I Hate Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2ndc6zbq said:
dun":2ndc6zbq said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2ndc6zbq said:
You better have calves seriously conditioned to hot wire to get away with that.
Ours are behind hotwire from birth

I knew that was most likely the case. Try it that way with calves who have had limited contact with a hot wire and you'll have problems.
Wouldn;t think of doing it with calves not thoroughly broken to hot wire.

Cucumber that is strange because I have always been told and have read that you do not combine hot wire and barb wire. Use one or the other. I will defer to some with more wisdom and experience on the matter. Farm fence solutions?

GAonmymind":3ard2ja8 said:
Cucumber that is strange because I have always been told and have read that you do not combine hot wire and barb wire. Use one or the other. I will defer to some with more wisdom and experience on the matter. Farm fence solutions?

What if Nick Saban said to use both? :lol:

My problem with combining hot and barbed is if you happen to get stuck on the barbed the hot wire will hit you hard enough and often enough that I don;t know if you would be able to loose.
We fenceline wean wit a single strand of polywire, never have had any issues. We use a lot that the cows and calves are familiar with and just divide it in half.

GAonmymind":3u4653jl said:

I used both on our smaller drylots which is where we wean and keep steers and heifers. Don't have much problem and the hot wire is 12.5ga high tensile and barbed is high tensile also. On pasture I don't like it. Especially if it's the lighter gauge wire. Deer hit the fence then the hot wire gets tangled in the barb and it's just a big cussing fest after that. Been there and learned from that mistake.

Same thing here but it was 19 that got out. 4 got back with mamma, 8 I caught that night and the remainder ended up outside the pasture altogether. Spent a week getting them back where they were supposed to be.

I spent to much money building a two acre, two part pasture out of that stay tuff woven wire with a strand of barb across the top. One area is less than 1/2 acre and that is where I fence line wean. They can go into the other part after day 2 where I try to have some decent grass. I had it built by some guys that really know how to build fence. They won't go through it no matter what. It is connected to the pen area. Once I have them, they are not going anywhere. Lifes to short to have to catch them twice and way to much stress on the calf and mom if they get out.

Ol' 243":2z33a1ou said:
GAonmymind":2z33a1ou said:

What if Nick Saban said to use both? :lol:
Well I guess I'd be running me some hot wire. Didn't even know I needed it.

Ga on my mind, hittin' your knees for Nick . . . . . . .it makes perfect sense. Fairweather Bama fans are everywhere.

243 if your only weaning a small group here is what works well for me.When I' ready to wean I'll put the cows and calves in the weaning pasture for a few days( usually I wean 20 to 25 at a time)and get them familiar with the fences and water and feed bunks,then I will take out about half of the momma's and leave the rest with the calves. Then after they are settled down I'l take about half of the rest of the momma's out until there is only one or two calves that are not weaned, by then the first weaned calves are settled and keep the rest calm.It takes more time but I have less headaches.It's also good if you have cow you are culling to just leave her in with the calves until your ready to sell her,a cow in with the calves really has a calming effect on them,in my experience any way.Sold several cows lately and left the claves in the pasture and they hardly bawled with no momma to bawl back to them.

Latest posts