I think my cow ate plactic hay twine

Help Support CattleToday:

Thats what I don't like about that twine. It tangles on everthing. If I ever fall out of a airplane I want a piece of baleing twine. It will hang on something on the way down.At least the other will decompose. I always try to remove the twine from the bales but it can be nearly impossible to get it all. Im always hanging a food or something in it.
As far as your cow goes it depends on how big a piece she ate. Cows will eat a lot of stuff they aint supposed to. I have never had a problem with one eating twine.

You need to kick some piles over the next few days...I've found twine balled up in the guts of slaughtered animals and they were fine...alot of the stuff and I'd watch the weight gain of the cow and see if there is a negative effect...

I think it depends on how much she ate, and where it ends up! Years ago I lost a cow to a big wad of that twine in her gut. It can cause a blockage if it's big enough. And as noted above.. I don't think that stuff ever decomposes.

i wouldn't worry too much about it,i have heard of cows having problems with plastic twine & if i use it i try to get it all off. but the old man used plastic & never took it off at all & he never lost a cow to it

It's a headache. It definitely can accumulate in their stomachs and kill them. But you can never get it all picked up. Just pick up all you can and don't worry about the rest.

Craig-TX

Had a cow that would chase down a plastic bag if it blew into the pasture. She ate them all the time never a problem. I was surprised that she didn't dump out neat little bags of moo mud

dun

Medic24":3ddbrn9f said:
Suspect it should come out ok in the end.................... ;-) :roll: :cboy:

:lol2: i hope so... i got some that stuff once... hated it.. i would spear the roll and pick it up.. then cut all the strings and take them off before i ever went out of the hay area with it...

got most of it, but i still found a few in the feeding area later...

good luck...

jt

Reading all the replies makes me ask a question -

The hay I buy is always wrapped with plastic twine. I always carry the rolls out and set them down, cut the twine and pull it off. Then I throw it away. Are you saying this is unnecessay to do? I've heard of them eating it and the horror stories, or are the stories mostly rumors? I'm very carefull to pick up all the pieces, both long and short. Occassionally there will be some tangled up in the middle of the bale and I know it is never eaten. But what about the twine wrapped aound the outside?
Thanks in advance for the replies .

jw":1w13hg8c said:
Reading all the replies makes me ask a question -

The hay I buy is always wrapped with plastic twine. I always carry the rolls out and set them down, cut the twine and pull it off. Then I throw it away. Are you saying this is unnecessay to do? .

Yep, If ya like to replace wheel barrings on tractors and bushings on brush hogs.

We were given a cow many years ago by a fellow who never picked up and disposed of hay twine. This cow was thin and nothing I did fattened her up. When she was butchered, her stomach was stuffed with a wad of twine about the size of a basketball.

When we bought our place about 15 years ago we picked up twine every time we saw it, and always disposed of our own twine. With spring thaw, I'm still occasionally finding some of the previous owner's twine.

Latest posts