I have good news and I have bad news.

Help Support CattleToday:

LCCattle

Reaction score
Here's some good news for farmers, cattlemen and every other American.

The House of Representatives voted in favor (253-166) of a disapproval resolution (S.J. Res. 22) to end the Waters of the U.S. rule proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Army Corp of Engineers.

Now here's the bad news for farmers, cattlemen and every other American.
There are not enough votes in the House or Senate to override President Obama's expected veto.
http://nationalhogfarmer.com/marketing/ ... house-veto

TennesseeTuxedo":1wpt8rvf said:
We can have an impact on that in November.
Maybe you can. Sorry that I can't, I live in Minnesota. Lincoln may have been the last Republican to win Minnesota.
When Reagan won 49 of 50 states in '84 ... Minnesota was the 1 state he didn't carry.
The 7 county metropolitan area decides everything here .... my vote never comes close to mattering. :(

Son of Butch":1v34cqov said:
Lincoln may have been the last Republican to win Minnesota.
When Reagan won 49 of 50 states in '84 ... Minnesota was the 1 state he didn't carry.
Or maybe it was Nixon in 1972 when Massachusetts was the only state McGovern carried.

ga.prime":p669ayy9 said:
Son of Butch":p669ayy9 said:
Lincoln may have been the last Republican to win Minnesota.
Or maybe it was Nixon in 1972 when Massachusetts was the only state McGovern carried.
Okay, I guess I'm too hard on Minnesota and it is a tiny bit more conservative than I stated.

But I seldom see it. Our governor wants to tell North Carolina how to run their state.
The next thing ya know our Governor Goofy will declare all canner and cutter beef unfit for human consumption
and appoint a meat czar to put it in a hole in the ground or if we are lucky allow it to be sold for foreign export.

Interesting. I was not aware that the EPA and Corp were expanding the definition of "waters of the US" under 404 regulations. The original definition was broad. It would be a simple exercise to research it but based on memory it goes back to the 70s and probably the Jimmie Carter Era. I was working for Tesoro Coal Company. Tesoro submitted comments on the original definition as being broad and arbitrary. In practice, the definition never worked well. It made enforcement difficult.

I have not studied S.J. Res 22 but I would not doubt that a better definition would have some benefits to the regulated community. There are libraries of case law on 404 "Waters of the US". A portion of that is litigation on the definition.

PS: the 404 regulations were promulgated by the Corp not EPA. The massive Clean Water Act (for which EPA is the regulatory authority) used the 404 regulations to define the scope of the clean water act. There was a funny moment in Congress when a member of Congress criticized the two agencies for stretching the definition of "navigable waters". The navigable waters is a Corp term. When 404 permits were required for work in navigable streams, the Corp pushed the definition to extremes. To the point that one congressmen lamented that a navigable stream according to the Corp and EPA was any creek you could float a chicken down on a fence post.

inyati13":2cw27dfv said:
Interesting. I was not aware that the EPA and Corp were expanding the definition of "waters of the US" under 404 regulations.

They're trying to get "navigable" removed.

Rafter S":24hwbpv7 said:
inyati13":24hwbpv7 said:
Interesting. I was not aware that the EPA and Corp were expanding the definition of "waters of the US" under 404 regulations.

They're trying to get "navigable" removed.

Ah, that makes sense. It makes all the case law attempting to define it a work in vain!!!

I also live in Minnesota. Ventura-Franken-Dayton,just proves that Mn voters do have a since of humor. Mpls and St.Paul are getting to be known for the homicide rate more than anything else. To many victims in this state and not enough workers. To old to move to Wyoming now,so just grin and bear it.

Latest posts