Is climbing Mount Everest on your bucket list?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
A record number of climbers have summited Mount Everest in April and May, the peak climbing months. Last week, there were reports of massive crowding, especially near Hillary Step, where climbers had to walk single file.

This year has been the deadliest for climbers on Mount Everest since 2012, when 10 climbers died. All 11 deaths in 2019 occurred during peak climbing season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/lawyer-from-colorado-is-11th-person-to-die-on-mount-everest/ar-AABZJGJ

Should you not more correctly say...... Kick the bucket list?

what is the thrill in doing something so unique if you have to stand in line to do it?

me....more likely to go camping in death valley in the summer than going anywhere cold on purpose....

Insanity. They get in the death zone near the summit on Everest where you can only survive a short while on the thin air and they die because hoards of people coming up the mountain won't let them pass back down. You'd think the Nepalese authorities would have a limit on the number of climbers allowed on the mountain at once, but I guess not. The climbers pay $11,000 each for a climbing permit.

I'm not much on
1. Cold temperatures.
2. Foreign countries.
3. Climbing rocky things.
4. Lack of 0².
5. Spending time around non-English speaking people.
6. Fighting with Yetis.
So it's a fair bet I won't be trying that.

The ex-husband of one of my friends attempted to climb Cho Oyu, the sixth-highest mountain in the world. Frostbite, internal bleeding, amputations. Got through that and now has brain cancer. I just don't get that kind of "adventure".
https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article96900047.html

I do not like high places even in a multistory office building. I will not walk close to a window to look out. If I did it would create a tickle in my testicles.

ga.prime said:
Insanity. They get in the death zone near the summit on Everest where you can only survive a short while on the thin air and they die because hoards of people coming up the mountain won't let them pass back down. You'd think the Nepalese authorities would have a limit on the number of climbers allowed on the mountain at once, but I guess not. The climbers pay $11,000 each for a climbing permit.

I read on the internet the reason there are so many people climbing Everest is it is much cheaper than the permit to shoot an elephant which is $60,000. Who'd have thought so many people wanted to shoot elephants. :pop:

I've climbed to the top of the grain leg at work plenty of times already this year and I'm pretty satisfied with that. I can almost see my house from there.

Heck I don't want to climb the hill in back of the house. While there is a lot of steep ground on my place, I avoid the rocky vertical places with a passion.

greybeard said:
I'm not much on
1. Cold temperatures.
2. Foreign countries.
3. Climbing rocky things.
4. Lack of 0².
5. Spending time around non-English speaking people.
6. Fighting with Yetis.
So it's a fair bet I won't be trying that.

Well,When you put it like that, it kinda takes all the want too out of it...

25 or 30 years ago, I wanted to hike the pacific crest trail, had a friend that did the apalachian trail, not now. I've canoed rapids and lived on a creekbank in upper montana march thru september. I'll take a nice slow float and a warm bed nowadays.
I do understand the "want to" though.

greybeard said:
herofan said:
No it is not. I don't understand things like that.

I understand it fully...I just won't do it tho.

I don't understand risking one's life just for a thrill or to be able to say I did something. It would serve no purpose to me. If I climbed it, it's not like I get to bring down a year's supply of food or anything of that nature. I just know that minds are wired differently, and I'm fine with the fact that mine is not wired like that.

snoopdog said:
25 or 30 years ago, I wanted to hike the pacific crest trail, had a friend that did the apalachian trail, not now. I've canoed rapids and lived on a creekbank in upper montana march thru september. I'll take a nice slow float and a warm bed nowadays.
I do understand the "want to" though.

I have hiked parts of the Pacific Crest trail. Now I tell my wife that we should go to trail heads, stand by the sign, and take our picture. My bucket list included hiking the Chilkoot Trail. I think I have aged out on that adventure. I had some friends who years ago hiked the Chilkoot. Got to Lake Labarge and built a boat and floated down the Yukon. Would have been an adventure but they were in their 30's when they did that.

Latest posts