Injury or Joint ILL??

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Holstein bull calf, three weeks old.

105lbs. Temp 102.3, eating, manure, urine are all very good. Bright eyes, alert ears, etc.

Yesterday calf's right knee started to swell up. The left knee had a touch of swelling. Calf will put weight on left knee, but other than walking in pen to bottle, etc, will not put weight on right knee.

This morning right knee was swollen to the size of a baseball, while the left knee stayed the same.

This evening, the knees appear the same.

Is this joint ill? If so, what other symptoms might I find or look for?

Thank you, and now for the followup question.

How do I treat it? I have found vauge answers to this, but nothing specific.

The only time I saw it treated succesfully was with large doses of long acting pen every couple of days for a month or so. It's off label so you might want to ask a vet for sure.

We use nuflor IM every other day and a non steriodal anti inflam every day until it is cleared. When we think it is cleared we give a SQ shot of nuflor lasting 4 days.

travlnusa":fpald9tl said:

If I were you, I would be pm'ing Milkmaid, and doing a search on joint ill/naval ill on these boards. She has successfully fought off joint/naval ill in at least one of her calves, and posted about what she did to achieve that.

Do you know if the calf was ever vaccinated for Haemophilus somnus? That is what it sounds like to me.

somn":9env9vaa said:
Do you know if the calf was ever vaccinated for Haemophilus somnus? That is what it sounds like to me.

Is that where you got your screen name or did they name the bacteria after you? ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

travlnusa":194gwx9h said:

Open them up manual, make a slit and let it drain, vet recommended this for a young calf of mine that had e-coli move into his bloodstream that made him swell in his ankle, he was a long shot to save but he is still looking good

Latest posts