I have a friend that I goto church with that....

Help Support CattleToday:

3rdgeneration farmer

Reaction score
He has a 900lb heifer that acts normal, but she has started to not eat. She puts her head down but dont graze. She also has drooling, nasal "snots", and some swelling of the nose, ,lips, and some puffiness starting toward the neck. What is this? She was recently let in to some hay pasture that had just been rolled. I thought maybe fescue toxicosis, but he's thinking wooden tongue, blue tongue, or lumpyjaw. I dont think lumpyjaw is the problem, this is far to acute.

When my heifers got blue tongue, they has a blood tinged mucus discharge, from the nose, and vulva. They acted sick, standing alone out in the pasture, not eating the usual amount. All 5 of them aborted.

The only way to confirm the diagnosis is a blood test.

Call the vet. Any swelling in the airways is serious.

fourstates":1cyjy0or said:
When my heifers got blue tongue, they has a blood tinged mucus discharge, from the nose, and vulva. They acted sick, standing alone out in the pasture, not eating the usual amount. All 5 of them aborted.

The only way to confirm the diagnosis is a blood test.

Call the vet. Any swelling in the airways is serious.

Call the vet. Any swelling in the airways is serious

Oh heck yeah! What fourstates says!

Alice

I am the owner of the heifer. The discription of blue tounge does not match, there's absolutely no blood anywhere. When I checked on her today, the swelling seemed to be going down. She looks almost normal now but is sill snotting and slobbering. If possible, I will post a pic if she's not better tomorrow. I'm thinking snake bite but if anyone has any other ideas, I'm very willing to listen. Thanks a bunch.

Getting better or not- still call the vet!
You might also think about a foreign object lodged somewhere, or a problem with her teeth or mouth. I would run her in the chute & do a bit of investigating. Temp her too.

Not wooden tongue. Had that last year. They get a swelling under the jaw only, obviously where the tongue lays in their month. They can't get the tongue all the way back in to their month eventually.