i hate this tree with a passion, HONEY LOCUSTS SOLUTION

Help Support CattleToday:

would drilling a few holes at a 45 degree angle of the trunk of the honey locust and injecting a few mililiters of undilute remedy or crossbow would work or should i just stick with the basal barking method? i guess it's my option but i'm just curious if anyone has ever done the drilling thing? i have numerous trees with a trunk diameter of 8 plus inches. i tell u what, surmount rocks for a foliar spray even though its restricted, but man oh man it works on the smaller size trees. i hate the person who brought this darn tree to missouri, grrrrrrr.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":dpbcr7z1 said:
How about girding the bigger trees? :idea: :?:

Locust is an oldd tree that if you kill the tree and not the roots it will send upa sucker at each node along the root. If you kill one big tree without getting the root system you end up with a thicket. Cut hose and you have a bigger dencer thicket and it just keeps going from that point.

dun

I bought a gallon of Remedy today, it aint cheap- $99.00 a gallon.
Ok which recipe is right?
Dun says 8 oz. to the gallon, BC says 32 oz to the gallon, both mixed with diesel.

I like Dun's version best, considering the price of this stuff.
The label shows 25 gallons mixed with 100 gallons of diesel, but if I can get buy with less, I would like that.
Dan

danl":399fssfb said:
Dun says 8 oz. to the gallon, BC says 32 oz to the gallon, both mixed with diesel.

The label shows 25 gallons mixed with 100 gallons of diesel, but if I can get buy with less, I would like that.
Dan

I'm no good with math, but doesn;t 25 galoons to 100 gallons come out to 4 oz per gallon?
I haven;t looked at the label in a long time, the 8 oz is what I have written on the door of the pesticide locker. I think 4 oz with water was recommended by th company but it didn;t work to well even as foliar spray except on MFR (MF doesn;t alwasy stand for Multi-Flora)

dun

dun":1j4qi5f0 said:
danl":1j4qi5f0 said:

Dan

I'm no good with math, but doesn;t 25 galoons to 100 gallons come out to 4 oz per gallon?
I haven;t looked at the label in a long time, the 8 oz is what I have written on the door of the pesticide locker. I think 4 oz with water was recommended by th company but it didn;t work to well even as foliar spray except on MFR (MF doesn;t alwasy stand for Multi-Flora)

dun
I wasn't real sure so I checked Google and it came up with 128 oz in a gallon which I think- means they say 32 oz to the gallon.
But if you have been using 4 0z to the gallon and it works , I will be more than happy to use your mixture. Save a lot of money.
Your mineral feeder works better than anything I have used. So I'll try almost anything you say. (Not jumping off of any bridges)
However it did have one bad affect, I had to make my father-in-law, my Dad and my brother each a feeder.
Dan

danlI wasn't real sure so I checked Google and it came up with 128 oz in a gallon which I think- means they say 32 oz to the gallon. But if you have been using 4 0z to the gallon and it works said:
4 oz to the gallon didn;t work, 8 oz did. For basal spray it calls for a 20 gallons of rmedy to make 100 gallons when mixed with diesel.

dun

George Monk":25qv2b19 said:
dun
is remedy better than crossbow for foliar and basal spraying???

I have no idea. We've used Remedy for a good while, the only crossbow around here is a pellet and I don;t want to kill all the trees so we've just stuck with the former

dun

I have used Crossbow liquid for a long time. It is good on the small stuff in fencerows.
It only has 16.5% Triclopyr and 2-4d, where Remedy is 61.6% Triclopyr only.
I assume that is why it is supposed to kill trees.

I'm about to find out.

Someone said on here, the leaves turn a lovely shade of yellow. About how long does that take.
I really really hate Honey Locust trees. My front tractor tires are like pincushions.
Sorry it wasn't lovely shade of yellow, it was pretty golden brown.
Dan

danl":2xtl0cx4 said:
I have used Crossbow liquid for a long time. It is good on the small stuff in fencerows.
It only has 16.5% Triclopyr and 2-4d, where Remedy is 61.6% Triclopyr only.
I assume that is why it is supposed to kill trees.

I'm about to find out.

Someone said on here, the leaves turn a lovely shade of yellow. About how long does that take.
I really really hate Honey Locust trees. My front tractor tires are like pincushions.
Sorry it wasn't lovely shade of yellow, it was pretty golden brown.
Dan

Just do a basal spray and ignore it for about 2 weeks, you'll be shocked/amazed/pleased with the results.

dun

I've used crossbow with moderate success but usually I have to come back again the next year to finish the tree off. this winter I girdled several large trees and put tordon on them. they are already dead

Believe it or not, locust trees have beautiful wood. I cut down one that was 4' across last summer, and made some beautiful wood.

Actually the wood glows under fluorescent light.

NO I do not need more!

2 cents from a woodworker

We've been cutting them off at ground level and spraying the exposed trunk area w/ a mixture of 1 part remedy, 2 parts diesel in a little pump up sprayer. Tiresome, grueling work, I've got no fewer then 50 stickers in my hands as it is.

I used crossbow (undiluted) painted on the stumps. No sprouts yet.

ok, old thread here, but same topic. What is the rate of Remedy for foliar spray to kill small Honey Locusts in the pasture? I assume you would mix with water?

TN B&B":2k1hglfk said:
ok, old thread here, but same topic. What is the rate of Remedy for foliar spray to kill small Honey Locusts in the pasture? I assume you would mix with water?
1%, yes with water...add a quart of surfactant per 100 gals of mix.

Do the cows not eat the pods? There actual been research using them in pasture setting to provide extra feed as pods and shade for the cattle. I've seen sheep eat the pods like candy and their seedlings. Turn them lose in new pasture and first thing they would go for was the honey locust seedlings. The pods have a high nutrition and should be good feed. Here is one link to some information on: http://pubs.cif-ifc.org/doi/pdf/10.5558/tfc67232-3
The research I am more familar with is done at Virginia Tech at Kentland Farms, but could not find a good link to the information at the moment.
Maybe cows are not as ready to eat the pods and seedlings as sheep. But you could always co-graze if you want to work with the honey locust instead of againist it. Just some thoughts!!

Sweet_Ag_Girl":2k868zqv said:
Do the cows not eat the pods? There actual been research using them in pasture setting to provide extra feed as pods and shade for the cattle. I've seen sheep eat the pods like candy and their seedlings. Turn them lose in new pasture and first thing they would go for was the honey locust seedlings. The pods have a high nutrition and should be good feed. Here is one link to some information on: http://pubs.cif-ifc.org/doi/pdf/10.5558/tfc67232-3
The research I am more familar with is done at Virginia Tech at Kentland Farms, but could not find a good link to the information at the moment.
Maybe cows are not as ready to eat the pods and seedlings as sheep. But you could always co-graze if you want to work with the honey locust instead of againist it. Just some thoughts!!
Cows eat them readily. Then they spread the seeds far and wide creating a bigger problem then you started with

Latest posts