insecticide ear tags/cattle rub

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a cattle rub out of ear tags.I have tried other rubs(oil and powder)- and I don't like dealing with them.
Rubs make sense for us as the pour-ons don't last quite long enough and they don't stay long enough to be worth retreating.
Skipping the pourons and just using the eartag rubs for several groups(in succession) would even save us money.

I saw a cattlerub that someone made by hanging ear tags for the calves to rub on. the way they made it they went completely under them. I am wondering if just hanging them across the feedbunk where they would only rub their head would do any good?

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":32yl6r8m said:
The tags don't work on the cows why would they work off the cow?

Now that is the truth. I got a good laugh out of this one I could just see hundreds of little yellow tags hanging from a string to form a rub.

Chemical Fly control-- backrubs are usually a powder in a bag or an oil soaked bag(very simplified) that the cattle rub on and transfer the chemical.
Inscecticide ear tags are usually pierced into the cattles ear and they rub the chemical on themselves and herdmates.

Personally we like the oilers. We buy the 2' wide ones with drap and resevior. cheap. Hang them between two trees in the pasture. Have one in each pasture and the winter feeding areas. took a couple of years to do this. Then the cows use them year round. Now we are looking to put some in the feed pens.
cheaper than a fly tag that rarely works or work for two months when an oiler can work year round.
No more fighting to put a fly Tag in or cutting the old one out.

Latest posts