Ideas on Strengthening Gates

Help Support CattleToday:

rla442

Reaction score
Seeing the posting on the gate hinges, I figured I'd start another topic on strengthening gates.

It happens every few years when loading up cattle that I have one or two that destroy a gate in the loading alley or the pen leading into the alley as they try to get back out into the pasture. One of them will just mangle a gate until something breaks or the most recent, the hinge snapped. My gates are the weak point. 10' gates, most are the Tractor Supply heavy duty brand. To get any other supplier for the gates, I'll have to head a couple counties away. Most of the time I'm working the cattle myself without issues and use the gates to sort them into different pens or the alleyway to load them out. I'm just looking for ideas at this point on strengthening the gates in the areas where the cattle are handled. Narrower gates, make gates solid so they cant see through them, ideas on how to reinforce the tubing and hinges, a brand name gate that's truly heavy duty?

https://www.agrisupply.com/stock-guard-gate/p/14677/
Find where you can buy these gates and your problems will be few if any. I use 2 behind my chute and haven't tore them up yet. I made double latches to spread the weight out on the gate.

Built from heavy 16 gauge steel tubing, all
Horizontal tubes are welded completely
Around the joints to the gate frame
Supported on longer gates by vertical "z"
Weight: 151 lbs.
Braces, comes complete with hinges, bolt hooks, and latch chain

If there is a handrail fab shop close by, have them bend what you want. Mine are made to fit 1 1/4" schedule 10 pipe.

I have them bend one piece that makes the top and the two sides. I then have them cope two piece of pipe for cross bars. One goes at the bottom and one around the middle. I then weld a 50" wire cattle panel to it. The gate is about 51 1/4" top to bottom.

The welded wire gives the gates strength by acting like the cords in a truss and calves can't stock their heads through the bars.

I built mine out of 2x6 frames and cattle panels braced them with 2x4s. All held together with bolts The hinges I got some 1&1/2 steel tubing and bolted it to the frame.

bird dog said:
If there is a handrail fab shop close by, have them bend what you want. Mine are made to fit 1 1/4" schedule 10 pipe.

I have them bend one piece that makes the top and the two sides. I then have them cope two piece of pipe for cross bars. One goes at the bottom and one around the middle. I then weld a 50" wire cattle panel to it. The gate is about 51 1/4" top to bottom.

The welded wire gives the gates strength by acting like the cords in a truss and calves can't stock their heads through the bars.

Spot on right here.
We build gates for oens out of anything from 15/8 to 23/8 ss40. We these very heavy gates you generally want to use a header as well as very well set post.
Also very true that a cattle panel adds strength against sagging when welded to gate frame. My only dislike of panels in pens, is if you use squares small enough a hoof can't go through, then I can't get my foot in should I need to clammer out in a hurry.

Add me to the list of panel reinforcement support.

2 inch tube steel outside frames. 1 1/2 inch works too. I usually use what ever I have available for verticals in the intermediate positions. Angle, or scrap pipe, or anything will do. Weld 4 inch grid utility panel onto the gate when I am done. I pre stress the gate about 2 1/2 inches before I weld the panel on to it. Seems that is about how much I bow them when I start putting the heat onto the face.

A simple thing you can try is just cutting a cattle panel to length and having it stick up another foot or so above the existing gate. For me, the cows will try going over the top of the gate to get away, with the panel adding extra height they might not try jumping over. I did this as a temporary fix going into our tub and haven't had a cow challenge that gate in probably 15 years. But in another spot we actually welded on another foot to a gate and made it really stout, 2 years later there is a bend where one tried going over or through, so it doesn't always work.

We ended up making a couple gates that are really heavy duty and tall, tough to buy anything that will hold up in a crowding area.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Do any of you beef up the hinges. The last steer that went crazy ended up going through two of the gates. Put his head down low on the gate and ended up twisting the top hinge strap around on the one gate and the other he sheared off the top pin the gate hinge slides onto. I had a bull do that once too. They always seem to go low on the gates versus over them.

This steer is nuts. Tried to separate him from the rest of the herd to send to the butcher but he's flat out nuts. Runs around high headed and nervous. I might have no choice but to waiting until winter and butcher him myself.

After hanging my gates,I always add a chain on the lower and highest rail to the hinged post, if they bust the hinge hopefully the chain will hold the gate in place.

I prefer the Powder River Classic gates. Several times I have had 1,000 pound heifers suspended on top of the gate. If she made it over or fell back into the alley or pen the gate remains the same. In some pressure points I have hung a product called dryer felt from pulp mills on the gate. It looks like canvas but has fine metal woven into it. Lasts forever. Makes the gate look solid. I always hang it on the opposite side where I think I might need to climb.

Hippie Rancher said:
use 2 x 6 lumber AT A MINIMUM, 2 x 8 or even 10 inch boards are better for crowding situations. don't spare the hardware either. oh wait, nobody builds wood gates any more do they? :hide:

built this gate about 15 years ago, painted several times. thinking about trying to paint american flag on it.

Hippie Rancher said:
ccr said:
built this gate about 15 years ago, painted several times. thinking about trying to paint american flag on it.

:shock: :heart: that is a beauty, did you have to hang it with heavy equipment?
the first time i hung it, a neighbor brought his little tractor over and we hung it.

the second time i hung it i had it dangling from the front end loader, trying to do it by myself and a guy stopped by and asked if i needed some help. the first two times it was the gate at the entrance along the public road.

the picture shows the third time it was hung, down closer to the house and a fence contractor and his workers hung it with a small tractor. think it weighs around 600# - don't know, but it's heavy.

ccr said:
the first time i hung it, a neighbor brought his little tractor over and we hung it.

the second time i hung it i had it dangling from the front end loader, trying to do it by myself and a guy stopped by and asked if i needed some help. the first two times it was the gate at the entrance along the public road.

the picture shows the third time it was hung, down closer to the house and a fence contractor and his workers hung it with a small tractor. think it weighs around 600# - don't know, but it's heavy.

it's really nice, makes me want to go out and build one. just yesterday I was baling wiring up a rotten bottom board on one of the last couple of wood gates we still have hanging. most have been replaced with metal of some type or other. I remember building some with my Grandfather in the garage when I was a kid, and I built a couple small ones for walk through. Repaired the big ones until they couldn't really be repaired anymore and various people have been building steel ones the last 10 years or so. bought a few pre-made tube gates but they are only good for very low pressure situations. I can't even imagine the cost of a good wood gate and hardware now. :lol2:

Hippie Rancher said:
DCA farm said:
I built mine out of 2x6 frames and cattle panels braced them with 2x4s. All held together with bolts The hinges I got some 1&1/2 steel tubing and bolted it to the frame.

sounds interesting, can you please post a picture? :tiphat:
It will be awhile I'm in west Texas working won't be home till 22nd

Latest posts