn fart here too. If we hadn't had the 5 inches from Tropical Storm Hermine, we would really be suffering.

Finished planting wheat Saturday morning, started raining 9:00 that night and by 9:00 Sunday morning I had 4.6". Maybe should have planted rice instead.

Happy for yall. Cactus wouldn't sprout here right now. It'd as dry as a popcorn fart. You can harrow the dirt and it's just like powder. Zero moisture.

Intellicast is again giving big chances for rain in 10 day, only to take it out. 10 more days of no rain. We left to do some bay fishing last week. Had tons of grass when we left, no worries yet...But driving around yesterday we were shocked at how everything has turned brown while we were gone. Looks like the further south you go the greener it gets, but up here, not.... Sale barns are picking up, i'm sure because people are running out of grass. We still have a months worth, but selling calves/hay feeding is just around the corner. We should be getting rain this time of year...

We sure could use some rain here, haven't had any at my place in over three weeks to amount to anything. Going to get a lot worse before it gets better, not any rain in the forecast until the last week of October. Will have to supplement with some hay.

Whats weird is the cold fronts having been coming through here like they should be, but they are enough to keep hurricanes from coming into the gulf...I turned off the AC for the past week, but i think i may turn it back on...

Got an inch at the farm here in Middle GA this afternoon. We really needed it. Farmers ready to pick peanuts after lunch today were not too happy.

Like washing a car or having hay on the ground to bring on rain, so is getting ready to harvest....lol....

Williamsv":il9llg8l said:
Got an inch at the farm here in Middle GA this afternoon. We really needed it. Farmers ready to pick peanuts after lunch today were not too happy.

I saw all that ma'am, your living right. We only had 3/10 at the house. But I think our hay field in Cedar Grove got a better rain. The weather liars were calling for a 20% chance of rain, so go figure.

relief in sight?
Oct 3, 11pm.
A growing threat for the Southeast U.S.
A significant westward shift unfolded Monday in computer model guidance on Hurricane Matthew, and this has big implications for the hurricane's potential impact on the U.S. East Coast. The main reason appears to be stronger ridging south of 98L and north of Matthew than earlier predicted, which may help to nudge Matthew far enough west for major impacts along the Southeast U.S. coast. Last night's 50 ensemble runs from the 00Z Monday European model included a number of tracks making landfall along the U.S. East Coast. Most concerning was that all four members of the Euro "high-probability" cluster--the members that most closely match the operational run--depicted Matthew making landfall on Florida's East Coast. Today's 12Z Monday Euro ensemble continued along the same lines (see Figure 4 below)
at201614_model.gif

Weather Channel gave us a 0% chance of rain yesterday and we got an inch. My cousin and I had talked before lunch and he was ready to pick peanuts after lunch. Both us had heard no chance of rain. I noticed the dark cloud toward the farm that afternoon and in a few minutes my sister called and said it was raining over there, which is seven miles from my house. We got a very light shower here.
I do try to live right, but the Bible says it rains on the just and the unjust. The rain yesterday was a big surprise! Hope all of you that need some get it soon.

Latest posts