Is she bred or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

cagle520

Reaction score
I bought another longhorn at the registered sale last October. She was palpated 3mos.safe at that time. I have two different gestation charts, One said due 4-4 the other was 5-16. I calculated ( if bred 7-9 the the 3 mos. before the sale date) 280 days puts her at 4-15. my other cows usually show something by now, bag,swelling,etc. I pretty sure she didn't slip it because she is in the 7acre pasture in front of my house.What do you think?

cagle520":i19loxqs said:
I bought another longhorn at the registered sale last October. She was palpated 3mos.safe at that time. I have two different gestation charts, One said due 4-4 the other was 5-16. I calculated ( if bred 7-9 the the 3 mos. before the sale date) 280 days puts her at 4-15. my other cows usually show something by now, bag,swelling,etc. I pretty sure she didn't slip it because she is in the 7acre pasture in front of my house.What do you think?

Well, I'm not sure about your gestation charts, but if she was 3 months bred in October you can add 6 months to that and she should be due in April. Keep in mind that pregchecking isn't an exact science, and that the size of the calf/uterus detirmines what the vet calls. And, vets have been known to be wrong. If you are really concerned have her palpated again. Also, some cows will show a lot before they calve, and some will just bag up and calve in a short time and some really won't bag up til after the calf is on the ground. Older cows usually show for less time than younger cows (there ARE exceptions of course).

cagle520":1m43suy9 said:
What do you think?

Since cattle seldom pay attention to gestation charts, gestation charts can't take into account the variance between breeds, and the '3 months safe' depends entirely on the skill and accuracy of the vet doing the preg checking, I think you have a rough estimate and she will calve when she is darn good and ready. :lol: :lol:

We have a first calf heifer that we have been waiting on for two months. We knew she was bred, but not sure on the date. She started "loosening" up in the back at the beginning of Feb but did not have a bag. We penned her up, just to be sure. After 2 weeks, we let her back out.

Now, last weekend, she started bagging up. Tonight she looks like a baby Jersey. Won't be long now!

Goes to show, you never can tell!

We have a heifer that if she settled to the AI breeding shuld have claved the 27th of last month. I never saw her in heat since then but she had been with the bull for a couple of months after that. Today while the vet was out I had him palpate her to see what was ging on. With his arm inside of her he bent down and looked at her udder. He says the calf is big late third stage but the heifer has no more udder then a typical yearling. His comment was, "Have some colostrum handy".

dun

I'm not sure if it matters, but this is suposedly her second calf. I have been using the gestation charts to give me the ball park time. Which has worked on the rest, but this one threw me for a loop! Still no change though! Thanks for the replys.........

Latest posts