I need a new multi tool

Help Support CattleToday:

SJB

Reaction score
A few years back on a hunting trip, I donated my leatherman to the San Antonio TSA.

I'd kinda like to have another one, and I was wondering if any of y'all had a favorite model you'd recommend?

Just buy a cheap one. You'll never lose it that way. I could drop a cheap pocketknife in the lake and hook it on the next cast. I have lost expensive knives in my living room never to be seen again.

I prefer the leatherman super tool. You can change the wire cutter jaws when they wear out. Cut a many strands of barbedwire with mine. I bought them off ebay about 12 yrs ago for $39. I'd for sure be lost without them.

Cal

If you can find one buy a SOG nothing else compares. I have used them all, have a leatherman now since I lost my SOG. It isn't even close. Believe it or not I cut 1/8" chain with it once in a bind. It really wasn't any more money either. I think I will check on line since I can't find one local anymore. Gerber makes a decent one but they break when you use them for tractor pins!

I have the Leatherman Wave and really like it. Got a Gerber that I won but have not carried it any yet, not even sure of the model.

I have several,all acquired as gifts from well meaning family members. They're all in a drawer somewhere, unused.
I'd like one tho, that is belt carried, and in addition to the usual pliers/screwdriver/saw blade, had accommodations for a 6 pack cooler, a mini-chainsaw, coleman type lantern, be able to remove lugnuts from a 45hp tractor, a single bit axe, be able to fire at least 2 rounds of .45 acp or .410 for snake killin, able to hold all my daily heart medications, a barbed wire stretcher, hold 2 packs of cheese crackers, a telescoping fishin rod with a Fred Arbogast hulapopper , and a weather radio.
Suggestions?

SJB":37nr1stm said:
I bought the leatherman wave and some extra bits. We'll see how it does.
Sounds like a good choice. Can I ask what you will be using it for?

My latest (had 3 Leatherman's) is the Skeletool CX, I hate heavy stuff weighing my pocket or belt down, it has only what is necessary for me, and most importantly, it has a knife you can deploy with one hand without opening the tool.

greybeard":2gxechke said:
I have several,all acquired as gifts from well meaning family members. They're all in a drawer somewhere, unused.
I'd like one tho, that is belt carried, and in addition to the usual pliers/screwdriver/saw blade, had accommodations for a 6 pack cooler, a mini-chainsaw, coleman type lantern, be able to remove lugnuts from a 45hp tractor, a single bit axe, be able to fire at least 2 rounds of .45 acp or .410 for snake killin, able to hold all my daily heart medications, a barbed wire stretcher, hold 2 packs of cheese crackers, a telescoping fishin rod with a Fred Arbogast hulapopper , and a weather radio.
Suggestions?
i think that will cost you a pretty penny if you find a good deal on a few let me know :)

Kell-inKY":9p4a9kdd said:
Sounds like a good choice. Can I ask what you will be using it for?

My latest (had 3 Leatherman's) is the Skeletool CX, I hate heavy stuff weighing my pocket or belt down, it has only what is necessary for me, and most importantly, it has a knife you can deploy with one hand without opening the tool.
]

I seem to need one the most when I'm hunting, fishing, shooting or working on something related to the above.

hillbilly beef man":1uat1phg said:
Just buy a cheap one. You'll never lose it that way. I could drop a cheap pocketknife in the lake and hook it on the next cast. I have lost expensive knives in my living room never to be seen again.

Truer words have never been spoken, well written actually. I've lost two really good Gerber pocket knives. I've got one now that I pretty much keep on a string so I won't lose it. They aren't cheap, that's for sure.

Leathermen Wave. I have been packing it for 17 years or so. I have gone through three sheaths and two Wave's. The first Wave I broke a blade cutting twine off a round bale. Sent it back to Leathermen and they sent me a new one. They certainly don't work for everything but will do a lot of jobs. Having one on the belt has saved me a lot of steps over the years.

SmokinM":khgtilxf said:
If you can find one buy a SOG nothing else compares. I have used them all, have a leatherman now since I lost my SOG. It isn't even close. Believe it or not I cut 1/8" chain with it once in a bind. It really wasn't any more money either. I think I will check on line since I can't find one local anymore. Gerber makes a decent one but they break when you use them for tractor pins!

Which model of the SOG do you prefer? Amazon has several listed.

Latest posts