Is this possible

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
"Another method that is used sometimes is to mix clover seed with cattle feed and then feed it to the cows and let them spread the seed through cow droppings. I have never used this method, but have been told of positive results from those that have used it."

I quess this would work with fertilizer :lol:

Some folks around here mix it with the loose mineral and claim that it works. Fertilizer would dissolve in the cows guts, hard to tell what that might do

I know it can work but it want come up till the following year and you would have to use untreated seed.

We found out several years ago by grazing cattle on clover then moving them to a new pasture that was not planted, and the next winter we had clover coming up all over the pasture.

Aslo it will not give good dispersal of the seed, it will be kind of spotty. :lol:

I have a neighbor up in TN, just to the north of me, that swears by this method. He says he likes it so much because his cattle won't graze the piles that the clover seed is sprouting from and it can become established easier.

Just as a side note...

It only works on hard scale seeds. Not sure about all clover varietys, but it does work very well with arrowleaf clover.

I see this more of a longterm investment in veld improvement than trying to establish clover in a pasture.

Latest posts