Help! 6 Week old bull calf- joint ill

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you so much. I didn't realize how much I was fighting for him to live until I realized he wouldn't. I still don't know what made me so attached to this one calf, but I will say he taught me a lot in his few weeks!
I think it's less 'being attached to THIS one calf' but rather 'fighting for A life'.
We all get so engaged fighting nature when an animal get's sick, it becomes personal. It's so tough and frustrating when they don't respond to treatment and it hurts when ones efforts are not repaid with success and life. It just plain sucks.
One little mention, maybe you knew that already, but anyway....... navel and joint ill can turn into meningitis. Maybe that's where your calf was heading or already there. Not sure if you ever took it's temperature, you didn't mention.
By the way, thanks for sharing your (and everyone else) story. Not sure if it makes sense, but reading about other farmers problems with cattle is somewhat consoling for me. No it does not make me happy!! It reminds me that I'm not the only one who experiences tough times, frustration or better say 'crap going on' with the animals.

Thank you so much. I didn't realize how much I was fighting for him to live until I realized he wouldn't. I still don't know what made me so attached to this one calf, but I will say he taught me a lot in his few weeks!
Over the years I've lost hunting dogs I raised from orphaned pups. When something happens to these dogs whether by accident or disease, it's like a sucker punch. Finding a stillborn calf last year for the first time was pretty overwhelming. Had me second guessing my decision to raise "more" animals. Yes, I agree that some will get to you. I hope to see all the animals I raised over the years again. In the meantime, there will always be another who needs our help. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts