If I Were An Inventor......

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
I think I could get rich by coming up with a product that would degrade cow manure into dirt in a 24 hour period and cover up the scent. I'm experimenting with pasture rotation and have divided my 18 acres of pasture into 3 sections and running 14 head. It's working fairly well so far but as I take them off of one pasture, I notice all the green, tall grass areas about one yard in diameter surrounding each cow pie. I bet if they were all in one place side by side it would amount to an extra acre of grass that the cows won't touch. This time of year when the cows are on lush grass you can't bust it up, just smear it. I've been trying to think of some way to speed up the process. Maybe a diluted mixture of water and "Rid-X" septic tank treatment with a grass scented deodorizor mixed in.
Trying to raise cattle on a small farm sure causes one to have strange ideas doesn't it? :lol:

Hasbeen

Dung beetles will spread & breakdown the manure in your pastures at no charge. If you have none, blame it on wormers as most are quite toxic to dung beetles.

I understand Cydectin & Safegard are not toxic to the beetles. I have recently discontinued Ivomec for this reason. Too soon for any good results yet.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Drag your pastures when you rotate the cows out. It will spread out the manure and make the breakdown process quicker. We have a tire drag we made that workd well for knocking down piles and anthills.

You can safely use Ivomec in Nov/ Dec to control liver flukes and not harm Dung Beetles. They are dormant in the winter.

I've used Ivomec in Dec., Cydexin and Safeguard in the spring and summer. I have dung beetles in nearly every pile.

we drag ours too, breaks the piles up pretty good, especially where the hay rings have been through the winter, we keep em spread out from here to yonder to help not tear up the ground,

One thing I always thought would be neat would be to have a fence posts that is metal at the top and bottom and wood in the middle. When you think about it, it is easier to put up t-posts, but easier to tack fence to wood posts. You could hit the top and drive the metal bottom into the ground. I am sure it would be expensive, but I though it would be neat.

NO ONE GO STEALING MY IDEA NOW! J

I will be famous one day! J

i would like to invent a dumbass repellant but i couldnt use it b/c that would be counterproductive. :eek:

It is funny that ya'll are talking about inventions. I currently have a patent on a system for construction and the other night I told my wife I wanted to invent a hay mover that you could use from your truck. I started drawing it up and came up with a few good ideas and then got on the internet and pulled up hay bale movers and lo and behold somebody already stole my idea. :lol: I saw some great hay movers but unfortunately I do not thing they are marketing them very hard. I would have one I could use witth my truck instead of owning a tractor anyday.

P.S.
I just bought some fire retardant 6x6 post for a construction job in Panama City.

Part of the reason the grass gets tall around the manure piles is that it is more matured than the grass that is grazed every day. Cows like young tinder grass much better than over grown grass. Even when the manure is degraded by the dung beetles, the remaining grass in those spots has over grown. If I get a lot of this I sometimes bushhog the pasture as soon as the cattle are rotated out. You may also have to drag.
A hay cutter does a very nice job. It just depends on how much grass you got.

You know to us most anything is conceivable. But years ago it wasn't. While my Mom was picking cotton as a young girl she told my grandad. " I sure wish somebody would come up with something to pick cotton" His reply was, " Now babie, you know it ain't no way anyone could ever do that" That was a differant era. We came up in a age of inventions and are not surprised at what comes up next. BTW my granddad did live long enough to see a cotton picker in action. His cotton was picked by one and sprayed by air as well in his later years.

My Father in law invested quite a bit of money on a citrus picking machine. The patent they were pursuing shook the trees until the oranges fell off the trees. This was 30 years ago and he claims the only reason they turned down the patent was it would put so many workers out of work. True story.

I just wish somebody would have invented a post hole auger with a REVERSE lever before somebody else invented post drivers... :lol:

Nothing like 'unscrewing' an auger out of heavy clay with a piece of rebar... :mad:

Texas PaPaw":3hbfgzr5 said:
Hasbeen

Dung beetles will spread & breakdown the manure in your pastures at no charge. If you have none, blame it on wormers as most are quite toxic to dung beetles.

I understand Cydectin & Safegard are not toxic to the beetles. I have recently discontinued Ivomec for this reason. Too soon for any good results yet.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

papaw.. how long do you think it will take to get a stand of those dung beatles?

jt

Beefy":33lgbf9f said:
i would like to invent a dumbass repellant but i couldnt use it b/c that would be counterproductive. :eek:

Now that right there's funny -- I don't care who you are!!!!!!!

Dusty Britches":3tfjgnlo said:
You can safely use Ivomec in Nov/ Dec to control liver flukes and not harm Dung Beetles. They are dormant in the winter.

I've used Ivomec in Dec., Cydexin and Safeguard in the spring and summer. I have dung beetles in nearly every pile.

how long do you think it will take for the residual effect of ivomec to wear off so that dung beatles will survive on your place?

thanks
jt

I have found that chickens will scratch at cow patties to see that insects are inside for them to eat. It disperses them nicely. Especially if I am feeding some cracked corn. It comes out the other end and the chickens kill each other seeing which one can get to it quicker.

Of course, then you have chicken poop to deal with. And chickens in the garden, and in the flowers, and in the road...

A while after I started this thread the wild turkeys became much more active around my place and are doing a fine job of keeping it broken up.

If i were an inventor id make a 2x4 with a ruler stamped on one side of it. We are building a 30x40 show barn, and i usually do all the cutting with the chop saw.It would be much easier that way and wouldnt cost much more.Patent Pending!!!

Latest posts