Inconsistent Bred Cow Auction Prices ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
It seems like 1 out of 3 cow sales is a lot lower than the other two. Calf sales are more consistent since there are a lot less weekend ranchers bidding. The time of year and number of cows are hints - - but there is no way of knowing for sure if it is going to a "good sale". The sales barn owners tend to buy heavily at these low sales, and then run "their" cows back through at a later sale... Obviously they do not have to pay commission nor trucking so there is very little transaction cost.

Any tips on how to approach this as a small time seller short of bidding to protect your own cows and heifers?
Any tips on private treaty sales for a handful of animals?

I would think at the sale they would let you put a reserve price on the animal. A price that if the bidding doesn't reach that point it is a no sale. I always try and put a limit on what I will take for mine. It keeps from getting stories like they got sick while at the barn or they went through the ring limping from hurting their leg at the barn etc when they were walking fine at home and off the trailer. Of course you still have to pay commission etc. But it keeps you from taking a big loss for no reason. I would rather pay the 30 bucks per animal commission and go pick up my animals than say take 100 -200 bucks an animal less than what they should bring.

sounds like the sales with the up and down prices dont have enough buyers there.the type of cows has something todo with the prices as well.

I've noticed this a lot at sales as well. I think it has a lot to do with who happens to be there to buy that day. Calf buyers are always at every sale while bred cow buyers seem to be less consistent.

Toad":2o9fuvog said:
I've noticed this a lot at sales as well. I think it has a lot to do with who happens to be there to buy that day. Calf buyers are always at every sale while bred cow buyers seem to be less consistent.

We have been "blessed" with out of state cow buyers recently, but they are not all at every sale. When they are there they buy a couple pot loads each and it makes a difference. On better cows it can vary $250 to $400 a head.
I will check into setting a reserve. Good tip.

I was at a sale last Wednesday and 10 bred cows from the same outfit got sold. They were all nice cows but a little flighty. The one's that acted really wild brought up to $ 500.00 less than the calmer ones. If the guy that owned the cow's wasn't at the sale he's raising cane. But I saw it first hand, how a cow showing it's butt can cost you money.

highgrit":khv8xynn said:
I was at a sale last Wednesday and 10 bred cows from the same outfit got sold. They were all nice cows but a little flighty. The one's that acted really wild brought up to $ 500.00 less than the calmer ones. If the guy that owned the cow's wasn't at the sale he's raising cane. But I saw it first hand, how a cow showing it's butt can cost you money.

They often show their butt because of how much the handlers are juicing them with electricity just before they come in the ring.

Toad":2cj2w4jy said:

I guess its good we have an agreement huh toad .. I bid on claves you bid on the breds :)

Here in my part of the country, I can buy cows at a regular weekly sale much cheaper than at a bred cow special sale.
The special sales draw in buyers from the Midwest. The cows are aged and pregged and the buyers have the available numbers to fill their pots.
The drawback of the regular sales is that they are just sold with a statement. Sometimes the auction owner will call me when he has good young cows coming in to a regular sale...and he knows much about them.
Hopefully KT, dmf,Texas Papaw or Jed will post on this thread.

jasonleonard said:
Here in my part of the country, I can buy cows at a regular weekly sale much cheaper than at a bred cow special sale.
The special sales draw in buyers from the Midwest. The cows are aged and pregged and the buyers have the available numbers to fill their pots.
/quote]

Depends. Sometimes the order buyers are at the weekly. Sometimes they run out of buyers at the special sales.
I agree that having someone call you when there are "good ones" for sale can make a big difference.

denvermartinfarms":1xqr4pt1 said:
Best way to protect them is be there bid on them and buy them back.
Yes, I can never understand how people can work all year with the cattle doing everything they can to make a profit and then just take them to the sale and leave.
I buy several cows through out the year. More on the weekly sales. A good percentage of the weekly sale cows here come back through on a special sale. We dont have enough numbers recently to have enough to send to the midwest. I could send Jed and Angus Cowman a load almost anytime but a load is hard to get now. Thin cows are even harder to find.

Just cows that can be taken better care of, wormed, and turned out on cheap grazing for the winter. They will gain weight, look lots better and a high percentage of them will be bred when they resell. Might not be an option where you are and having to feed a lot.

Around here, most of the special replacement cow sales are what I call "mad money magnets". Seems the majority of buyers at the specials have been to few if any other sales recently and come with the intent to buy X amount of cows. When a group of cows they like comes in the ring they will bid them to quite high prices before letting someone else buy them. Unless there is a very large number of cows, the cows usually run out before the money does, so most cows sell at premium prices. Have seen a few very large (3000+ cows) replacement sales where the money ran out before the cows and in the later part of the sale there were actually some good buys. At most of the more moderate size sales, cows brought premium prices until the end. At the regular weekly sales, it can greatly depend upon what buyers are present that particular day. Due to our areas drought reduced cow numbers, for most of the past year it seems there is a different crop of "mad money buyers" at every weekly sale trying to cash in on high calf prices by buying bred cows and pairs but prices are still not as insane as at the special sales.

kenny thomas said:
Just cows that can be taken better care of, wormed, and turned out on cheap grazing for the winter. They will gain weight, look lots better and a high percentage of them will be bred when they resell. Might not be an option where you are and having to feed a lot.[/quote

Not many young feeder cows and no cheap winter grazing in the arctic, but we do have our share of thin mostly broken mouth bred cows. Most folks will not touch them and they are not worth trucking west or south. You can pick through the broken mouths for about $1.10 per pound right now. A few red running age cows for $1.17 per pound. An inject-able wormer and a couple weeks of corn silage does wonders.

I bought some late last winter and got some angus X calves. I forced myself to calculate what I netted on thin old bred cows vs. bred heifers - - and then resold the ones I did not like for a higher price last week. Only one (1610 pounder) went to kill. Most went about $200 over kill price. A key was that they all had gained a couple hundred pounds and looked good. One gained 380 pounds. :nod:

Seems like a fast low cost way to build numbers as long as you can isolate them, and then get some energy into them.

Stocker Steve":39f9su5g said:
kenny thomas":39f9su5g said:
Just cows that can be taken better care of, wormed, and turned out on cheap grazing for the winter. They will gain weight, look lots better and a high percentage of them will be bred when they resell. Might not be an option where you are and having to feed a lot.[/quote

Not many young feeder cows and no cheap winter grazing in the arctic, but we do have our share of thin mostly broken mouth bred cows. Most folks will not touch them and they are not worth trucking west or south. You can pick through the broken mouths for about $1.10 per pound right now. A few red running age cows for $1.17 per pound. An inject-able wormer and a couple weeks of corn silage does wonders.

I bought some late last winter and got some angus X calves. I forced myself to calculate what I netted on thin old bred cows vs. bred heifers - - and then resold the ones I did not like for a higher price last week. Only one (1610 pounder) went to kill. Most went about $200 over kill price. A key was that they all had gained a couple hundred pounds and looked good. One gained 380 pounds. :nod:

Seems like a fast low cost way to build numbers as long as you can isolate them, and then get some energy into them.

If you have an economical feed source, those thin broke mouth breds will really turn a flip with good nutrition. Sounds like you are buying them for their kill value. Anytime I can buy a decent medium to heavy bred cow for her kill value, will buy her. With newborn calves worth $3-400/hd and value will increase $3/day for at least 6 months afterwards there is little downside to that buy. Possibly look at a silage/ddg/corn stalk ration for economy or just silage+ protein for faster growth. Get her slick looking and heavy bred by spring and won't be hard to sell her when grass is green or can calve her out then sell later. Have several options with them when get them slick and past winter.

Latest posts