Is anyone Honest?

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Does that not capture the definition of BIAS? What is bias? It is lying to ourselves. Is there a more difficult lie to understand than the one we tell to ourselves?

That is a George Carlin joke. Was reading some of his jokes this evening. They can make you think. He was foul but he was clever.

With George, there was no gray zone about liking him or not... He had strong opinions, and you either agreed with him or not. I have all his shows, etc. Him being an atheist doesn't detract from all his other valid points.. One of my favorites is when he talks about euphemisms, and how it has been perverting the English language... And this was 25 years ago, it's only gotten worse since! It's so unfortunate we don't have him around anymore, He mocked the right and the left, and I would have loved to hear his take on the 2008 financial crisis, and of course the upcoming elections would have been good fodder for him as well.

"Catholic - that's what I was till I reached the age of reason. When it comes to God's existence, I am not an atheist
and I am not an agnostic, I'm an acrostic: The whole thing puzzles me." - George Carlin

Son of Butch":25qo0kec said:
"Catholic - that's what I was till I reached the age of reason. When it comes to God's existence, I am not an atheist
and I am not an agnostic, I'm an acrostic: The whole thing puzzles me." - George Carlin
He also said he reached the age of reason at about 5 years old or so.

We're all guilty of throwing the baby out with the bathwater on lots of issues.. Carlin was no exception.. However, he makes some very good points..
What I liked about him is he hated the right wingers as much as the lefties.. If one side was out to lunch, he'd call them on it

inyati13":oaqloj0d said:
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Does that not capture the definition of BIAS? What is bias? It is lying to ourselves. Is there a more difficult lie to understand than the one we tell to ourselves?

That is a George Carlin joke. Was reading some of his jokes this evening. They can make you think. He was foul but he was clever.

Yeah, I've thought about that several times. I don't mind slow drivers, I mind drivers that stay in the passing lane. I don't mind fast drivers, I mind reckless drivers that I consider endanger other people. But even so, I've tried to become better lately at not minding as much and driving friendly as possible realizing that I've probably upset whoever is going faster or slower than me.

I didn't get irritated at the guy trying to pass me and the semi infront of me on Tuesday, as the cones in his lane where quickly approaching mine. Apparently he didn't see the 10 signs indicating construction ahead and lane closure, or the 50 cones he'd already passed.

He waved to apologize and I waved back. I even used all five fingers.

True Grit Farms":2klrlbi3 said:
I've never thought much of someone that swears all the time. And I dang sure ain't wasting my time listing to cussing for entertainment.
I'll take a crude, honest person any day over a PC, smooth talking liar any day.

Nesikep":k7soz0nm said:
True Grit Farms":k7soz0nm said:
I've never thought much of someone that swears all the time. And I dang sure ain't wasting my time listing to cussing for entertainment.
I'll take a crude, honest person any day over a PC, smooth talking liar any day.
Right on I don't care if you openly think I am a SOB at least we know the playing field.

True Grit Farms":2xisew6c said:

Dang sure of that, huh?

Commercialfarmer":2676dz4g said:
inyati13":2676dz4g said:

Yeah, I've thought about that several times. I don't mind slow drivers, I mind drivers that stay in the passing lane. I don't mind fast drivers, I mind reckless drivers that I consider endanger other people. But even so, I've tried to become better lately at not minding as much and driving friendly as possible realizing that I've probably upset whoever is going faster or slower than me.

I didn't get irritated at the guy trying to pass me and the semi infront of me on Tuesday, as the cones in his lane where quickly approaching mine. Apparently he didn't see the 10 signs indicating construction ahead and lane closure, or the 50 cones he'd already passed.

He waved to apologize and I waved back. I even used all five fingers.

I have three brothers. We took dad's old horse drawn New Idea manure spreader to an auction in Amish Country Ohio a month ago. Beautiful country. Henry drove his F-250 pulling a trailer with the manure spreader on it. Half way there, we stopped at a Rest Area. Rob, Eddie and I let Henry walk ahead. Eddie in a low voice says, "Jesus, did you guys know he was that bad of a driver". I said, "I don't know what Jesus thinks but we are going to get an opportunity to meet him if he keeps driving".

Went through Dayton, Ohio and get into Amish Country. There are mostly Amish but also Mennonites. The Mennonites use farm tractors, electricity, etc. Henry pulls out to pass a farm tractor with only a couple hundred yards short of on-coming traffic. I was sure he would surrender and return to his lane. When it was obvious that a head-on collision was imminent, he floors the F-250. Only by the grace of Jesus and more so the guy in the lead car of the on-coming traffic did we survive. Eddie drove the remainder of the trip.

Latest posts