Ideas Wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":15jl7env said:
talldog":15jl7env said:
backhoeboogie":15jl7env said:
Put a couple of table spoons of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the bottom of the box.

I buy DE in 50 lb bags. Spread it in the feed room and there are no ants. No ants of any kind. It is harmless to animals. It is ground up fresh water sea coral. It is like razors to insects. It cuts the endoskelton and they dehydrate. Fleas, scorpions, ants etc.
Great for ants,fleas and other crawlies--Great Stuff ! :tiphat:

Where do you find it? I've asked around and no one seems to know anything about it.

Jogee check with your feed store and/or some of nurseries as well as the "organic" folks. It is approved as an insecticide. Should run you around $20-22 a 50 lb. bag.....There is "feed grade" and "Filter Grade" which is used in swimming pool filters....be sure and get the "feed grade". DE could be harmful to the lungs if you inhaled enough of it. As Boogie said, it looks almost like talcum powder but under a microscope looked like rough jagged glass so it could irritate the lung but the now a big chance you'll get much in your lungs.

My feed store carries it!
But you can also get it at pool supply stores I am told.I get the food grade safe for animals and humans bye bye to crawlers fire ants takes a few application but eventually get to em!!!
A lot cheaper than the insecticides that don't really help. i also toss it around in my corrals kills fly larva in cow poop helps with fly control.

There are many folks mixing it in with feed. It doesn't last as long but they claim it kills parasites when the parasites ingest it.

Do a search on the internet Jogee. There's a ton of information out there. I have been using it for years with good results.

Jogee I get it from the feed store too. Get the 50 lb bag. What you find is that they will sell a 10 lb bag for $13, a 25 lb bab for $19, or a 50 lb bag for $22. And yes do get the food grade.

Latest posts