Information on JD 4630's ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have found a JD 4630 that am thinking of buying, i have a loader with mounts that will work on it, the price is right and I just want a second tractor to have around when hauling hay to unload trucks and for other busy times and was woundering if I could switch the 1000 PTO to a 540 like you can with the the JD 4430's?? I think this 4630 came out in 1976, Thanks for any help you can give me?? 101

101":1evrnmbn said:
I have found a JD 4630 that am thinking of buying, i have a loader with mounts that will work on it, the price is right and I just want a second tractor to have around when hauling hay to unload trucks and for other busy times and was woundering if I could switch the 1000 PTO to a 540 like you can with the the JD 4430's?? I think this 4630 came out in 1976, Thanks for any help you can give me?? 101

I don't know squat about the conversion but I did find the following comment about the subject and regarding the 4630:

"You can purchase a spline adaptor to get from 1000 splines to 540 splines. You then run 1200 on the tach and your PTO will be running at 540. If you need a high horsepower 540, this will not work. The engine is gutless at this RPM as you are below peak torque."

You might want to check the validity of this claim with a JD Mechanic and then go from there.

Thanks James T for your help, I had a feeling it would not be simple like the smaller JD 4430's with just switching one shaft for the other, We do have a one or two good JD mechanics around that I can visit with, Thanks again for your help. 101

Thanks jedstivers for the help, I was thinking of useing the tractor on my 688 baler that is 540, I will see about going to a 1000 gear box and drive chaft !! Again thanks for your help. 101

4630s were designed to PULL at the high end of the RPM range and are bad to the bone pulling with duals. To much power to stick to the ground with single tires, will get wheel spin with very much load. 404 ci engine with blower and inner-cooled. They are dogs at low RPM and don't handle well in tight places. No lugging power. Syncro range transmissions feel very heavy when shifting.
4230 would be better choice for the work you are describing. Same engine but naturally asperated. 540 or 1000 rpm shafts
4430 Same engine with just a blower.

Thanks OleScout !! We have had a 1977 4430 with a PQ tran. for years, also a JD 7700 MFD, and I like to drive the 4430 except when bad mud or on ice !! We drove this the 4630 the other day and it felt just like our 4430, this 4630 has a PS and has been up dated with a 40 series engine and sounds and feels very strong, It will be doing what ever both smaller tractors have been doing, and I was thinking the 40 series engine would start better and maybe be better on fuel. Thanks again for your time and reply !! 101

101":2s84tce3 said:
Thanks OleScout !! We have had a 1977 4430 with a PQ tran. for years, also a JD 7700 MFD, and I like to drive the 4430 except when bad mud or on ice !! We drove this the 4630 the other day and it felt just like our 4430, this 4630 has a PS and has been up dated with a 40 series engine and sounds and feels very strong, It will be doing what ever both smaller tractors have been doing, and I was thinking the 40 series engine would start better and maybe be better on fuel. Thanks again for your time and reply !! 101
40 series won't start any better, have to get to 50 series to start. You can put two 12 high cca on them and help. If they are parked at electricity they are fine to start.

Yes jedstivers !!! I know all about the JD 30 series and electricity, I was hoping the newer engine might start better, I will say this JD 7700 will start, we had it away from home one time and way below 0 and it never turned over twice before it was running, just don't want to do that again. We do keep all inside a cold shop and will put on a power cord when cold, just don't like to ask for these repairs ?? Thanks again for your input.. 101

Thanks DirtyShame for the help, We did pick up the tractor, have not used it much yet, will put my loader on it soon and see how it goes, we can put it to work even with the 1000 pto. Thanks again all! 101

I have heard you can get an external gear reduction box (made) to slide over the 1000 with a 540 out the bottom. Not sure how durable. I have the same PTO issue with my 4620.

Galloway2, now that sounds interesting, I have not heard of anything like that before I will look around and see what I can come up with, the hardest it would be worked is on the baler and I usually like my bales around 1050# to 1100#, just easy'er to haul 2 at a time with the loader so the baler is not working real hard. Thanks 101

Hey, you can try mascus if you're still looking for this JD, they have plenty of offers, a relative of mine found his John Deere 9770 there. But if you get it from different source, write how much did you pay, I want to make a price comparison between different offers.

Cheers!

Latest posts