Interesting cow stories, I'd like to hear them

Help Support CattleToday:

Destiney is a cow that does not like to be confined. She is usually the one to find an open gate or a fence gap. She hates head gates, and will get down on her knees and try to crawl through it every time.

I have a cow, she was from the era when we were breeding them the first time at 26 months.. and she had gone to the vet to get dehorned as she was going to have some real cloud-stabbers on her. She's 11 now, and to this day will go psycho-nuts if you put her in that crowding pen!.. we tried a couple times after she calved so she could take care of her calf in peace and it was a bad mistake.. she did a number on the railings trying to jump out.

I had traded for a group of beefmaster cows. 8 big cows 3 yearling heifers and 4or5. Calves. The property had no pens so I went and set up panels and got them all caught. Want home to get the trailer. My grandfather was still around and driving( probably shouldn't have been driving) he gets wind of what's going on and decided to stick his horns in. He pulls up to my house in his old ford pulling his old homemade trailer. Welded metal frame 2x6 boards and about a million nuts and bolts. He built it in the 50s to haul corn and cotton and later repurposed it to a cattle trailer. I was a little apprehensive, but you didn't say no to Red. Plus I decided I would put all the calves in Reds trailer and stuff the rest in mine.
We back both trailers up to the trap on opposite sides. I get in to start sorting and pushing, and of course red crawles in to. Reds 85 ,5foot 4. Inches and about 140 pounds. But you don't say no to him. One of the yearnings immediately decided we were there to kill her and flipped her switch. Runs red flat over and turns back on him. I charged her making lots of noise and she turns and jumps in the old trailer. I shut the door on her and run to check my grandfather. He gets up and growls why don't you have them cows loaded yet. Gets his knife out and starts scraping the manure off his jeans.
Rest of the big cows(obviously been handled some) pretty much loaded themselves. The crazy teenager was about to come out the top of the old trailer. I tied a panel on top and decided lets get this convoy moving. I'll come back for the calves. As soon as we get to black top Red stomps the gas( he drove like a bat out a he11) getting way ahead of me. I kinda catch up when we get to a stop sign a few miles up. As I stop I see some stuff in the road. I recognize the stuff as lumber off reds trailer. I stomp the gas and catch up. I can see the result of Reds sudden stop. The heifer has gone through the front of the trailer. Back legs still in trailer but the rest of her laying on the toung and rear bumper. I'm honking yelling , flashing lights as red speeds off never looking back.
I make the diesel scream as I catch and pass him , pulling a loaded 24 myself. As I passed him still honking the scene I saw was just like one of those funny calender a the feed store gives out. Old man looking straight ahead heifer laying on the tounge of the trailer looking at me with huge eyes. I cut am off and get am stopped. I run back yelling and waving my arms the heifer gets her feet under her and backs BACK IN THE TRAILER. RED guards the hole while I cut some cedar post on the side of the road and patch the hole .
As we start to pull back off Red says , well you'll know better next time.
I knew you were screwing up when you put her in that trailer. :cboy:

I was working cattle with my father years ago. I had followed several big calves into the loading chute and he had closed the gate behind them (and me). I'm not sure exactly what happened, but somehow I lost my footing, and the next thing I knew I was laying flat on my back looking up at the belly of one of the calves. Dad hollered "What do you want me to do?" It didn't take me long to reply "Open the gate and let these calves out!"

Fenceman, again very funny! Glad she was not hurt real bad!
Your grandfather sounds like he was a real character. :)

All some great stories. Thanks for sharing.

I had an old friend pass this summer. She was quite a character. Her name was Jean C. and she was 81 when she passed. Tough and rough as nails, but a very caring heart. She told me a story about her dad and the family jersey milk cow. Not only was she prone to get out and chase bitter weeds, but she had the habit of slinging her tail at milk time. Often times manure covered slapping the milker as well as getting in the milk bucket. One day her dad decided he was tired of the tail swishing and came up with a great plan to stop it. So, he tied a pea weight to her tail. Undoubtably the jeresey was a power lifter, becuase she swished her tail making a perfect connection with the old man's head and the swinging the pea weight, almost rendering him unconscious.
That was the last time he milked the family cow.

I was sorting calves with 2 of my buddies in a barn and got a phone call that I had to take. I motioned for them to keep at it and walked outside to take the call. When I came back about 5 minutes later I immediately noticed that one of the guys had a muddy hoof print just below his knee. I told him that that must of hurt. He said, "coulda been worse", and pointed to my other buddy slumped against the wall with a hoof print on his crotch..

speaking of hoofprints...

We had a MEAN 8 year old cow that for some reason had colostrum for her calf, but no milk, and she was historically a very good milker.. so we sold her 'on the hoof' to some people, and she was slaughtered on the farm. We put her down in the corral, hitched her to the front end loader and hauled her out to skin her out, and the native fellow who bought her was making the cut along the belly when he must have hit a nerve.. and she kicked him right square in the nuts... it was all we could do to not laugh... getting kicked in the nuts by a dead cow doesn't happen too often!

OK, I just got one today

I have a heifer I'm halterbreaking, and she had a nice soft rope around her neck to drag around.. there's nothing she can get tangled in, so it's a good exercise for her to stop when some other cow steps on the rope.
So I go out there this morning and she doesn't have the rope on anymore... I am guessing she flung it off somehow.. I wasn't terribly surprised...

Until I found out it was around her mother's neck!

I would pay to see how they pulled that off!

Well, can't think of a real good cow story so I'll tell this bull story. Well we had gone to TN to look at this Black Simmental Bull. He had been a TN State Fair Grand Champion Bull and really was a large sharp looking dude. It was our 2nd or 3rd trip down there to look at this bull, just couldn't decide if we wanted to spend that much money on the bull even though we all really liked him. The owner had brought the bull out on a halter to show us. Everyone had got in a big way of talking and it had been a good amount of time that the bull had been out of the barn and paddock. For whatever reason he suddenly jerked and pulled away from his owner thankfully the owner didn't get his hand caught or he could have been extremely hurt. Anyhow the bull took off down this long driveway which had a fence on each side toward the busy road. The owner mad and in a frantic yelled at that bull by his name and told him to get his *** back up here. In all of our surprise the bull ended up wheeling around running back up the drive and went right back into the barn and into his stall without any help. Guess he had really got tired of being out on display. It was just what we needed to make the final decision to buy that bull. That bull is what got us in the Register Simmental Seed Stock Business. His pedigree and smart's live on through some daughters in the herd.

For a little while we dabbled in the rodeo cattle world. One day we were loading up some young bulls (yearlings) to take to a competition. We were cutting some out of the herd and they got spooked and circled back through the gate my buddy was working. There was this one that was just a miserable little cuss and always had a bad attitude. When he went by my buddy, he ever so effortlessly reached out with his hind foot and caught him right in the crotch. My buddy hits the ground like a sack of flour and looks right at me "Don't you dare laugh!!" So of course, I did the right thing, I laughed and laughed and laughed. It was by far the funniest thing I had seen in a long time.

FlyingLSimmentals":vca6oj1u said:
Well, can't think of a real good cow story so I'll tell this bull story. Well we had gone to TN to look at this Black Simmental Bull. He had been a TN State Fair Grand Champion Bull and really was a large sharp looking dude. It was our 2nd or 3rd trip down there to look at this bull, just couldn't decide if we wanted to spend that much money on the bull even though we all really liked him. The owner had brought the bull out on a halter to show us. Everyone had got in a big way of talking and it had been a good amount of time that the bull had been out of the barn and paddock. For whatever reason he suddenly jerked and pulled away from his owner thankfully the owner didn't get his hand caught or he could have been extremely hurt. Anyhow the bull took off down this long driveway which had a fence on each side toward the busy road. The owner mad and in a frantic yelled at that bull by his name and told him to get his *** back up here. In all of our surprise the bull ended up wheeling around running back up the drive and went right back into the barn and into his stall without any help. Guess he had really got tired of being out on display. It was just what we needed to make the final decision to buy that bull. That bull is what got us in the Register Simmental Seed Stock Business. His pedigree and smart's live on through some daughters in the herd.

Awesome story & money well spent. My herd knows their names - and I challenge anyone that thinks cattle are stupid or don't have distinct personalities.

Latest posts