Need an estimate on fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions":3mqz02dc said:
MtnCows93":3mqz02dc said:
Farmfencesolutions, all i was saying is i know how to build fence and i wouldnt mind getting payed $2 a foot to build 5 strand barb, im glad you do what you do and im sure your way better at it than me

My comment was in specific reference to the overhead costs associated with being in the fence business. To stay on the legal side of being in business, $2 a foot for 5 strand barb would net you a loss.

The fencing business is tough. I mentioned this previously. The men around here who stay with a contractor over 5 years are rare as hen's teeth and all have work related body ailments. The two contractors in our county don't look to me like they are getting rich.

Luke, how much do you charge for net fence with a top strand of barb wire. Post - treated wood posts, driven. Hilly terrain with braces say every 200 feet due to turns in direction. So short pulls. 8 foot corner posts. 7 foot line post. On 10 foot centers.

BTW: I would never allow any barb wire other than tornado.

Bright Raven":66mtkbmu said:
Farm Fence Solutions":66mtkbmu said:
MtnCows93":66mtkbmu said:
Farmfencesolutions, all i was saying is i know how to build fence and i wouldnt mind getting payed $2 a foot to build 5 strand barb, im glad you do what you do and im sure your way better at it than me

My comment was in specific reference to the overhead costs associated with being in the fence business. To stay on the legal side of being in business, $2 a foot for 5 strand barb would net you a loss.

The fencing business is tough. I mentioned this previously. The men around here who stay with a contractor over 5 years are rare as hen's teeth and all have work related body ailments. The two contractors in our county don't look to me like they are getting rich.

Luke, how much do you charge for net fence with a top strand of barb wire. Post - treated wood posts, driven. Hilly terrain with braces say every 200 feet due to turns in direction. So short pulls. 8 foot corner posts. 7 foot line post. On 10 foot centers.

Probably somewhere in the $5/ft range, but post diameter, overall quantity, and wire spec would influence that price, either up or down. It would, in my opinion, be a waste of timber to put the line posts that close....unless it's a high pressure area. Also, I would prefer to use a 9 or 10' strainer instead of an 8 footer. It is possible to build net wire in the $2.60/ft range with the right circumstances. That's pretty much the consensus on the Tornado Wire amongst the people that have tried it. It's going to be an uphill battle, but I look for us to take the market within 10 years. Educated consumers are really starting to realize the value in investing in a quality product. Thanks for giving it a try! (And wait until you try the net wire)

Farm Fence Solutions":3n4qegzy said:
Bright Raven":3n4qegzy said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3n4qegzy said:

Probably somewhere in the $5/ft range, but post diameter, overall quantity, and wire spec would influence that price, either up or down. It would, in my opinion, be a waste of timber to put the line posts that close....unless it's a high pressure area. Also, I would prefer to use a 9 or 10' strainer instead of an 8 footer. It is possible to build net wire in the $2.60/ft range with the right circumstances. That's pretty much the consensus on the Tornado Wire amongst the people that have tried it. It's going to be an uphill battle, but I look for us to take the market within 10 years. Educated consumers are really starting to realize the value in investing in a quality product. Thanks for giving it a try! (And wait until you try the net wire)

I understand the unavailable pipe issue in the east... well really I don't.. but have you guys considered usimg tpost in place of wooden line post
Metal has far more advantageous over wood and it's far cheaper.

callmefence":2sdnid4o said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2sdnid4o said:
Bright Raven":2sdnid4o said:

I understand the unavailable pipe issue in the east... well really I don't.. but have you guys considered usimg tpost in place of wooden line post

Wood has advantages, as well. Rust is a real problem in our climate. Once the posts rust, the zinc on the wire sacrifices it's self to save the post instead of the wire. Good galvanized T posts are higher than good wood posts around here. I really like the idea of switching to pipe, but the rust part is my concern. I am working with a reputable treatment plant to get some .60 CCA posts.....With certified test results.....done up to keep in stock. That would be a 35 year post if it were in standing water it's whole life, and still considerably cheaper than a poorly treated creosote post. We are in a drought right now, which can make it rough going with wood posts. I have pitched pipe to all of my pizzed off customers that are in a hurry, and none of them will bite. Not even for the same price. :bang:

Farm Fence Solutions":2qedb3td said:
callmefence":2qedb3td said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2qedb3td said:

Wood has advantages, as well. Rust is a real problem in our climate. Once the posts rust, the zinc on the wire sacrifices it's self to save the post instead of the wire. Good galvanized T posts are higher than good wood posts around here. I really like the idea of switching to pipe, but the rust part is my concern. I am working with a reputable treatment plant to get some .60 CCA posts.....With certified test results.....done up to keep in stock. That would be a 35 year post if it were in standing water it's whole life, and still considerably cheaper than a poorly treated creosote post. We are in a drought right now, which can make it rough going with wood posts. I have pitched pipe to all of my pizzed off customers that are in a hurry, and none of them will bite. Not even for the same price. :bang:

Understood dry climate here.
But for comparison...me and Chisholm alone drove 83 pipe post in one day. Was for a set of pens and chute. So laying it out took longer than anything. Property owner had welding ability just needed post drove. I charged 20.00 per post. I paid 8.00 apiece. He would've paid more. But you know I gotta live around here.

T post right now are four dollars..that's the heavy ones. 1.44
For nrcs jobs we are required to use 1.50 galvanized tpost. Last I bought was 7.00

callmefence":22inxnyr said:
Farm Fence Solutions":22inxnyr said:
callmefence":22inxnyr said:

Understood dry climate here.
But for comparison...me and Chisholm alone drove 83 pipe post in one day. Was for a set of pens and chute. So laying it out took longer than anything. Property owner had welding ability just needed post drove. I charged 20.00 per post. I paid 8.00 apiece. He would've paid more. But you know I gotta live around here.

T post right now are four dollars..that's the heavy ones. 1.44
For nrcs jobs we are required to use 1.50 galvanized tpost. Last I bought was 7.00

It comes down to what the people want, I suppose. I really like pipe, and that's all I want to use on my place anymore. Hopefully it will catch on soon. In good ground, I can drive 80 4-5"x8' wood posts/hour....if the layout is already done. Usually 30 an hour for 6"x8'. 83 for working pens is a good day...lots of engineering and math. The aforementioned posts are priced similar to your 1.50 galv T posts. T posts are a little higher here, but we need more length than you, I would guess? Frost heave gets us pretty bad around here. A 1.50 class III T post will last pretty good, but the light weight painted jobs rust off at the ground in a few years.

Never considered frost heave. Our frost line is like 1".
I worked once with a guy from Chicago told me it didn't matter if it was 4' chain link it better be 4 foot deep.

Crazy on the price difference. I walked past a pallet of 5to 6" by 8 foot treated post the other day at tsc. 18.00 apiece

Bright Raven":3pa327g8 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3pa327g8 said:
MtnCows93":3pa327g8 said:

And, lots of braces/direction changes doesn't always equate to short stretches. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhRu41MzlU&t=2s

Bright Raven":3es2tbpt said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3es2tbpt said:
MtnCows93":3es2tbpt said:

I'm not farm but we get 3.50 to 5.00 on net wire. Comes with at least 3 strands of Barb.
You get 2 braces for every 500'(a corner counts as 2. Any additional braces required we get 175.00 each.

callmefence":3jp4195l said:
Bright Raven":3jp4195l said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3jp4195l said:

I'm not farm but we get 3.50 to 5.00 on net wire. Comes with at least 3 strands of Barb.
You get 2 braces for every 500'(a corner counts as 2. Any additional braces required we get 175.00 each.

I'm outa here. Gonna head south and throw in with Fence.....Get me some of that easy money! :banana:

Farm Fence Solutions":rzwf81vy said:
callmefence":rzwf81vy said:
Bright Raven":rzwf81vy said:

I'm outa here. Gonna head south and throw in with Fence.....Get me some of that easy money! :banana:

I would be proud to have either one of you two build my fences. And I consider the prices fair. We all have to make a living! Not many trades I have seen work any harder than fencing crews.

Thanks Raven but it ain't so bad once you get it figured out and the equipment and all.
Mostly I just have to be self employed.
I got this thing I do where I tell folks to go **** there self whenever I please. Can't work down at the bank and do that.

Maybe I shoulda been a fisherman

I can relate to that. I once told the biggest oil man from Midland Texas to kiss my but and walked off his boat in Nantucket Island. He offered me a years pay to bring the boat back to Plam Beach and I told him to go.....well you can imagine. It was the last real job of my life.

callmefence":z1ffdhgj said:
Thanks Raven but it ain't so bad once you get it figured out and the equipment and all.
I got this thing I do where I tell folks to go be nice there self whenever I please. Can't work down at the bank and do that.

I thought you were a fisherman?

Farm Fence Solutions":38u0yobp said:
callmefence":38u0yobp said:
I got this thing I do where I tell folks to go be nice there self whenever I please. Can't work down at the bank and do that.

I thought you were a fisherman?

Just a hobby fisherman.. :D

With all the pain in rear ordeals we go through. Being self employed is the greatest thing in the world to me. I knew from childhood that's what I wanted. Just took me a while to make it work.

Regarding cost to the customer per linear foot, all other things being equal, do you charge more per foot on a small job than on a bigger job and how do you make it pencil out if you have to travel a long way to do the job?

I saw on another forum, where a guy wants 4 acres fenced for goats using "woven wire". He want it subdivided into 4 equal parcels, with 2 of those parcels sharing a common alley with which to move the goats around. He didn't mention how many gates/gateway openings were included, or what kind of posts..spacing or anything else but said the contractor stated it was 2800' of fence and he quoted him $25,000 to do the job. Said he charges $8/ft and the footage doesn't pencil out to $25k so I assume there are some other costs involved, but it seems mighty high. NY state.
I told him the contractor still has some fixed costs (wages, insurance, maybe permits), and move-in/startup was going to be the same no matter if it's a big job or small with crews and equipment still tied up but $25K seems to be more than a bit high... If it was here at my place, the fence would cost almost more than the land is worth.
He wants something like this:

Your thoughts..If it's not a 'trade secret', how do you bid little jobs like this?

greybeard":28l2th46 said:
Regarding cost to the customer per linear foot, all other things being equal, do you charge more per foot on a small job than on a bigger job and how do you make it pencil out if you have to travel a long way to do the job?

I saw on another forum, where a guy wants 4 acres fenced for goats using "woven wire". He want it subdivided into 4 equal parcels, with 2 of those parcels sharing a common alley with which to move the goats around. He didn't mention how many gates/gateway openings were included, or what kind of posts..spacing or anything else but said the contractor stated it was 2800' of fence and he quoted him $25,000 to do the job. Said he charges $8/ft and the footage doesn't pencil out to $25k so I assume there are some other costs involved, but it seems mighty high. NY state.
I told him the contractor still has some fixed costs (wages, insurance, maybe permits), and move-in/startup was going to be the same no matter if it's a big job or small with crews and equipment still tied up but $25K seems to be more than a bit high... If it was here at my place, the fence would cost almost more than the land is worth.
He wants something like this:

Your thoughts..If it's not a 'trade secret', how do you bid little jobs like this?

$8 a foot is very high for woven wire. "Here" it would be in the $4 - $5 per foot range for high tensile fixed knot wire with a mixture of wood and t posts.

Of course their are lots of variables involved. But it would have to be one PITA job for us to charge $8 a foot. Provided we arent using special materials like pinta posts, etc...

Sounds like that guy found a residential contractor who thinks he can build farm fence. We run up against those guys all the time and they are always 2-3x more than our quote.

p.s. I notice you said little job, 2800 feet is over half a mile and should be considered a decent job for any contractor. This would take us 3-4 days. So no quantity justification for $8 per foot unless the guy is having to commute a fair distance.

Per corner, per brace, per stretch, post spacing, post size, wood, steel, creosote, CCA, ACQ, terrain, degree of difficulty, spec of wire, gates and gate placement, distance from the shop, and customer temperament. These be the variables. Fixed overhead is the easy part. Gate holes is what I see getting expensive on that one, but at $25K, I'd only need to build one like it once a week. lol

my rich 'friend' has all his stuff hired out..

he's had a guy come out and fence (3) 20 acre sections.. these are flat crop fields with nothing to clear. Easy driving as its all top soil.. no rocks at all.

They put up 2 gates, 8 lines of HT fence. 20,000 each section.

!!!!!! wow.

Latest posts