3 car garage ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Iam thinking of building a 3 car garage at my house. I'll use 1 bay for my wife's car one for my truck and the other bay to work on farm equipment. What size do y'all think would work? Iam thinking a 40' long and 30' deep. Also what would be best, a post frame or a stick built?

pricefarm":27y8lw5g said:
Iam thinking of building a 3 car garage at my house. I'll use 1 bay for my wife's car one for my truck and the other bay to work on farm equipment. What size do y'all think would work? Iam thinking a 40' long and 30' deep. Also what would be best, a post frame or a stick built?

friend built one last year stick built 36L 28' Deep with a side shed 8x12' attached

40 foot won't be long enough. 45 at a minimum. If you figure 2 10 foot doors and one 12 or so for larger equipment it doesn;t leave much room in between vehicles

dun":3j7ey7n0 said:
40 foot won't be long enough. 45 at a minimum.
If you figure 2 10 foot doors and one 12 or so for larger equipment it doesn;t leave much room in between vehicles
Not big enough IF you're going to use it for a JD jh9010 combine with 400 bushel extension... 16' 5" tall
36' 3" long 17' 8" wide with wide row spaced duals but without corn or bean head
but then again maybe everyone doesn't have one :)

Son of Butch":3jmgkczb said:
dun":3jmgkczb said:
40 foot won't be long enough. 45 at a minimum.
If you figure 2 10 foot doors and one 12 or so for larger equipment it doesn;t leave much room in between vehicles
Not big enough IF you're going to use it for a JD jh9010 combine with 400 bushel extension... 16' 5" tall
36' 3" long 17' 8" wide with wide row spaced duals and without corn or bean head
but then again maybe everyone doesn't have one :)
Yeah, I was thinking of my use. My widest pice of equipment is 11 foot that's why I specified 12 foot door. Since I sold my baler I don;t need a door taller then 12 foot either.

We use 65mm tophat sections rolled from sheet metal for the roof battens and they will span 4 metres (13.12 ft in your speak) so that sets the width of each bay as they span from truss to truss, very light and very strong. This gives fairly generous size bays for vehicles and machinery so 3 bays would be close to 40'.

No I don't have SOB's JD combine, just modest size equiptment but you are just wanting to house road vehicles basically, if you need more space to work on things just add another bay.

Ken

My "shop" is 36x36, and even with 4 more feet, getting three doors on a wall would be pushing it. In the new building, we planned to have 40x60 of it walled off for a bigger shop. It has 12' and 16' wide overhead doors, and one man door......no wall left to speak of. I wanted to be able to come home from a job in the dark, while it's snowing or raining, and back the whole rig in without unloading equipment. It happened last week, and I was glad to have the space. Build it as big as you can without exceeding your budget.

Farm Fence Solutions":2gssalx1 said:
Build it as big as you can without exceeding your budget.
Best advice yet. I would add, build it bigger then you think you will ever need because eventually you will need it.

I think you'll find 40x60 to be the most cost effective size that meets your needs.

Dad built a 30x40 ft shed with two big doors on each end with small walk in door on the long side.
Could you put two garage doors on the long side towards one end with a big door on the 30 ft side for the tractor or farm equipment?
This would allow the garage doors to be smaller in height assuming the sides are not as tall as the middle.

Good luck, I wish his was bigger but then it would just hold more junk.

30 would be a minimum for sure. If you figure at least 20 for your truck. A couple feet to walk around each end puts it at 24. Then storage in front you're at 28. You can use up 30 ft pretty quick.

I have a 30X40 and sure wish I would have went 40X60. With a tractor, gator, couple of ATV's, lawn mower, and then stuff mine is full and no room for a farm truck. I have 12' walls as well and wouldn't go shorter. I put two garage doors on the 40' side and a man door. Had I made it deeper I could have put a garage door on the side and been able to pull the tractor or gator in front of the normal stuff. Oh well. I ended up putting a 10X40 lean to off the back and we have our 4H animals there and my wife's sheep.

pricefarm":3el1iukb said:
I am thinking of building a 3 car garage at my house. I'll use 1 bay for my wife's car one for my truck and the other bay to work on farm equipment. What size do y'all think would work? I am thinking a 40' long and 30' deep.
Also what would be best, a post frame or a stick built?
Assuming you're not talking attached to your home... I'm thinking 48' x 32' might be your best buy for your needs.
I wouldn't go less than 28 x 48 but that's just me. You'll just have to price out a couple options and go from there.

p.s.
Don't skimp on the quality of doors installed.
Can't comment farther as not familiar with your location, weather ect.

You said 3 car garage. Guess you have to decide if you want a garage, a workshop, or a machine shed. And as you can see, whatever it is designed for, it will eventually not be big enough and have lean to's on each side!

60x96......Thought it'd be big enough to last a lifetime, but there's still three trucks and a gob of equipment and trailers that sit outside. At least the shop can still be used as a shop this time of year. Lol

guys.. this is pricefarm.. he's cheap as cheap can be.. he ain't building no 50 x 100 haha :)

ddd75":13got76m said:
guys.. this is pricefarm.. he's cheap as cheap can be.. he ain't building no 50 x 100 haha :)

Yes you are right about that I am cheap. This building will not be a machinery shed I have one those already that is 60x70 and another shed that is 30x60 at the farm and like everyone has said it still not enough room but we make do. My house is across the road from the farm and only sets on about 1.5 acres. Iam just wanting somewhere to park a car and truck which I think 9ft doors would work then maybe a 12 ft door so I can work on stuff. I don't own a combine so don't need anything huge. Mainly just tractors and hay equipment. Iam thinking of making the doors 10' tall and the ceiling would be around 12' ..?

What's everyone opinion on a stick built vs pole barn style??

pricefarm":17rttwuh said:
What's everyone opinion on a stick built vs pole barn style??
Estimates I've seen for a shop building with a couple of additions showed that if you pour the concrete floors first the stick built is cheaper. If the concrete will be poured later the pole barn is cheaper.

Latest posts