I think they call this farming...

Help Support CattleToday:

BrianL

Reaction score
To start off with I busted a back tire on our new tractor that we have had three days. I was sick. I am still sick about that.

Next, we had a heifer we had to put at tag in her ear. I rounded her into the barn. No problem. Then I ran her into our so called headgate. My wife closed it on her. She lifted it off the ground and took off with it. Then she managed to turn it over. She was restained, after she turned it over on it's side. This was the first time I had used this headgate and I have discovered it is way to light.

After that I told my father that I was going to have the county extension agent come out and design us some proper handling facilities. Much to my suprise, he agreed. It took one of us about getting hurt to bring about change on our farm.

I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Is your headgate part of a chute if so does it have a floor in it . I have chute and headgate , no squeeze ,when I got it they told me I had to have a floor in it , I could have used wooden planks , but I got the rubber-plastic planks called rumber , they aren't as slippery and they should last a long time. If there is no floor in your chute that must be your problem , I don't think there is a chute made heavy enough that they couldn't carry away without a floor in for them to stand on and hold it down.

BrianL":39g7adzn said:
To start off with I busted a back tire on our new tractor that we had had three days. I was sick. I am still sick about that.

Next, we had a heifer we had to put at tag in her ear. I rounded her into the barn. No problem. Then I ran her into our so called headgate. My wife closed it on her. She lifted it off the ground and took off with it. Then she managed to turn it over. She was restained, after she turned it over on it's side. This was the first time I had used this headgate and I have discovered it is way to light.

After that I told my father that I was going to have the county extension agent come out and design us some proper handling facilities. Much to my suprise, he agreed. It took one of us about getting hurt to bring about change on our farm.

I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

I call this getting a education and paying for it.

I remember days like that. Wait, we have a squeeze and those days are still available. I have begun to think it's a way of life.
Thankfully no one was hurt.
We have a high qual chute. Not hydraulic or anything. Basic squeeze and head gate that does cows and bulls. It's to big to process 3 mo calves but we make it work. Husband built a palp cage for the vet when preg testing or semen testing.
The basic high qual like we have works well with cow calf pairs and will last for a long time handling cows that are not really stressed out.
That came out wrong.
It's a good chute. What i have seen though is feeders are hard on it. They are kinda nuts and rush and hit the chute hard. So it is stressful on the metal. When doing backgrounding cattle, they are high strung and seen more than my share of broken backs because they come in too "hot".
some of that comes from the way they are handled and some of that came from being processed shortly after coming off the truck. And some were those crazy Limo's who, well, are just plain strung out all the time. (Sorry Limo lovers)

You probably need to have your head gate mounted, chained/ welded/bolted or something to some good cross ties, or pipes, or whatever, would be in the ground very well, probably concrete in the hole and the hole deep and wide at the bottom. You know a rope will usually do the job as far as catching a animal, but you have to have the other end well placed, or they run off with it also. Just think about what is going to be in it, and how it is mounted, or not. Cattle are very strong. A head gate not attatched to sturdy pipe or posts, can't hardly do what it was intended to do. It's not safe for animal or the people either to put a cow, in a head gate not attached very well to something anchored in ground, or concrete. Take care. Hope you the best.

tryinhard

IMO there is nothing worse than going out to do a chore and then things go sour like a domino effect. We were baling hay one time and the front tire of the tractor went flat. Put the spare on, but when we were unloading the power chord on the bale-avator became unhooked from the motor. When it rains it pours I guess.

IMG_0523.JPG

This makes me sick.

BrianL":1xi77q4m said:
IMG_0523.JPG

This makes me sick.
It can be easily fixed.Learn as much as you can from it and move on.We've all done this sort of thing ,it's part of life.

Larry

fourstates":3mp8ln0z said:
Trust me, it can get worse. Just not getting hurt is the blessing.
SSL10072.jpg

My Massey didn't come out as well.

How on earth did you do that?

Pulling the Massey out of deep mud with the Kubota. When we got the Massey out, the Kubota had to stop because of the trees. The Massey would not stop, climbed the back of the Kubota, flipped and the chain pulled the Kubota onto the belly of the Massey. I was under both tractors. The Lord was definitely with me that evening. I cut my arm where my watch was and got 12 stitches.

Famous last words:
Honey, I need your help for a just a minute.
Shorten that damn chain, this is gonna take all night!!
JUMP! JUMP! (didn't)
Kill switch? Oh yeah...

Farming is dangerous business.

More famous last words: Don't worry, I've done this before.
This would never happen to me.

fourstates":2gktxor1 said:
Pulling the Massey out of deep mud with the Kubota. When we got the Massey out, the Kubota had to stop because of the trees. The Massey would not stop, climbed the back of the Kubota, flipped and the chain pulled the Kubota onto the belly of the Massey. I was under both tractors. The Lord was definitely with me that evening. I cut my arm where my watch was and got 12 stitches.

Famous last words:
Honey, I need your help for a just a minute.
Shorten that be nice chain, this is gonna take all night!!
JUMP! JUMP! (didn't)
Kill switch? Oh yeah...

Farming is dangerous business.

More famous last words: Don't worry, I've done this before.
This would never happen to me.

You were definitely lucky...The good news is we'll be getting a new tire tomorrow. Also the county extension agent is coming out Friday to design us some proper handling facilities.

Wow, it took me a little bit to make heads or tails out of that picture. I see an upside down shredder and wheels where they shouldn't be, finally realized it was 2 tractors. It is an absolute miracle you were not hurt or killed. Thank the Lord for that one, he was sure watching over you that day. How did you get it all straightened out?

Latest posts