I'd pay good $$

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
For a post hole auger that drills a perfect 9" X 10" rectangle hole..or a 8"x 9" hole.
(No--you can NOT drive cross ties in my soil)

I am sure you are aware of the mortise machines that I use in the workshop. They cut a square hole with a sharp 4 sided chisel surrounding the drill. Couldn't you just do that on a bigger scale?

snake67":2gtxtjcc said:
greybeard":2gtxtjcc said:
For a post hole auger that drills a perfect 9" X 10" rectangle hole..or a 8"x 9" hole.

MEEEOOOW!!!

I would feel for you - but everything here goes in with a backhoe - no pity from me.

LOL!!!

Bez
Let me see if I understand this.
"MEEEOOW!"
You'calling Me a wimp--but your using a backhoe.
There's something a just a little ironic about that Bez...

greybeard":3tmd5egj said:
Someone already invented that. That's a man killer at my age in red, sticky gummy clay. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-44-in-Post-Hole-Digger-1701400/202056565
its really nice when it dries up and hardens,, ive had smoke come from the auger tips...

ALACOWMAN":1hmbil9n said:
greybeard":1hmbil9n said:
Someone already invented that. That's a man killer at my age in red, sticky gummy clay. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-44-in-Post-Hole-Digger-1701400/202056565
its really nice when it dries up and hardens,, ive had smoke come from the auger tips...
Same way around here in places. seems like u get down a foot or so, then the clay is there. had to pour water in alot of holes and let it set to soften it up. Of course when you hit a limestone rock, it really smokess!! :!:

greybeard":3a5nqpb5 said:
snake67":3a5nqpb5 said:
greybeard":3a5nqpb5 said:

MEEEOOOW!!!

I would feel for you - but everything here goes in with a backhoe - no pity from me.

LOL!!!

Bez
Let me see if I understand this.
"MEEEOOW!"
You'calling Me a wimp--but your using a backhoe.
There's something a just a little ironic about that Bez...

LOL - you got me on that one!

My best

Bez

Time to separate the men from the boys club.

When I set corners down by the river (it floods) I put them down 5' or more in the ground. My Dad got these somehwhere, and I've never seen another pair like them. Also used to set long telephone poles for the polebarn in the front of the property--they went down about 7', but that barn has stood at least 2 hurricanes and a tropical storm. Use these all day and you'll know it that night--wore out 2 sets of elbows and wrists with them.

calf001.jpg

I might be old but I can still go deep. :cowboy: :banana:

greybeard":2xpbz2av said:

When I set corners down by the river (it floods) I put them down 5' or more in the ground. My Dad got these somehwhere, and I've never seen another pair like them. Also used to set long telephone poles for the polebarn in the front of the property--they went down about 7', but that barn has stood at least 2 hurricanes and a tropical storm. Use these all day and you'll know it that night--wore out 2 sets of elbows and wrists with them.

calf001.jpg

seems as I remember a set like that on an old well drillers rig years ago. don't they operate opposite regular ones? you close the handles to close the mouth of the digger.

Yep--so you don't have to dig the top of the hole out real wide. The handles are split--they will slide right past each other.

Flint rocks and hard red clay and hand diggers don't go together, when the clay is dry you can not even soak it, the water will evaporate before it will soak in.

cowboy43":2cxj4tcb said:
Flint rocks and hard red clay and hand diggers don't go together, when the clay is dry you can not even soak it, the water will evaporate before it will soak in.
there was a long dry period when i built my hay barn... like to have never got the holes dug for it, 18 holes total... had to dig a little, and fill with water.. let soak over night. dig some more the next day same deal..

Clay is better than rock. I Use a digging bar to chip instead of trying to use the diggers. You can also start with the auger, go until it smokes, and then use the bar to soften up one side of the hole so that it bites when you set it down. The key is to have someone else on the tractor and then stick that bar in between the frame and the auger head and hang on it so that when they set it down it has leverage to bite.
A skidsteer will also beat the crap out of a three point auger if you have access to one. You can put the weight of the whole front end on the auger bit and it DIGS.

CP, I used to live in San Angelo Texas. So much rock out there, they have a tool named after the place, and I got real acquainted with one.
Go to Google images and paste the following exactly as it is below:
"San Angelo bar tool"

GB, there is a book, titled How round is your hole, don't remember the author. There is a chapter on drilling square holes. It's just the way the bit is ground, works in wood and metal. Bet it would work in dirt also. Orton

greybeard":2s1ouzjf said:

calf001.jpg

These posthole diggers were used to dig holes for power and telephone poles before the days of line trucks. The older guys I work with were given a pair of these when they started work. They were dropped off in the morning with their dinner and were expected to dig three holes by quitting time.
I have a couple of pairs around the place. You ought to see the digging bar that goes with these.

Latest posts