Is my cow drying up?

Help Support CattleToday:

burnt_umber

Reaction score
Hi Folks-
Got our first family milk cow this spring- she was milking when we got her but didn't know for how long she'd been milking. She increased production soon after we acquired her and peaked at 3 gal. per day up til recently.

We put a calf on her about 3 months ago. He's loose with her all the time. But when we want milk, we pen him for 12 hours, milk her, and let him out. He's been nursing her very thoroughly - we check her udder twice every day. We milk her about 4 times a week, I'd say, depending on the neighbors' and our friends' requests

I've noticed a decrease in her production this past week or so. Tonight after milking her, I noticed she was kicking at the calf after I let him out when he tried to nurse. He soon gave up without a fuss. She's weaning him I guess.

So... What's going on ? Is she weaning him b/c she's drying up? Or b/c it's just "time" to wean him.
Why is she producing less?

If I start milking her twice daily again will she continue to dry down- or will her production stay where it is now?

Thanks! :D

i would say yes she is weaning the calf.so you need to pen the calf away from her starting now.an go back to milking her twice a day.how long has she been fresh.an is she bred back.how much feed are you feeding her.

burnt_umber":2syl6mri said:
Hi Folks-
Got our first family milk cow this spring- she was milking when we got her but didn't know for how long she'd been milking. She increased production soon after we acquired her and peaked at 3 gal. per day up til recently.

We put a calf on her about 3 months ago. He's loose with her all the time. But when we want milk, we pen him for 12 hours, milk her, and let him out. He's been nursing her very thoroughly - we check her udder twice every day. We milk her about 4 times a week, I'd say, depending on the neighbors' and our friends' requests

I've noticed a decrease in her production this past week or so. Tonight after milking her, I noticed she was kicking at the calf after I let him out when he tried to nurse. He soon gave up without a fuss. She's weaning him I guess.

So... What's going on ? Is she weaning him b/c she's drying up? Or b/c it's just "time" to wean him.
Why is she producing less?

If I start milking her twice daily again will she continue to dry down- or will her production stay where it is now?

Thanks! :D

Hey, if you had a calf sucking on your tits plus someone pulling on them a couple times a day - you might WANT to be dried up.

All animals need a rest at sometime - otherwise they go down hill in health.

She is probably doing what you asked - and after all they do need some rest.

Dry her and let her rest - then calve out - then you will be drowning in milk.

The other thing is - as that calf gets bigger he sucks that cows tits harder and faster - draining her bag right dry. She may not be putting out as little as you think - that calf may be running her into the empty zone and keeping her there.

She might not be weaning - she just might have sore tits - or be p!ssed off that the calf is bothering her etc, etc. - that calf will suck her for a year if you leave it out with her.

After all - beef calves in the field stay on the cow for 9-10 months and get as big as 2/3 rds of the cow in size.

Only question I have has been asked and you have not answered yet.

How long has she been being milked? The longer the time - the less milk you will get.

You actually are placing a big demand on her - if she is on gras and a little grain you are going to see milk production drop.

If she is on straight grass I want to see a pic of the pasture and the cow before I make further comment.

Lots of better folks than me when it comes to dairy - but in the end, sooner or later, she will have to be dried up for a bit.

Good luck

Bez+

Burnt...is she a dairy cow or just a good beef cow?? A dairy cow ordinarily should milk 10 months, be bred back and then dry off and rest two months minimum. I believe you said she calved in the spring so assuming March 1st, then she's been milking. 6 1/2 months....not nearly long enough.... If she's not a dairy cow and you're wanting raise a calf AND have milk for the family I'd sell her and get me a good dairy cow and supplement her with a good grain ration to get the production you need.

Got our first family milk cow this spring- she was milking when we got her but didn't know for how long she'd been milking.

That is the key to your question ,you had better call them up and find out when she freshened ,,,also if she was re bred???????????

Latest posts