Interesting Beef Program

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Breeding success
What's a perfect score? JBS Swift and Simmental breeders say it's 70:70

(MEATPOULTRY.com, October 19, 2007)
by Steve Bjerklie

-------------------------------------------------------------JBS Swift & Co. and the American Simmental Association (ASA) have joined in a new program that, if successful, could significantly change the economics and genetics of beef-cattle production in the United States.

Fundamentally, the program, called "70:70," doesn't do anything that other packer-producer incentive programs don't already do: it rewards cattle producers for raising the kind of cattle Swift wants to buy and process. What's different is that Swift has taken the idea further back in the chain, to the breeders, who in turn will create the seedstock for the cattle Swift wants. Other programs typically stop at the feedlot, with the assumption feed yard managers will encourage cattle producers to give them the cattle the packers demand and pay premiums for.

The 70:70 name comes from the program's incentive goal: if the beef from 70% of a producer's cattle grade USDA Prime or Choice and 70% of the carcasses are Yield Grade 1's or 2's, the producers is rewarded with a premium. To discourage over-feeding, discounts come into effect for animals weighing 1,000 lbs or more. To discourage too much leanness, discounts will also apply to carcasses that quality-grade Select or Standard. Swift will implement the 70:70 program at its Grand Island, Neb., and Greeley, Colo., plants.

Though the program doesn't identify or require Simmental cattle specifically -- unlike the Certified Angus Beef program, 70:70 has no breed or color restrictions – Swift went to the Simmental association because Simmental-Angus crosses tend to produce the kind of well-marbled, low-backfat carcasses Swift wants for its high-quality category customers. The company says 40% of beef quality is determined by cattle genetics – that's why the program was developed with breeders rather than feeders. By starting at the front end of the chain rather than the back end, Swift hopes to influence not just cattle quality but also the producer's thinking. "Producers haven't had reasons to care about carcass traits, just about weight," said one beef executive. Currently, about 50% to 55% of all beef cattle produced quality-grade Choice or higher, and 40% yield-grade 1 or 2, according to USDA. The ASA says the beef industry "is bogged down with historic levels of over-finished cattle" and genetics that create too much waste. In fact, more than 10% of all yield-graded cattle today are Yield Grade 4 or 5.

Jerry Lipsey, executive vice president of ASA, sees potential for 70:70 well beyond some extra dollars for smart cattlemen. "We're hoping this premium payment potential will get tied into a national animal identification program," he tells MEAT&POULTRY. "We're hoping there will be signals sent across the industry and across the country." He says good producers will closely monitor genetics and breeding so the cattle they raise always fit what Lipsey calls "the value grid." Moreover, if other packers and producer associations follow Swift's lead and develop value grids of their own, "the skillful and aware producers of the future will make some strategic matings to fit certain grids. They don't always have to produce just for Swift's grid. There might be another grid that's better for a certain kind of breed and mating."

He admits great progress won't be made quickly. "Organizing beef cattle production in this country is no small task," he says. "The inertia of the beef industry is extremely slow." A big part of the problem is there are essentially two cattle-production industries in the United States: Forty-five percent of the country's 34 million head of beef cattle are raised in herds averaging 18 head, and 55 percent of cattle are raised in herds averaging 300 head. In fact, according to figures from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, there are more than 800,000 cattle producers in the country. While incentive programs like 70:70 are attractive to big ranchers, the small farmers and cattle hobbyists may not see enough return to pay for the investment required to closely manage genetics.

Still, Lipsey is enthusiastic about what his association has created with Swift. "This grid is designed for people who produce good cattle, plain and simple," he says. "We'll have cattle that produce better-tasting beef without a lot of the waste fat. It's a great use of resources."

Sounds to me like one more step towards corporate ag and the producer having so in the marketing of his or her own cattle. Appears me to be the next step to packers owning the cattle birth to kill like they do hogs and chickens.

Jake":3khy6q52 said:
Sounds to me like one more step towards corporate ag and the producer having so in the marketing of his or her own cattle. Appears me to be the next step to packers owning the cattle birth to kill like they do hogs and chickens.
-Jake-

I understand your thinking about "corporate ag", but I would caution you in regard to an excessive bit of skepticism in considering ANY thought about improving the marketing and achievement of what Dr. Lipsey refers to as "the value grid". The Beef Producer of today is just treading water insofar as making any significant progress in improvement of marbling, tenderness, and lowering Yield Grades of carcasses.

The members of this Forum may disagree with me, however I hold these thoughts firmly and resolutely! The 800,000 plus beef producers in this country have been stressing the improvement of the breeding seedstock, which is as it should be, but the FEEDLOT operators are eyeing the business from a different standpoint, and as a result the carcasses are loaded with too much waste fat and not enough well-marbled, edible meat. The cow-calf breeders think (INCORRECTLY) that the bigger cow which has a bigger calf has a head start on making a big weaned feedlot candidate, and more profit for the breeder. WRONG! But we have played that game on these posts before to an UN - resolved conclusion, so I won't belabor the subject further, except to say this: there is NO argument in favor of "Bigger is Better" in the cow-calf business if the goal of the Producer is PROFIT!.

Insofar as the arbitrary figure for achieving success with the producers was set at 70:70 - what would be a more pragmatic combination with which to establish a starting point?? You have to start somewhere! That is what the Associations did 40 some-odd years ago when EPD's came into being. As with most 'good' ideas, EPD's was a terrific PREMISE to begin to get producers to start to think and use in an intelligent manner, but, in my opinion, they have gone overboard with being picky-picky and now have TOO many factors with which to consider and the average beef producer is confused with too many numbers to juggle, and the result is they throw up their hands in disgust and don't use ANY of them in a well-balanced manner. The inmates are running the "Funny Farm", and as a consequence everybody is suffering.

Concentrating on SOME of the Growth Characteristics, and Marbling and Ribeye areas will work to an advantage in approaching the goals of 70:70 if the majority of breeders will get their learning caps on and establish some goals with their BU$INE$$ protocols, instead of just using any old bull to get their cows pregnant and then bitching about why they can't make any money in the %(U(*% cow business! Keep cows that average 1250 lbs, and use Bulls whose genetics are such that they will produce calves which achieve the Growth and Carcass traits and characteristics which will produce PROFIT for all phases of the businesss.

Bovine animals were designed by God to eat grass. It stands to reason that efficient grass-eaters and proper management of natural resources will achieve those PROFIT-MAKING goals. But raising bigger and bigger cows in NOT the answer. Over-finished cattle is also NOT the answer!

It is past time for ALL breeders to start thinking instead of merely reacting to what some 'good-ol'-boy-buddy-down-the-road' - who also hasn't been thinking - comes up with so-called "gospel" and continues to go about raising un-profitable cattle in and un-profitable business.

MODERATION IN ALL THINGS!

DOC HARRIS

I just read my previous post, and I am really TICKED OFF that for the sake of "Political Correctness" my post was automatically changed and censored by removing the Three Letter word which refers to our Creator! ("Bovine animals were designed 'BE NICE' to eat grass") We can refer to Satan and all kinds of Satanic acts in our schools, TV programs, Movies, Government Buildings and say and print voluminous amounts of four-letter words which we taught OUR children to avoid in their lives, but to refer to our Maker in an honest and reverent manner is forbidden!

The Bible says ". . . when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door". My friends, if you are not seeing the 'handwriting on the wall' that is happening EVERY DAY NOW, you are kidding yourselves!

DOC HARRIS

I may be wrong on this, but I beleive that most of the cattle raised today are marketed through the local sale barn. If this is the case there is no reward for genetic improvement in marbeling and rib eye area. Therefore there is no advantage for the average producer to breed for these qualities. Of one is breeding for good carcass then he has to direct market in order to reep any benefit. Although I understand there is new technoligy that can measure at location.
EPD,s were slow to catch on, and still today there are those that place no value on them. Today we have DNA evaluations that when combined with EPD,s can improve the quality of meat produced and the efficiency in the feedlot. Like EPD,s it will take a while to catch on. And there will be those that will never accept it at all.
Many of the fairs and cattle shows still reward the largest animals as being the best. The Brahman assoc. has put a limit on size per age for show cattle. I do not know about any others.
It is up to the seedstock producer to develope these carcass
quality genetics within their stock. Eventually they will be passed down into the herds of the commercial cattle producer.

You are right; BUT that is a very dangerous attitude long term. MOST cow/calf guys DO market through the local sale barn and have no idea what their calves carcass traits ARE like or ARE NOT like. That does not mean that none of them will ever ask about carcass traits during the marketing process. Also it is possible that some do or will retain ownership at the feedlot or they may ultrasound a kid's show steer. I would hate for the cattle's performance to in any way disapoint a regular customer.

Also if I read this board right Michigan has mandated EID tags and premises ID. I think MANDATORY nationwide EID tags and premises ID is likely in the near future. I think it is likely that packers will start collecting data on where the good cattle and the bad cattle are coming from and assemble a database matching that info to the premises ID. WHEN there is a database (and I don't know if that is 5 or 10 years out) assembled telling order buyers that the calves from farm xyz10123445Z.* seldom grade choice and are usually yield grade 4.2 and that appears on a screen in the salebarn there WILL be a dock and the owner of the calves is probably going to blame his seedstock source.

This seems like waay waay out in the future (and it may be); but a Seedstock producer who makes a keep or cull decision on a heifer today will likely have that same cow in his herd ten years from now and bulls from that cow could easily still be siring commercial calves 16 years from now. IF you waited to the last minute to start looking at carcass traits your commercial customers COULD possibly get hammered at sale time and they may or may not come back to you when you improve your carcass performance. I am not advocating making marbling, ribeye area, and ultrasound backfat measures the primary traits one selects for; BUT given the amount of genetic lines out there you can purchase for your breeding program it does not make any sense to ignore those traits in a breeding program.

DOC HARRIS":n75xxtrr said:
I just read my previous post, and I am really TICKED OFF that for the sake of "Political Correctness" my post was automatically changed and censored by removing the Three Letter word which refers to our Creator! ("Bovine animals were designed 'BE NICE' to eat grass") We can refer to Satan and all kinds of Satanic acts in our schools, TV programs, Movies, Government Buildings and say and print voluminous amounts of four-letter words which we taught OUR children to avoid in their lives, but to refer to our Maker in an honest and reverent manner is forbidden!

The Bible says ". . . when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door". My friends, if you are not seeing the 'handwriting on the wall' that is happening EVERY DAY NOW, you are kidding yourselves!

DOC HARRIS

My daily speech is often colored with words that probably are inappropriate for these boards; but there is something wrong with a computer program that makes the word God into 'that G-word'. God (meaning THE universal creator) or god (as Zeus was an ancient Greek deity) are not dirty words and should not become 'the G-word',........the moral equivalence of 'the n-word', the 's-word', the 'd-word', 'the f-word', etc.

I just tested it Doc and it appears that the mods have heard you and have made the appropriate changes. Good job mods. I think I will test 'the J-word' next

This is a test. This is only a test......

now saying......" Jesus "

I am very small in the cattle business and the first to say that I could do much better. When I have to answer to one company or person to the quality and kind of critter I have to produce I will Plant houses on my not so great pasture and do nothing. I think this is just another way to do away with the small business as has happened in many other professions. I have after many year gotten the kind of cattle that will be in top 10% at the local sale barn. This happened because I was trying to get cattle that was best adapted to the weather, terrain and soil.

I see our chicken growers work all their live paying for their house and up grades to satisfy the company. In the end they have nothing but the old houses and land for the life time of work. I realize that is their choice and that it should be. I am afraid the cattle business will be the same when it can be forced on us.

DOC HARRIS":3a9hwwsk said:

DOC HARRIS

Thanks for getting this fixed DOC!

I think it starts with the buyers paying premiums for better genetics not color and size. Breeders and buyers need to get together to show which genetics will pay premiums for the offspring. If I have 20 moma cows that are red and cross them on a blk bull I will get avg or better than at the yard. The buyer doesn't know the cattle or the producer he just knows they are blk hided. Now if I can buy a avg. blk bull for 1000 to 1500 and run on my cows to produce market avg or better why not. Keeps cost down and sales high. How do you change that? Point out those genetics that pay premiums, the buyers willing to pay for them. Producers make more for their calves they pay more for their bulls. I dont think we are looking at birth to plate operations. I think better relationships between buyer, breeder and producers are whats needed. We have an A to Z program through the university extention. You need at least five head. They track the calve from time received to plate, then report back info. You dont receive payment until they hit the slaughter house. I think their are programs like this every where. For a small or big producer its great. As for EID tags how will they get paid for. Out of pocket expense or a trickle down efect. Most likely out of pocket. The branded lable marketing I think is also a factor that is hurting our system. It has contributed to the blk hide craze. We have CAB, CHB. Next CCB, CBB; then Montana Beef, Idaho Beef, Texas Beef. The consumers will be so confused they will shy away. The only marketing the consumer should see is USDA Choice-Product of USA. Let the consumer decide between Select, Choice, Prime, and Foreign. The USA produces the safest beef out their; promote that and what we do to keep it that way. Let the producer chose what breed and size. Obviously genetic improvement isn't going to happen over night; but if producers are paid premiums for the right genetics and discounted for the wrong genetics then you will either avg. the bottom of the sale with "just" blk calves or top it with better genetics.

What do you all think about that huwey :lol:

TB-Herefords":3dbiklg6 said:
The consumers will be so confused they will shy away. The only marketing the consumer should see is USDA Choice-Product of USA. Let the consumer decide between Select, Choice, Prime, and Foreign.
What do you all think about that huwey :lol:

I think it is fairly well accepted knowledge that grade does
not equal tenderness. Your are correct in saying that the
supermarket customer only has grade to be a guide in
selection. Too bad---maybe someday that will change.
Most likely not however, and only the direct-market
consumer will be able to rely upon tenderness from a
source that they trust. JMO.

Doesn't Marbling have a direct relation to tenderness and Flavor? I don't think it is possible to get a tough steak that is well marlbed; unless overcooked. Unother marketing problem; I think lots of us have seen or watched a program on RFDTV. During those programs you see commercials on beef and beef saftey, lots of quality promotion. That's great, now lets get them on regular TV so we can promote that to public not the industry. Just my opinon. What happend to BEEF IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER? I haven't seen that promotion for a long time.

The company farm has increased the cattle herd this summer,as there is plenty of hay off the fields irrigated with pig effluent. Investments in recent years into the cattle industry are increasing, but so are the investments in their Bazilian beef interests,setting up an import link which will give acess to local markets through the locally owned packing houses, giving an even greater controll over priced and supplies.

We have the choice of breeds known to have the beef quality and tenderness for us to be able to choose which breeds and crosses will perform in our environments, to supply the end product demanded by the consumer, just one example of the type of comparative research done in recent years;

Ribeye Area

Breed IN2 IN2/WT
Angus 13.1 / 0.0203
Sen X 12.9 /0.0200
Tuli X 13.5 /0.0215
Bra X 13.6 / 0.0185

Tuli had more ribeye/pound of carcass when expressed on a per unit of weight basis.

Meat Quality

Breed Marbling % Ch Shear
Angus 5.5 / 82.1 / 11.8
Tuli X 5.3 / 67.4 / 13.5
Bra X 4.8 / 28.5 / 17.6

The Shear score indicate that Tuli meat requires less force to penetrate,which translates to more tender meat.

Marbling Score

Breed 4.0=Ch

Angus 3.95
Sen X 3.97
Tuli X 3.97
Bra X 3.79

Slaughter done at IBP in Amarillo. Tuli scored much higher than Brahman and edged out Angus.

Taste Panel

Breed Tender Juici. Flavour
Angus 5.0 / 5.2 / 4.6
Tuli X 5.0 / 5.3 / 4.6
Bra X 4.1 / 4.8 / 4.4

Tests included both Tuli and Brahman crossed to both Angus and Hereford. Tuli scored highest surpassing Angus.

These comparisons of heat resistant breeds, using the Angus as the benchmark were conducted as unbiased research before either the Tuli or Senepol were available to the commercial cattleman. Similar comparisons are available for other breeds with good marbling and shear force measurements, there are plenty of breeds available for use in commercial crossbreeding programs.

andybob":fh14xady said:
The company farm has increased the cattle herd this summer,as there is plenty of hay off the fields irrigated with pig effluent. Investments in recent years into the cattle industry are increasing, but so are the investments in their Bazilian beef interests,setting up an import link which will give acess to local markets through the locally owned packing houses, giving an even greater controll over priced and supplies.

We have the choice of breeds known to have the beef quality and tenderness for us to be able to choose which breeds and crosses will perform in our environments, to supply the end product demanded by the consumer, just one example of the type of comparative research done in recent years;

Ribeye Area

Breed IN2 IN2/WT
Angus 13.1 / 0.0203
Sen X 12.9 /0.0200
Tuli X 13.5 /0.0215
Bra X 13.6 / 0.0185

Tuli had more ribeye/pound of carcass when expressed on a per unit of weight basis.

Meat Quality

Breed Marbling % Ch Shear
Angus 5.5 / 82.1 / 11.8
Tuli X 5.3 / 67.4 / 13.5
Bra X 4.8 / 28.5 / 17.6

The Shear score indicate that Tuli meat requires less force to penetrate,which translates to more tender meat.

Marbling Score

Breed 4.0=Ch

Angus 3.95
Sen X 3.97
Tuli X 3.97
Bra X 3.79

Slaughter done at IBP in Amarillo. Tuli scored much higher than Brahman and edged out Angus.

Taste Panel

Breed Tender Juici. Flavour
Angus 5.0 / 5.2 / 4.6
Tuli X 5.0 / 5.3 / 4.6
Bra X 4.1 / 4.8 / 4.4

Tests included both Tuli and Brahman crossed to both Angus and Hereford. Tuli scored highest surpassing Angus.

These comparisons of heat resistant breeds, using the Angus as the benchmark were conducted as unbiased research before either the Tuli or Senepol were available to the commercial cattleman. Similar comparisons are available for other breeds with good marbling and shear force measurements, there are plenty of breeds available for use in commercial crossbreeding programs.
The problem with tests like this is they are an average of several anamals. The test is not true for each individual animal.
There are those individuals within every breed that will excel in certain desireable traits. These are the individuals that should selected for seedstock, no matter what the breed. The assumption that an animal has these traits just because it is a certain breed can lead to the downfall of the desireable traits within that breed. One individual bull without the desireable traits can breed out the desireable traits of an entire herd and its progeny.
Through carcass evaluation, EPD's,ultrsound,DNA testing and other tools we have the ability to make proper selection of the seedstock we produce. No matter what the breed, or color.

Marbleing is not an indicator of tenderness. I beleive Murry Gray breeders will support that statement.

DOC HARRIS":11b2zn34 said:

DOC HARRIS

Amen Doc

Interesting how a program based on science, rather than promotion garners so little conversation.

Badlands

Latest posts