Ideas for this summer

Help Support CattleToday:

dng007

Reaction score
I went through alot of the old post and could not find any topics relating to this one...(if so, im sorry and will look more closely next time if i did miss it)... i am somewhat new to the cattle industry, but it is in my blood. My grand father used to have a cow/calve setup for a long time until he got sick. I told him that i wanted to start getting involved in cattle, and He gave me the idea of starting his farm up again and said he would help in any way i need. My question to everyone who reads this is what would be a manageable and easy learning set up. Hm, that doesn't sound correct, what would be the best way to start i guess is what i am asking...what breed...cow or calves...i have no clue really so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great...im sure i sound confusing so feel free to ask me as many questions as need to help my find my way

thanks a bunch
mike

What does your grandfather think? I'd surely pick his brain.

How big is the farm he has? What kind of facilities does he have? What kind of cattle did he run?

Your grandfather sounds excited...and I think that is wonderful. Why not ask him?

Alice

I agree with Alice, see what your grandfather thinks. Then think about what you want and like. Do you like Angus? Charolais? Bramah......? Then have a look around your area, go to a few sales, and see what the more common breeds are in your area, and what sells the best. Then, combine the two. Some of the quieter breeds, that are common in my area, are Hereford, Shorthorn, and charolais. Keep in mind though that you can find good and bad in each breed.

Another thing to think about is whether you want to be in the cow/calf or yearling (stocker/feeder) area. Some people are soley cow/calf, and others like to stay away from the extra work of calving time so they buy yearlings and graze them for the summer and then either continue on finishing them or else sell them.

Should be some good cattle country there. When I started I bought bred cows in the Fall, some had calves. I bought two small whole herds from old guys retiring. The cows were all tame easy keepers. Now all of my cowherd are decendants from those nineteen origional cows. :D

if ya grand dad knew his stuff and be interested in helpin ya, why ya be wastin time askin this board what ya need be doin? let the man teach ya and be danged ta what anybody else thinks.what I wouldnt give ta have a first hand mentor like that!

Latest posts