Need an estimate on fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":2weayjuu said:
my rich 'friend' has all his stuff hired out..

he's had a guy come out and fence (3) 20 acre sections.. these are flat crop fields with nothing to clear. Easy driving as its all top soil.. no rocks at all.

They put up 2 gates, 8 lines of HT fence. 20,000 each section.

!!!!!! wow.

Please give your friend my number. :D

Farm Fence Solutions":1htmxrtc said:
ddd75":1htmxrtc said:

he's had a guy come out and fence (3) 20 acre sections.. these are flat crop fields with nothing to clear. Easy driving as its all top soil.. no rocks at all.

!!!!!! wow.

doesn't matter if you'd do it for 10k.. they have to have THAT guy out .. you know.. so everyone knows they are paying a lot.

people are crazy

ddd75":vfrsdbfn said:
Farm Fence Solutions":vfrsdbfn said:
ddd75":vfrsdbfn said:

!!!!!! wow.

doesn't matter if you'd do it for 10k.. they have to have THAT guy out .. you know.. so everyone knows they are paying a lot.

people are crazy

I'll charge double and split it with you. We can tell everyone how much the neighbor is blowing on fence.....It'll be great!

I have a price per foot.
Net wire will be 3.10 to 5.00 depending on product.
Each 500' of fence comes with 2 pipe braces. Excessive bracing with a break comes out to 175.00 each. No break 150.00 each. Gates are priced at cost plus 25.00 to hang. Takes me about 10
Minutes to weld up a lometa gate.

Simple enough.?

Farm Fence Solutions":2ybx0hxi said:
ddd75":2ybx0hxi said:

!!!!!! wow.

Quick without a calculator.. weeks work. ( Moving nice and slow)material,labor , secretary, insurance and fuel. Pay myself 1500.00 salary and I'd put a easy 10,000 bonus in my pocket for the week... your friend got screwed.

Good points brought up for sure..things that the customer doesn't always take into consideration--myself included. It looks fairly simple at first, until you start counting the number of corners in the project and obviously there will be breaks for some gates to move the goats from one area to another. Gate openings have to be braced off..one post won't do it on a good fence.. Lots of bigger posts and braces involved and more individual pulls. This would be more representative of the actual project, and would need at least one additional gate opening to allow entrance into the whole 4ac parcel:

Hindsight... I've spoken about the straightline 5 strand ht barb 2200' fence with 3 gates I built some years ago, by myself. If I had known then what I know today, even at an upper end of what I see quoted here, I would have jumped on it like a chicken on a june bug. I coulda spent that time on pastures or the yard area instead and never had to drive a single staple, tie a single tee post tie or drive a single tee post into that rock hard white clay and probably ended up with a better fence. I figured approx what I have just in materials in that fence, and it's kinda disheartening to think about when I add the sweat, blood and time in too. :(

greybeard":w8e20ukl said:
Good points brought up for sure..things that the customer doesn't always take into consideration--myself included. It looks fairly simple at first, until you start counting the number of corners in the project and obviously there will be breaks for some gates to move the goats from one area to another. Gate openings have to be braced off..one post won't do it on a good fence.. Lots of bigger posts and braces involved and more individual pulls. This would be more representative of the actual project, and would need at least one additional gate opening to allow entrance into the whole 4ac parcel:

Hindsight... I've spoken about the straightline 5 strand ht barb 2200' fence with 3 gates I built some years ago, by myself. If I had known then what I know today, even at an upper end of what I see quoted here, I would have jumped on it like a chicken on a june bug. I coulda spent that time on pastures or the yard area instead and never had to drive a single staple, tie a single tee post tie or drive a single tee post into that rock hard white clay and probably ended up with a better fence. I figured approx what I have just in materials in that fence, and it's kinda disheartening to think about when I add the sweat, blood and time in too. :(

2800 x4.00 -11,200
11 braces n/c
11 braces x175--1925.00
5 12 foot gates x 100.00--500.00

Total due on completion 13625.00

This would be my bid for a local job.
Using a middle of the road. Say 114812
Tornado wire.... please take into account my wife has not checked my math. :cboy:
Your welcome to do so

We pay $3250 per quarter mile. It's high but it's a better fence than I can build and we don't have the time to get it all done. We've been putting in a 6 wire fence that will last until my grandkids have to replace it. 3 steel and a hedge with triple corners.

I'd be just a tick higher.....$.25/ft.... than Fence, but I'd be pretty pushy about 1348-12 Tornado fixed knot for goats in small pens.

He got a 2nd quote today.
$18/linear foot....

Someone in NY is making a bundle of $$ or the labor costs there are astronomical.

greybeard":1s8k3ees said:
Upper NY State I believe..he said it was flat open farm country..

A job like that in flat open farm country would be heaven for us. It almost seems way too easy. Almost everyone of our jobs has hills, rocks, brush and trees to contend with. You know the jobs everyone else doesn't want to do. I wouldn't know what to do in an open field.

This would be pretty typical for us....Rolling hills, some rock, brush to clear, creek crossing, drought, yellow jackets to burn out, etc. This job was for a friend, and started off as just a few thousand feet @ $3.25/ft. That's a little cheap, and the project tripled because of it. He's always helped me out, so I'm glad to do it. I'd like to be around $3.60 normally on one that far from the house. (about 2 hours) 842-12 Tornado fixed knot, all pipe posts, welded braces, plain wire under, barb on top.

callmefence":370p42rv said:
Farm Fence Solutions":370p42rv said:
ddd75":370p42rv said:

!!!!!! wow.

Quick without a calculator.. weeks work. ( Moving nice and slow)material,labor , secretary, insurance and fuel. Pay myself 1500.00 salary and I'd put a easy 10,000 bonus in my pocket for the week... your friend got screwed.
i was thinking it was more like 3-4k in material per section... i didn't add it up just a quick thought.. . so maybe 12k in material tops.. 60k to do it.

45k bonus!

In my part of the world a bundle of 3"-4" X 6' posts is approx. $450, barbed wire about $70 / roll, staples about $65 a box. Add in some 7 footers for bracing and a quarter mile costs roughly $1700 Canadian, or $1.28 per foot, roughly. On a prepared line a quarter mile of fence is an easy days work for the wife and I. Maybe not fancy, but I figure the cow that complains can head to town lol.

Latest posts