I met a true outlaw yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

SoILcattle":2ohhzr1e said:
We have a 56$ sevice call in our county and it goes up the further we go. Show up diagnose the problem, give a estimate/bid on the work needed to be done before performing any work. If work and price is approved we complete the task and get paid. I am not the cheapest around but we are honest and do good work that we stand behind, we are also very busy. We are plumbers

I could do business with you.

Where you messed up is when you went searching for how much it would have cost for you to buy the parts. If you can't do it yourself then you might as well pay the price and forget about it. No need to try an figure how much he made on you unless you just want to make yourself mad

greybeard":m5w9pmfz said:
Clodhopper":m5w9pmfz said:
$15-20 dollars, plus his benefits. Also workman's comp, liability, the truck he drove to get there, insurance on it as well. The tools, special training, etc. The building that houses the business, utilities and upkeep on it, insurance again, the secretary, etc. Is that all? Probably not. Doing business is expensive these days. If it's too high, do it yourself.
Yes, but they don't really have to collect all that in one service call--you would think, they 'could' spread it out over a month's worth of work.....

If his business is like mine then that probably is spread out over a months worth of work. It costs money to keep inventory. Clodhopper is 100% right IMO. And the most important unmentioned piece of the puzzle.... To me anyway..... TIME. Customer calls. Company responds. Does the job at a moments notice and does it right, plus it was after hours/weekend. He could have spent his time fishing on the riverbank, or at home with his kids. But instead he chose to work while the customer was enjoying free time. He should be compensated well. We all only have a certain amount of time here. Nobody knows how much they have. I spent way too many years working for nothing, trying to "help" folks get by cheap. They enjoyed many luxuries while all I done was work. Now I charge what a job is really worth, my customers are still happy, and I have dang near a years worth of work lined up. I may be still working to cheap :lol2: I told my wife not long ago "I can be tired or I can be broke. I've been both. But I'm done with being tired and broke at the same time!"

One other thing to mention. If he is a good service provider then he is also being compensated in advance for the liability he assumes should something tear up next week and he stands by his work. Every job you perform adds more liability. I.e. I done a remodel job last year. Lady calls a couple of months after we were done and says that her shower faucet is dripping. It's not her fault. It's not my fault. It's not the builders supply's fault. It's the manufacturer's fault. Guess who's gonna eat it. Me. Bc I provide excellent customer service. Sure, it's only a $15 stem that's got a bad o-ring. But by the time I send a truck, send a man, procure the part, buy the part, and figure in opportunity cost, I'm in the hole for $200 bucks, conservatively. This happens more than most people realize. Maybe most folks wouldn't stand by their job this way. But I do. And if it's not compensated for in some way, it will cost you a good bit in a years time. I only want to make a living. I'm not trying to get rich. This guy may or may not feel the same way. A lot of people that work "real cheap" don't stay around long and may or may not do a quality job. You generally, not always, get what you pay for. Sorry for writing a book :hide:

I would rather pay someone a high price and get a good job from them,than to get a poor job cheaper. It is $100 service charge from heating and cooling repair here. It may be higher, as I have not had to call them in several years.But I get good service and I trust their work. They have been very dependable through the years. Yes, these people have to make a living, too and we should respect that and not expect them to work for nothing. I realize there are those who take advantage of you, and I try to watch out for them.

So when are cattle prices coming back up?
In our case I mentioned, Half a day's work, most of it spent sitting around vacuuming out the system and eating our food.. Is that really worth more than a nice calf?

In my experience most people who complain about the price of services have never been in business for themselves. They just don't understand the costs involved. All they care about is how cheaply they can get it for, despite how much they'll insist that they want quality. Sometimes, for those people, there is a PITA fee added in. IMO businesses should band together and start charging it outright when dealing with those customers. Maybe then their tune would change. I know a guy who says that you have to pass a test to become a plumber, it would be nice to have to pass one to become a customer too.

The other issue that people don't always realize is that long standing companies which have been established for years have long since paid most of their start up costs. Since they no longer have some of the overhead of newer companies they can afford to charge less for some things, and their prices don't always keep up with inflation. Eventually that company will be sold, and the new owner is going to need to pay his mortgage somehow, if you want him to be there to serve you.

JMJ Farms":262jqa6v said:
greybeard":262jqa6v said:
Clodhopper":262jqa6v said:
$15-20 dollars, plus his benefits. Also workman's comp, liability, the truck he drove to get there, insurance on it as well. The tools, special training, etc. The building that houses the business, utilities and upkeep on it, insurance again, the secretary, etc. Is that all? Probably not. Doing business is expensive these days. If it's too high, do it yourself.
Yes, but they don't really have to collect all that in one service call--you would think, they 'could' spread it out over a month's worth of work.....

If his business is like mine then that probably is spread out over a months worth of work. It costs money to keep inventory. Clodhopper is 100% right IMO. And the most important unmentioned piece of the puzzle.... To me anyway..... TIME. Customer calls. Company responds. Does the job at a moments notice and does it right, plus it was after hours/weekend. He could have spent his time fishing on the riverbank, or at home with his kids. But instead he chose to work while the customer was enjoying free time. He should be compensated well. We all only have a certain amount of time here. Nobody knows how much they have. I spent way too many years working for nothing, trying to "help" folks get by cheap. They enjoyed many luxuries while all I done was work. Now I charge what a job is really worth, my customers are still happy, and I have dang near a years worth of work lined up. I may be still working to cheap :lol2: I told my wife not long ago "I can be tired or I can be broke. I've been both. But I'm done with being tired and broke at the same time!"

One other thing to mention. If he is a good service provider then he is also being compensated in advance for the liability he assumes should something tear up next week and he stands by his work. Every job you perform adds more liability. I.e. I done a remodel job last year. Lady calls a couple of months after we were done and says that her shower faucet is dripping. It's not her fault. It's not my fault. It's not the builders supply's fault. It's the manufacturer's fault. Guess who's gonna eat it. Me. Bc I provide excellent customer service. Sure, it's only a $15 stem that's got a bad o-ring. But by the time I send a truck, send a man, procure the part, buy the part, and figure in opportunity cost, I'm in the hole for $200 bucks, conservatively. This happens more than most people realize. Maybe most folks wouldn't stand by their job this way. But I do. And if it's not compensated for in some way, it will cost you a good bit in a years time. I only want to make a living. I'm not trying to get rich. This guy may or may not feel the same way. A lot of people that work "real cheap" don't stay around long and may or may not do a quality job. You generally, not always, get what you pay for. Sorry for writing a book :hide:
I've been in "on call" work since '98, and like JMJ have had to spend many hours away from what's important to me after regular working hours. My brother is the top service man at the biggest HVAC dealer around ($20/hr won't touch his wages, by the way). They too eat some time and materials to make things right, like JMJ. However, as I stated before, you want service after hours, be prepared to pay for it. Otherwise, tough it out until 8:00 Monday morning.

Last summer, the night before my old friend from washington was due to fly in, the toilet in one bathroom plugged. When I flushed the toilet the stuff came up in the bathtub and sink. NASTY. Called a friend of mine about who to use for a plumber. Called the guy he recommended. Was told he would be able to get to it in a couple of days. So I started through the phone book. When I finally got someone that would answer, this was 8 at night the guy said he would be out in an hour. Half hour later he pulled up. Messed around, did some checking, finally had to dismount the toilet and run a power snake down the drain. After about an hour and 60 foot of power snake he broke the plug and all was well. Remounted the toilet, wet vacced the bathroom flower and washed and disinfected it. Rinse out the sink and shower, disinfected them. Put all his stuff away and brouht me the bill. I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack when I saw it. 2 hours, after hours, all the stuff he did, a whopping 260 bucks. I asked him if he was sure he hadn;t forgotten something. You can bet your butt I've recommended him to every one I know and will gladly call him again for any plumbing problems I have.

Margonme":34u7dimy said:
Does not surprise me. Value of money is the issue. It has eroded to the point that prices for goods and services are being abused.

Respectfully disagree. This is called greed! He's already charged for his time ($70 service call fee) and his price per hour shouldn't be more than about $100/hour to replace the components.

lavacarancher":3890xyuz said:
Margonme":3890xyuz said:
Does not surprise me. Value of money is the issue. It has eroded to the point that prices for goods and services are being abused.

Respectfully disagree. This is called greed! He's already charged for his time ($70 service call fee) and his price per hour shouldn't be more than about $100/hour to replace the components.

My comment is a generalization and broad in scope. Small businesses like the one JMJ Farms and Clodhopper are describing are not making good money. The inputs exceed the income. For example, a metal works I use in Ripley, Ohio is privately owned by an older couple. The manager of the operation said they operate on a cash flow basis with the objective of covering costs. NO PROFIT. If you wonder why they do not close, according to the manager, the couple who own it hate to put the employees out of work

In today's economic climate, the costs are a reflection of the erosion of the value of the US dollar. Look at the cost of an air filter, a bottle of over-the-counter pharmaceuticals, a part for a rotary mower, chain saw bar, a quality tire, a bottle of Ultra Boss, etc. In this thread the subject is the cost of services - they are astronomical! In Example, consider medical services.

Luca Brasi":uf0tfer4 said:
In my experience most people who complain about the price of services have never been in business for themselves. They just don't understand the costs involved. All they care about is how cheaply they can get it for, despite how much they'll insist that they want quality. Sometimes, for those people, there is a PITA fee added in. IMO businesses should band together and start charging it outright when dealing with those customers. Maybe then their tune would change. I know a guy who says that you have to pass a test to become a plumber, it would be nice to have to pass one to become a customer too.

The other issue that people don't always realize is that long standing companies which have been established for years have long since paid most of their start up costs. Since they no longer have some of the overhead of newer companies they can afford to charge less for some things, and their prices don't always keep up with inflation. Eventually that company will be sold, and the new owner is going to need to pay his mortgage somehow, if you want him to be there to serve you.

My skills and schooling aren't the best but we're not talking about brain or heart surgery here. I like to call it being self - sufficient, and for what some folks charge you can replace a lot of parts. Like it or not the Internet is your friend for parts and information. Our ice maker went out in the fridge, one Internet search and a $5.00 switch all is good.
Inyati, some small businesses do well for themselves it's all in the management of the owner.

lavacarancher":3k04oo9r said:
Margonme":3k04oo9r said:

Why shouldn't it be? Just because you think he's making tons of money doesn't mean he is. Also it's his business he can charge what ever the Market will bear just like you do with your cows. I don't know. Maybe the government should step in and put a cap on the amount businesses can charge for their labor. That should help in redistributing the wealth and bring about the end of the free market.

True Grit Farms":2ye0sznc said:
Luca Brasi":2ye0sznc said:

My skills and schooling aren't the best but we're not talking about brain or heart surgery here. I like to call it being self - sufficient, and for what some folks charge you can replace a lot of parts. Like it or not the Internet is your friend for parts and information. Our ice maker went out in the fridge, one Internet search and a $5.00 switch all is good.
Inyati, some small businesses do well for themselves it's all in the management of the owner.

Yes, I am sure that is correct.

But I think Donald is correct when he points at our 20 trillion dollar debt and how it has wrecked our economic status in the world. Our dollar is just a few cents above monopoly money.

Craig Miller":tgkqqwn8 said:
lavacarancher":tgkqqwn8 said:
Margonme":tgkqqwn8 said:

Why shouldn't it be? Just because you think he's making tons of money doesn't mean he is. Also it's his business he can charge what ever the Market will bear just like you do with your cows. I don't know. Maybe the government should step in and put a cap on the amount businesses can charge for their labor. That should help in redistributing the wealth and bring about the end of the free market.
Where in the response did you read that I advocated government control of ANYTHING. I don't give a f--- what he charges! I simply said he was greedy and that greed was the motivation for what appears to be an overcharge. What I AM suggesting is that if you think something is over priced DON'T BUY IT. Nobody is forcing anyone to pay more than what they think is fair. Kinda like all the negative comments on Walmart a few months ago. If you don't like Walmart, go someplace else to shop. If you don't like what someone charges for their services go some place else. If you find the same service for half the price then my greed comment is valid. Jeez Louise.

lavacarancher":122nh8y2 said:
Craig Miller":122nh8y2 said:
lavacarancher":122nh8y2 said:

Where in the response did you read that I advocated government control of ANYTHING. I don't give a f--- what he charges! I simply said he was greedy and that greed was the motivation for what appears to be an overcharge. What I AM suggesting is that if you think something is over priced DON'T BUY IT. Nobody is forcing anyone to pay more than what they think is fair. Kinda like all the negative comments on Walmart a few months ago. If you don't like Walmart, go someplace else to shop. If you don't like what someone charges for their services go some place else. If you find the same service for half the price then my greed comment is valid. Jeez Louise.

This was sooooo last week

Craig Miller":1bzwyvhb said:
lavacarancher":1bzwyvhb said:
Craig Miller":1bzwyvhb said:

This was sooooo last week

Been gone for two weeks.

Latest posts