Arriving at Summer camp

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Cows and calves getting off the bus at summer camp. 5 trailer loads of cows and 2 trailers of calves. I still have 3 pairs at the house that there wasn't room for them on the trailers. There is 7 dry cows at home until they calf. And someones poor sorting and/or loading 2 dry cows went to summer camp. Not a good place for a slick calf to come home from. B said when they move to another pasture he will take a tagger and bander along for those calves.

P4253093.JPG

A hay shed up in the hills?
At some point there was irrigation here. Rolling hills that aren't too steep to hay on a portion of this property. A lot of it too steep to hay. Up the hill from here you can see the remains of a pipeline that brought water to this place. It was not maintained. I don't know the story.

Well that drastically reduces the amount of work you have at home. They look good.
I don't know about work reduction. I have 67 acres of irrigated hay meadow to pull a pasture harrow over. Over a mile of irrigation ditch to burn. By the time I get done with that irrigation starts to be a daily chore. Actually winter feeding is easiest chore time of the year.

I don't know about work reduction. I have 67 acres of irrigated hay meadow to pull a pasture harrow over. Over a mile of irrigation ditch to burn. By the time I get done with that irrigation starts to be a daily chore. Actually winter feeding is easiest chore time of the year.
I stand corrected. I thought feeding hay the way you do seemed to be pain in the a##. I've never been a fan of having to get in or out of a moving piece of equipment.

I stand corrected. I thought feeding hay the way you do seemed to be pain in the a##. I've never been a fan of having to get in or out of a moving piece of equipment.
A lot of the days the wife drives the truck and feed from the bed. She works some mornings. On those days I feed by myself. On those days I pull a couple flakes off from the ground. Pull ahead a little. Kick it out of gear and get out to pull off a couple more flakes. Repeat. A lot of people here feed off a moving rig. They have lower beds to work off and slower moving vehicles. Mine the bed is too tall for this old guy to climb up on without a ladder. Even in low range low gear at an idle it goes too fast.

Latest posts