i think she's close

Help Support CattleToday:

txffamom

Reaction score
Just came back from checking the momma cow with the hurt leg.

Last Tuesday (11 days ago), we started seeing a small amount of sticky clear to amber discharge. It has been fairly constant and about 1 thumb joint in quantity and has no smell. Today, it was stringy, wrapped around her tail. She came up to eat her hay without any coaxing, but her tail is raised and she was flicking it pretty hard, as if flicking flies.

As i understand it, the raised tail is a good indicator that she is close to calving. How long should we expect to see this behavior before we see other signs of progress?

I left her alone to do her thing, but I'll be back out there within an hour or so. I'm hoping she has it, so I can quit worrying.

As far as her leg, she still has a small limp/foot drag on occassion, but it's not a labored limp like a couple of weeks ago. When she stands, you can see her shift the leg as if relieving some discomfort

That discharge is the cervical plug. It keeps bacteria out of uterus during pregnancy. When it comes out, you are 24 to 72 hours away. Good luck, we all hope things go smoothly and you have a nun eventful delivery.

It's twins. Born in the night and we just found them. Both got up and walked to mom when we got here, but she isn't getting up. She let out a low muurrrr and they stood and went to her. We are waiting for daylight to do anything with any of them.

kucala5":39nm41g9 said:
txffamom":39nm41g9 said:
Both nursed, and a placenta passed. Still waiting for daylight.
:clap:
Post pics when you can!

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0533.jpg

IMAG0537.jpg

I guess Sir Liz is wrong as usual! Congrats on the new babies and the momma looks like she has plenty of milk for them!!!!

dun":34yxokbs said:
How is she walking now?

Like nothing ever was wrong. And we figured out just how fast while trying to snatch a calf this afternoon. While she is MUCH calmer than with the first calf, she didn't take kindly to us snatching him while she had her back turned.

Taurus":vvi44xa1 said:
I guess Sir Liz is wrong as usual! Congrats on the new babies and the momma looks like she has plenty of milk for them!!!!

Definitely glad we let her hold onto them another couple weeks, instead of pulling the calves and shooting the momma. :D She seems to be doing ok on milk. We will know just how well once the little one really gets the hang of it.

branguscowgirl":3ike4egq said:
Glad you have 2 live calves and mamma is up! :clap:
Thank you. We are glad they are all healthy too.

At this point, we realize that she wasn't getting up because she is calmer this time around than with the first calf. With the first one, my daughter was the only one she would let near for over a week. She still growls a bit, and let me know I was taking her baby, but didn't really come for me til I had a gate between us.

Latest posts