Ideas Wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
24,228
Reaction score
11
Location
South Georgia
I'm having trouble with sugar ants at one particular well. Don't have trouble anywhere else but at this location the dang sugar ants are following the wires to recepticals and to the switch on the well and they keep fouling the points to the well. Cows rely solely on this well for their water. Big problem. I'm spraying the points and wires with wasp killer which seems to work for a few days. Someone told me to pour burnt motor oil on the wires and this would help. Any other ideas short of spraying DDT?
 
Talstar is a good ant killer. You can get it in liquid or granulated form. As to pouring motor oil on the wires, use vasoline or axle grease instead. Same principal, however grease can be put on thicker.

Why can't we get some of them aardvarks imported into GA?
 
grannysoo":3ti4ncgo said:
Why can't we get some of them aardvarks imported into GA?

If they are going to give us those pythons I can't see any reason why we can't have ardvarks too. I think the ardvarks would fit right in around here since it seems many of the neighbors have big noses too. ;-)
 
I've gone to sealing all openings (or possible openings) with RTV. For regular wsitches I've had to go to the completley sealed water proof kind even for inside buildings.
 
Put a couple of table spoons of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the bottom of the box.

I buy DE in 50 lb bags. Spread it in the feed room and there are no ants. No ants of any kind. It is harmless to animals. It is ground up fresh water sea coral. It is like razors to insects. It cuts the endoskelton and they dehydrate. Fleas, scorpions, ants etc.
 
backhoeboogie":2yqh470m said:
Put a couple of table spoons of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the bottom of the box.

I buy DE in 50 lb bags. Spread it in the feed room and there are no ants. No ants of any kind. It is harmless to animals. It is ground up fresh water sea coral. It is like razors to insects. It cuts the endoskelton and they dehydrate. Fleas, scorpions, ants etc.
Yep, cheap long lasting and works.
 
Thanks for the ideas. Everything I have is setup on a wagon wheel fashion with the water being in the corral. This works great for working the animals but it is also an achilles heal if I have water problems and these ants are causing some major problems. It doesn't happen often but it doesn't ever need to happen if you know what I mean. I think I'll try the DE cause I can't remember to keep a regular treatment of insecticide. Will probably try the greese too cause I don't want this ever to happen again.

BTW - does anyone know the reason why sugar ants are attracted to wires or electrical outlets?
 
Jogeephus":17hj92wc said:
BTW - does anyone know the reason why sugar ants are attracted to wires or electrical outlets?

Supposedly ti's for the warmth. I can see that in the winter but not when it's 100 degrees. BTW, the also supposedly eat the wire insulation.
 
There's a spray for just this kind of problem. Comes in an aerosol can and sprays sort of like those powder deodorant thangs. An electrician gave me a can years ago, and it was effective for a long time. You just spray it in and around the box and it repels the ants. Probably have to get it from an electric supply store.

On second thought, since it was so effective, the tree-huggers have most likely gotten it banned by now.
 
Jogeephus":zpbojl4j said:
I'm having trouble with sugar ants at one particular well. Don't have trouble anywhere else but at this location the dang sugar ants are following the wires to recepticals and to the switch on the well and they keep fouling the points to the well. Cows rely solely on this well for their water. Big problem. I'm spraying the points and wires with wasp killer which seems to work for a few days. Someone told me to pour burnt motor oil on the wires and this would help. Any other ideas short of spraying DDT?

Throw a couple handsful of diatomaceous earth around the area where the points are located but not on them...it the ants walk in it they're dead. As well as any other insects that get in it.
 
This is interesting
I use Creosote in old sump oil if I can get the Creosote -Can you guys get it in the States?
Pour it down holes or tracks in cracks etc. They don't come back.

Diatamacious earth is a very fine powder. I use up to 3 % in concrete to waterproof it. Same as Fly ash.
I just wonder if it harms your lungs if you breath it in which you will do if you put it on the floor and walk in it.

The Great Wall of China used rice flour in cement for the same purpose , Cement is still there and holding up well but the bricks are eroding badly.

My other method for ants is 50% sugar and 50% Borax Powder sprinkled around .They take it back to the nest and it kills the queen, they feed it to her
 
backhoeboogie":3bxnerlu said:
Put a couple of table spoons of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the bottom of the box.

I buy DE in 50 lb bags. Spread it in the feed room and there are no ants. No ants of any kind. It is harmless to animals. It is ground up fresh water sea coral. It is like razors to insects. It cuts the endoskelton and they dehydrate. Fleas, scorpions, ants etc.
Great for ants,fleas and other crawlies--Great Stuff ! :tiphat:
 
talldog":10b4fd47 said:
backhoeboogie":10b4fd47 said:
Put a couple of table spoons of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the bottom of the box.

I buy DE in 50 lb bags. Spread it in the feed room and there are no ants. No ants of any kind. It is harmless to animals. It is ground up fresh water sea coral. It is like razors to insects. It cuts the endoskelton and they dehydrate. Fleas, scorpions, ants etc.
Great for ants,fleas and other crawlies--Great Stuff ! :tiphat:

Where do you find it? I've asked around and no one seems to know anything about it.
 
I don't know how to do the linky. Google Nitron Industries if you can't find it local.
 
you could rent one of my aardvarks to tether nearby
aardvark.jpg
 
tytower said:
This is interesting
I use Creosote in old sump oil if I can get the Creosote -Can you guys get it in the States?
Pour it down holes or tracks in cracks etc. They don't come back.

Creosote in still readily available in Foxton New Zealand.
 
Malter":3qeljzj5 said:
tytower":3qeljzj5 said:
This is interesting
I use Creosote in old sump oil if I can get the Creosote -Can you guys get it in the States?
Pour it down holes or tracks in cracks etc. They don't come back.

Creosote in still readily available in Foxton New Zealand.

I think they frown on it. Don't know the rules but getting creosote is no big problem for me.
 

Latest posts

Top