Is it just me

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7":33dvf09g said:
The problem I have with it is the
" Cattle Co " part.
20-30 head of commercial cattle.
Kind of like a guy calling a 160 acres a ranch.

Cross. I see your point out there but the average herd size in Kentucky is 20 head.

Back on topic, Seriously, do you REALLY care? Did he spit on you when you were kids?

M-5":3vo06p5d said:
Cross-7":3vo06p5d said:
" Cattle Co " part.

so a doctor that only sees 2 patients a week is not really a doctor ?? or a salesman that only sells one day a week part time is not a salesman. Or a carpenter that only builds bird houses is not a carpenter.

Valid point
Probably just me being critical.

Young man, let me put this in terms we all understand.

A good bowel movement has much greater significance than what this guy puts on his truck or that he thinks he is the next David Rockefeller.

80+ % iirc of cattle herds in US is 50 or less. so by your theory only 20% deserve to be call cattle company and refer to their land as a ranch. Come east of the Mississippi and 160acres will run 100+ head in some places . Like I said before someone is jealous of the things you have but I suspect it stems from mistakes or regrets you dwell on and second guessing your decisions

Bright Raven":113oyf8u said:
Cross-7":113oyf8u said:
" Cattle Co " part.

Cross. I see your point out there but the average herd size in Kentucky is 20 head.

Back on topic, Seriously, do you REALLY care? Did he spit on you when you were kids?

It hurts me to say this, but I agree with "He Who Was Formerly Known as Inyati". Why do you care if your relative calls it a cattle company and displays his brand?

M-5":10z5624f said:
80+ % iirc of cattle herds in US is 50 or less. so by your theory only 20% deserve to be call cattle company and refer to their land as a ranch. Come east of the Mississippi and 160acres will run 100+ head in some places . Like I said before someone is jealous of the things you have but I suspect it stems from mistakes or regrets you dwell on and second guessing your decisions

Out west when talking about carrying capacity its how many cows to the section.
To run a 100 head it'd take 3-4 sections.

So in comparison it'd be like a guy there calling 5 acres a ranch

Is it possible that he has created the business as an LLC so that if something bad happens they can't take away everything that he has built or become? (I am not sure on all the legalities in regards to LLCs)
The tax deductions may be a good reason.
T-shirts, hats and emblems cost very little.
Yes, I think a lot of us, me included, are curious as to what/whey people do the things they do with money but in the end it is their choice.

Does it matter if it is called a ranch or a farm?

If you do not sell yourself no one else will. If it creates self worth in your kinfolks eyes then it is okay. Signed Donald Trump

Cross-7":1pd16w4q said:
M-5":1pd16w4q said:

Out west when talking about carrying capacity its how many cows to the section.
To run a 100 head it'd take 3-4 sections.

So in comparison it'd be like a guy there calling 5 acres a ranch

Just because the dirt is poor out west doesn't make it more special because it takes more to run a pair.

and I can show you those 5 acre ranches around here. They have the sign and everything.

Cross-7":3h7cpp42 said:
Maybe jealousy, maybe I need to mind my own business ?

I have a family member that has a good job that pays very well.
He runs 20-30 head on family land he leases.
I've wanted it, tried to lease it and so on but never got it done, maybe the jealousy part coming out in me.

Anyway he has his trailers with emblems of his brand, caps printed stating so and so cattle co, T-shirts and etc.

It just rubs me wrong for some reason.
It doesn't affect me, but..
Just seems for a guy that leases everything and only runs a handful of cattle, it's kind of overboard.

Truth is he is probably worth a crap ton and could do much more, but is at a comfortable level and doesn't need the money.

Maybe it's sour grapes on my part
Absolutely none of your business as long as he pays his lease. Get over it !!!!!

TexasBred":2k3xno89 said:
Cross-7":2k3xno89 said:
Maybe jealousy, maybe I need to mind my own business ?

I have a family member that has a good job that pays very well.
He runs 20-30 head on family land he leases.
I've wanted it, tried to lease it and so on but never got it done, maybe the jealousy part coming out in me.

Anyway he has his trailers with emblems of his brand, caps printed stating so and so cattle co, T-shirts and etc.

It just rubs me wrong for some reason.
It doesn't affect me, but..
Just seems for a guy that leases everything and only runs a handful of cattle, it's kind of overboard.

Truth is he is probably worth a crap ton and could do much more, but is at a comfortable level and doesn't need the money.

Maybe it's sour grapes on my part
Absolutely none of your business as long as he pays his lease.

Yeah I know
Kind of one of those deals where I need to tend to my business and stay out of others if it ain't bother me

Cross-7":1ctvvehj said:
" Cattle Co " part.
Years ago another family member paid me with a check " Last name land and cattle"
They had a little of both but not enough to warrant the title IMO

I come from a jealous household. My folks were always really jealous of what others had. My dad was a pro musician and my mom would be really jealous of these young kids out there, with little talent, doing really well. She'd get bent out of shape and all upset. I was the same way. I was jealous of athletes making huge money, going everywhere, etc. And then you look at their lives and it's not everything it looks like. They can't go out without some idiot telling them how to correct their swing or asking for pictures/autographs. Who do you date? How do you know she isn't going to charge you with something to get money out of you? I realized that yes, it looks great on the outside, but in reality IT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED. So I stopped paying attention to all that stuff. Now, if I have the time, I'll watch a game, but usually with the sound off or down real low. I don't listen to the personal story pieces at halftime, I don't pay attention to what they're getting paid. And you know what? My life is so much better now that I don't care about what they're doing.

I hear guys talking about guys wearing a hat bad and belt buckle at the sale barn.
They take exception to it
For me it's guys wearing spurs to town

M-5":2cv9xl56 said:
Cross-7":2cv9xl56 said:
I hear guys talking about guys wearing a hat bad and belt buckle at the sale barn.
They take exception to it
For me it's guys wearing spurs to town

Here we talk about the guys that are jealous of what other have .

I get your point, but I don't think the guys running down hats and big buckles are jealous.
I think they feel the attire isn't deserving.
I think that's more of the issue I have.
I don't feel it's warranted. Caps and shirts self promoting
But as pointed out already it's none of my business

part of growing up is being comfortable with who you are. Decisions today can only effect the future and can not change the past. I can coulda woulda shoulda all I want on what I didn't do but I cant change it. Its not just becoming complacent with success or failure its about a higher calling and giving the best you have today.

I think a certain amount of jealousy is totally natural.. the issue is how you act on it.. Do you try to bring others down to your level out of spite or do you better yourself to get to theirs? Of course I'd like to own a fleet of new vehicles, tractors, and have a herd of show-winning cows, definitely wouldn't mind having someone do all the work around here while I gallivant around, but it's never going to happen... So I'll fix up my old stuff to make it look decent, improve my herd bit by bit, and keep fixing fences and moving irrigation around.