If you were putting a new floor in a Stock trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Treated 2X6's is about all I see. Some folks use 6X6, 6ga corral panel stapled down over the 2X6's to help the cattle keep their footing and there are those that cry that the metal cattle panel hurts the poor babies feet so those folks use the rubber mat. I personally use the corral panel. The rubber mat get slicker than snot when the cattle start pooping all over it. JMO

I use 2X8 rough cut white oak, with a corral panel stapled on it.
I soak it with 1/2 used motor oil and 1/2 diesel when it is good and dry.
It will last alot longer than treated pine.

Sorry to hijack the post but: Hay Maker, since it is so close to November how about posting pictures of some nice Axis bucks again? I hope you have your smokehouse all spruced up and ready to put it to use. Do you ever let your sausages hang for a few weeks or so, like so many of the places that sell hard, dried links in the Hill Country do?

No Arnold,havent thought about hunting much been a busy year but I guess I better get the smoke house cleaned out and some wood cut.
i seen a couple nice axis bucks when I was cutting some hay a couple weeks ago,they been living in my hay fields,getting pretty fat on that red top
Yes I let the sausage hang a few weeks,weather pretty much dictates how long they hang.................good luck

Several years ago I bought a used stock trailer with rubber boards. When dry, these rubber boards are great. But as you know, you never haul a consipated cow. I thought they were great until I used the trailer to haul the bull.

Cow poop plus rubber boards equals one slippery mess.

My stock trailer now has corral pannel stapled down on top of the rubber boards.

Deffentaly a wood floor....and a cattle panel on it, gives 'um a good grip

ALACOWMAN":2zzkda7x said:
i use 2x6 rough cut oak

That is what we used in a replacement floor for our stock trailor. Plus we added some rough cut cedar 1x2 strips on top of that (placed about every 2 feet) so the cattle would have a something that would help them not to slip.

The rubber is best. I would use walnut or eastern red cedar. We have all our flat trailers in walnut and the stock trailer in eastern red cedar. The lowboy has been in over 15 years and the stock trailer is over 10 years. Have never replaced any boards, all is still solid. They stay outside and the boards on the lowboy is not chewed up as the oak would.

Oiled down oak on 4 trailers. Most carry heavy equipment. It lasts for years. I do not like treated pine as it is very brittle and can crack and beak out.
I do not like rubber or anything else that lasts forever as after several years the floor needs to be taken out anyway just for inspection of the steel they are mounted to. Manure and urine are corrosive. The steel needs to be cleaned and painted after several years of use. I do not care how good you clean. You cannot get out what has fallen between some of the places you cannot see. Those are also the places the take the longest to dry or when you wash or have been peed on.

Over here I use Turpentine if I can get it . It doesn't rot and termites wont eat it because of its silica content . Its a durability 1 class timber.If you have the time and the notion then look for a durability 1 timber in your area and use that . No need of coatings or oil

For the traction I put 2x4's down 2 flat ,one on edge then two flat again and so on. Gives a softer raised edge to steady stock.
I cut plastic ag pipe in 1 " pieces and nail these crushed sideways with gal clouts to the sides of the timber and these space each board and let the air flow and the moisture out. You just hose the floor down

I suppose you could just nail the same agpipe pieces straight to the floor for traction

Earl Thigpen":2f1ttu4m said:
Treated 2X6's is about all I see. Some folks use 6X6, 6ga corral panel stapled down over the 2X6's to help the cattle keep their footing and there are those that cry that the metal cattle panel hurts the poor babies feet so those folks use the rubber mat. I personally use the corral panel. The rubber mat get slicker than snot when the cattle start pooping all over it. JMO
I just shake from fear everytime I see a trailer with any type of cattle panels stapled to the floor. I have nightmares with visions of never ending toe abscesses. In fact after banding steers it is cattle off lush pastures hauled in trailers with cattle panels stapled to the floors that is my second biggest reason not to buy those cattle. Banded steers hauled in trailers with cattle panels on the floor will never knowingly come onto my farm.

I have hauled cattle for yrs and have never had a prob with the cattle panels giving them abcesses or anyother foot problems maybe you need cattle with tougher feet bring them to Mo and let them run on mine and Duns rocky pastures to toughen them up

I would rather see a panel in a trailer than a bare floor or mats because when you get them there they are at least standing up not being walked on by all the other cows

K2011":3ue1eoj3 said:
Deffentaly a wood floor....and a cattle panel on it, gives 'um a good grip

I agree. Those cattle panels do help give them a grip. You wont want to forget that.

Angus Cowman":3usd0792 said:
I have hauled cattle for yrs and have never had a prob with the cattle panels giving them abcesses or anyother foot problems maybe you need cattle with tougher feet bring them to Mo and let them run on mine and Duns rocky pastures to toughen them up

I would rather see a panel in a trailer than a bare floor or mats because when you get them there they are at least standing up not being walked on by all the other cows
I would say if you have never had any abcesses in all the years you have hauled cattle you are either very lucky or you haven't hauled many cattle. Cattle coming off soft lush pastures then thru a salebarn have a very high incidence of abcesses add to that the irregularity caused by the cattle panel instead of a smooth floor you have a recipe for disaster. Seen it to many times.

I rebuilt my little stock trailer a year or so ago.

Had had roughcut oak 2X6 floor for years.

I cut it out and after repairs to trailer put in a new oak floor. I coated twice with linseed oil.
then I put down rubber mats. Mats are not fastened.

I haul horses and cows in same trailer. Horses not problem.

Cows I wash trailer after every use. Periodically pull the mats and wash completely.

Every now and again pull the boards and will recoat with linseed oil.

the horses do well on the mats. would not dream of putting horses on cattle panels.

pdfangus":weq1u6zo said:
I rebuilt my little stock trailer a year or so ago.

Had had roughcut oak 2X6 floor for years.

I cut it out and after repairs to trailer put in a new oak floor. I coated twice with linseed oil.
then I put down rubber mats. Mats are not fastened.

I haul horses and cows in same trailer. Horses not problem.

Cows I wash trailer after every use. Periodically pull the mats and wash completely.

Every now and again pull the boards and will recoat with linseed oil.

the horses do well on the mats. would not dream of putting horses on cattle panels.

I agree horses and cattle panels are a disaster

Latest posts