I see train wreck coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Before 8:00 this morning I was out feeding my cows and I saw head lights pull in over there. First time I have seen him this early. He would have had to leave Boise about 6:00 to get here that early. Although once you clear Caldwell the speed limit goes to 80 MPH. I notice most people with Idaho plates here seem to think they are still in Idaho.

I saw a cattle truck over there on his place today so the Galloways have arrived. This next week he will probably be stuck in Boise. Dave doesn't drink coffee. How is that possible for someone of Scandinavian decent who was raised 30 miles from Seattle?
Old Yankee stock and I don't drink coffee either.....

The north and west sides of my property and about 3/4 of a mile on the south side are bordered by BLM. Most of the east side is bordered by a generational ranch. GGG grandpa came here in a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail. The area is zoned 320 acres minimum size to sub divide to and is required to build a new house.
I believe the rules in Oregon are that land zoned as agricultural can not have a house built on it unless you can convince the Planning Dept that a home is required in order to manage an agricultural purpose, such as taking care of livestock. When we first purchased our place, (close to 1000 acres) we still lived in Minnesota. We inquired about a building permit when we first arrived, and were told a home was not permitted, because we had the ranch leased to another producer. When his lease was up we bought our own cattle and were able to get a permit based on our contention that we needed to live on the property in order to properly manage the cattle. Perhaps we would have continued taking the easy money from that lease, had the rules been different, but I have never regretted it. I was raised around Dairy cattle and crop farming, so there was a pretty steep learning curve, but 32 years later it is a fairly profitable operation and I wouldn't want any other life.

I am thankful for the strict land use rules here in Oregon. It means I most likely will never have a close neighbor, especially since we built our house over a mile in from the nearest public road.

Before 8:00 this morning I was out feeding my cows and I saw head lights pull in over there. First time I have seen him this early. He would have had to leave Boise about 6:00 to get here that early. Although once you clear Caldwell the speed limit goes to 80 MPH. I notice most people with Idaho plates here seem to think they are still in Idaho.
I experience a similar scenario Driving from Ohio to South Carolina. Once I reach Virginia, I can easily recognize drivers from North Carolina by their 'lead foot'. I thought it was an anomaly the first couple vehicles I took notice of. After the 8th or 9th, I figured out I'd be 'going to the races' once I reached the state line.........I was right.

BTW, I've never experienced driving in Atlanta. I hear it's really bad. If it's even half as bad as Charlotte, I don't want to come within 100 miles of Atlanta traffic.

Is this why we include our locations? So we know how each other drives or at least what kind of traffic our friends have to put up with?

BTW, I've never experienced driving in Atlanta. I hear it's really bad. If it's even half as bad as Charlotte, I don't want to come within 100 miles of Atlanta traffic.

I've never experienced anything as bad as ATL traffic. Even late at night it's crazy.

God forbid you break down without protection. And most certainly don't take the Bankhead exit!!!!

When I was in my early teens, my parents would take the family to Fort Myers, FL over Christmas break in our motor home, to visit my aunt and uncle that had a condo there. We went straight down I-75. We are only about 25-30 miles from I-75 where we live. My father would drive that 33 ft motorhome right through Atlanta, that was around 35 years ago. It was bad then everybody dreaded Atlanta. He was a wild driver to start with, he was road rage before it had a name.
The last time we went there after he passed. My mother and I went a longer route taking 1-65 down through west KY, TN and Alabama into FL to avoid Atlanta.
Never been back through Atlanta and hoping never to have to.
When my wife and go to Oklahoma, We go through Nashville and Memphis. Certain times of the day they are kind of hairy but if timed right not too bad. We stopped of once to eat In Nashville and getting around through the city just a little ways was a nightmare. I swore if I got out of there I'd never be driving in Nashville anymore. To me it's worse than Memphis, I don't like driving through either one.

I believe the rules in Oregon are that land zoned as agricultural can not have a house built on it unless you can convince the Planning Dept that a home is required in order to manage an agricultural purpose, such as taking care of livestock. When we first purchased our place, (close to 1000 acres) we still lived in Minnesota. We inquired about a building permit when we first arrived, and were told a home was not permitted, because we had the ranch leased to another producer. When his lease was up we bought our own cattle and were able to get a permit based on our contention that we needed to live on the property in order to properly manage the cattle. Perhaps we would have continued taking the easy money from that lease, had the rules been different, but I have never regretted it. I was raised around Dairy cattle and crop farming, so there was a pretty steep learning curve, but 32 years later it is a fairly profitable operation and I wouldn't want any other life.

I am thankful for the strict land use rules here in Oregon. It means I most likely will never have a close neighbor, especially since we built our house over a mile in from the nearest public road.
I know the rules are different on the west side than here on the east side of the state. The 320 acres was told to me by my lawyer while talking about the easement for the power line. I am pretty sure the new neighbor won't have a problem getting a permit. There was an old single wide on the property. This was where the former owners hired man lived.

I do drink my fair share.
And I'll jump on the wagon, coffee is just plain nasty 🤢🤢🤢
I try it every few years thinking maybe my taste buds have changed, but nope. I love the smell of coffee though 🤷‍♂️
I never used to drink coffee until going to work at our community college. One winter it was so cold and the only thing hot was coffee. I started out with creamer and sugar until my doctor told me I had cut back on the sugar; she said I was borderline diabetic. Now I just drink coffee and creamer, can't seem to drink it black. I just recently started to drink Black Rifle coffee, so far I really like it. I like it better than Folgers, although it cost more.

Latest posts