Ideas for building a cattle facility

Help Support CattleToday:

JCcattle

Reaction score
We are starting a new place from scratch in western Canada. We have about 30 head of cattle and we want to keep growing our herd. For now we keep them at a family farm a mile from here but we want to get on our own feet as soon as we can. Where we are we have nothing except a fairly long, well treed slough running east-west and plan to winter our cows on the south side of it. Would like to know what tips you have, things you wish you'd done, experiences, mistakes, what's most important to start with etc. It's not like we have a lot of cash on hand so we won't be building anything out of this world but we want it functional and something we can grow with. We have a tarp shelter we'd be able to use i think it's 30x80? We calve in winter (Feb-Apr) thanks for your ideas!

I'm no expert by any means but if it were me I'd put that fabric building on pony walls and in an area accessible to the cattle and equipment. Could be configured for cattle with portable panels however it works best at the time and still be used for other things when the cows aren't in it.
Also safe reliable working facilities would top my list of first projects.

Thanks Kjfred! We do like the thot of using the shelter.. especially for the calving cows. What about permanent corrals vs panels and windbreak panels?

It works quite well for us to set up a temporary calving pen in the shed in the spring. Then come summer it gets stuffed full of hay.
I sure like the idea of a permanent corral/pens better than the pin-together panels we use now but i dont think I know just how I want it set up yet.
If you can figure out where the ideal place for a permanent alley/chute is you can try different configurations with the portable panels leading into that to see what works best.
I'm interested to hear what other folks ideas are

Latest posts