Is my corn going to waste? Cattle Dung pics

Help Support CattleToday:

DanMan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I am trying to fatten 15 bulls and am feeding them Berseem green fodder (trifolium alexandrinum) and corn (about 5 lbs per day per animal). I can see a lot of undigested looking corn in the dung. Can you please let me know if this is normal or is it something to worry about? Thanks!

x3gtj4.jpg

2ntczrn.jpg

It's normal. Most of the nutritive value is removed and the solids are passed.

DanMan":3uizzmgy said:
Hello everyone,

So I am trying to fatten 15 bulls and am feeding them Berseem green fodder (trifolium alexandrinum) and corn (about 5 lbs per day per animal). I can see a lot of undigested looking corn in the dung. Can you please let me know if this is normal or is it something to worry about? Thanks!

Dan you ever eat whole kernel corn or corn on the cob?? Same "view" of the end results. :nod:

I'm sure research has been done, to prove or disprove if they get it digested or not. I've never went looking for it. IMHO, it's not hurting anything.

From the studies I have read, the outside of the kernel is all that is left. The stomach acids enter through the tip of the kernel and do their thing. If you split them open they will be hollow. The same material is disposed of when corn is crushed. It is just smaller and impossible to see when passed through the digestive system.
I have never split one open to verify.

Tim/South":pfyhy5p2 said:
From the studies I have read, the outside of the kernel is all that is left. The stomach acids enter through the tip of the kernel and do their thing. If you split them open they will be hollow. The same material is disposed of when corn is crushed. It is just smaller and impossible to see when passed through the digestive system.
I have never split one open to verify.

Oh I see! I just crush one with my shoe and it seemed pretty soft. Maybe that is what is happening :cboy:

Bigfoot":pfyhy5p2 said:
I'm sure research has been done, to prove or disprove if they get it digested or not. I've never went looking for it. IMHO, it's not hurting anything.

According to research it is digested, but I just wanted to know if this much was common.

Ebenezer":pfyhy5p2 said:
If you grind it into smaller particles they will digest more of it.

From some of the stuff I've read, I think smaller particles are more likely to cause acidosis since they get digested quicker.

JSCATTLE":pfyhy5p2 said:
Run a few chickens in there .. they will pick it clean ..

That is actually a good idea.

TexasBred":pfyhy5p2 said:
Dan you ever eat whole kernel corn or corn on the cob?? Same "view" of the end results. :nod:

Haha I have never checked :p

dun":pfyhy5p2 said:
It's normal. Most of the nutritive value is removed and the solids are passed.

Oh thanks for the info :)

Some years back this question came up and study was posted about it. If I recall fairly close, the difference between ground and chopped was about 10%, then rolled and whole was about 7% between each. So whole corn is about 76% as utilized as ground.

Latest posts