3 car garage ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

i'd just throw up a pole building.. should be cheaper and faster to have built.

the garage doors will be the most expensive thing on that barn.

Post frame comes out cheaper unless you plan on finishing out the interior. Stick frame on a slab still needs a good concrete footer. We haven't had any trouble with posts rotting, but I know some that have. There are plenty of options to prevent that, such as a Postsaver or a Permacolumn.

If building myself I'd go with a stick built for something like that, and utilize a raised footing / couple courses of block for outside of walls. Wouldn't need to hire help erecting, maximum options for siding to go with your house, a bit more options for insulation, etc. The raised footing / block will give you generations of no rot guarantee, could assist with keeping termites at bay, and gives you some flexibility for grading if ever needed. I've dealt with a couple older buildings on slab, and need to do something with my current 3 bay garage as well because they were built on slab, not a fan... my cattle shed and small barn were built back in the 30's/40's I'm replacing poles now, while my barn has a short raised footing - looks to be good for another 80 years.

Got some prices today on a post frame 30x40 12ft tall. I got several quotes anywhere from 20-30000$. That's turn key. Fully insulated with 3 garage doors and a walk in door. Seems pretty high to me. None of them included any electrical work I'll do all that myself.

those 3 garage doors are upping the price. the 30 is high. the 20 isn't bad.

i'm going to start on a 26 x 72 here soon for a machinery shed.. front side open.

The garage I designed fo my house is 25 x 28 attached. Two 10 x 8 doors and a 3 ft entry door. Some designers may think that's a lot of wasted space, but we have plenty of room in fron, behind and between to enter and exit the vehicles without banging car doors. Also gives a clear 4 ft walkway into the house...or a place to bring the outdoor pot plants when a freeze is eminent. The 25 ft deep gives me room for a freezer and storage cabinets got stuff I didn't intend to store in the garage but do. Course if you have a full length crew cab that's going to get tight. I don't think I'd want the shop and garage to be open to each other either. Not just because of flying wrenches, but because of all the byproducts of grinding, sawing, welding, oiling, greasing, sanding..... enter from the ends and put a wall between with a walk door between if you want. So doing that with a stick or pole barn, roughly 28 x 48 as SoB suggested. If you go metal building, a common size would be 30 x 50.

pricefarm.. I just saw a local ad here.

3 car garage 30 x 40 x 12. 3 garage doors, 36" walk door, 14,900 installed.

i'll be building an equipment shed this spring. I'm thinking 26 x 72. Should be around 6,800.00 in material, front side open.

pricefarm":ha0oqq1j said:
Iam thinking of building a 3 car garage at my house. I'll use 1 bay for my wife's car one for my truck and the other bay to work on farm equipment. What size do y'all think would work? Iam thinking a 40' long and 30' deep. Also what would be best, a post frame or a stick built?
Wouldn't even consider it. The work area will turn into a nasty junk area and the value of your house will go down. Even is you clean it up the floor is going to always be nasty.

ddd75":827svtxn said:
pricefarm.. I just saw a local ad here.

3 car garage 30 x 40 x 12. 3 garage doors, 36" walk door, 14,900 installed.

That's a good price. Wonder if they travel to VA

TexasBred":318svgdl said:
pricefarm":318svgdl said:
Iam thinking of building a 3 car garage at my house. I'll use 1 bay for my wife's car one for my truck and the other bay to work on farm equipment. What size do y'all think would work? Iam thinking a 40' long and 30' deep. Also what would be best, a post frame or a stick built?
Wouldn't even consider it. The work area will turn into a nasty junk area and the value of your house will go down. Even is you clean it up the floor is going to always be nasty.

You don't know me Iam a neat freak. Planning on putting epoxy on the concrete so I can keep oil from soaking in and making a mess.

pricefarm":1dirblth said:
TexasBred":1dirblth said:
pricefarm":1dirblth said:

You don't know me Iam a neat freak. Planning on putting epoxy on the concrete so I can keep oil from soaking in and making a mess.
You probably are and you can probably make it work. Sure hope so. Mine would look like crap in a few months.I'd have ever old piece of equipment on the place parked in the yard

What are your thoughts on 2 garage doors on the end, vs. one bigger one in the center of the end?
I would like to get 12' equipment in if I needed to, and could diagonal park ATVs, Jeeps, ect. on one side on a single door.

TexasBred":2gp6hopo said:
pricefarm":2gp6hopo said:
TexasBred":2gp6hopo said:

You probably are and you can probably make it work. Sure hope so. Mine would look like crap in a few months.I'd have ever old piece of equipment on the place parked in the yard

What's wrong with that? Less grass that can grow.

Well I changed my mind about the garge and just build a work shop. It's 20x40 with 12 ft ceiling and a 14 foot wide garge door. I would have like to went wider and alittle longer but I build it behind my house and with the property line and septic tank that's as big as I could get it. It's big enough to get any of my equipment in to work on. It's fully Insulated and Iam going to but in some kind of natural gas heat in it.

i had a similar size one at a place i had before. mine was insulated as well.. only took the jet heater about 10 minutes to have it really nice.