i hate this tree with a passion, HONEY LOCUSTS SOLUTION

Help Support CattleToday:

redonmyhead

Reaction score
hello, our family has a 200 head angus farm in southern missouri where honey loctus trees r popular. Why would God create such an evil tree, grrrrrrrrr!!!! Let's just say, they grow like wild flower down on our land. An my father-in-law has ignored the problem for years, so i finally took the matters in my own hands. I've been using crossbow and the powerful surmount for foliar sprays. Been having excellent results with both. However, the older honey locust trees that r higher than 6-8 ft tall (that r full of pods with seeds for new little critters to grow) i want to try to kill with the Cut-surface (notching) technique or frilling technique. What type of herbicide would be wise to use for this technique? I've tried looking up tordon RTU, but does not specify the honey locust on its label. Anybody with a solution for this nasty tree? I want to use the cut-surface or frilling herbicide for the honey locust.

thanks for reading this

redonmyhead

Welcome to the boards Red
Crossbow has a mix rate for basal and stump applications.
Gordon's Cleanout Stump and Brush Killer worked well for me also

Welcome to the board Red,
I am reading the replies because I have alot of thorn trees (honey locusts) coming up all over my creek bottom land and some big ones over on a neighbor that he wants to kill also.

First rule is don;t cut or brush hog them! That just makes them spread. We use a basal spray of Remedy and deisel, works great. The pods are another issue. Short of gathering them up and burning them you'll just have to deal wit ha continuing problem until the seed bank is exhausted. Cows love the pods and spread the seeds far and wide. Critters also eat them and spread them. Kill the big trees to prevent further generation of seeds and just keep spraying the smaller ones as they come up.

dun

dun,

whats ur Remedy recipe for a frill treatment? how much remedy needed to mix with how much deisel? i know bush hogging is worthless on those trees. i found that out when i move from iowa down to the ozarks. they just grow in ten fold if u do, unbelievable. i know our local farm store has Remedy and crossbow.

redonmyhead":3ig6ffyt said:
dun,

whats ur Remedy recipe for a frill treatment? how much remedy needed to mix with how much deisel? i know bush hogging is worthless on those trees. i found that out when i move from iowa down to the ozarks. they just grow in ten fold if u do, unbelievable. i know our local farm store has Remedy and crossbow.

For foliar use water and 4 oz of Remedy per gallon. For a basal we use 8 oz remedy per gallon of diesel. All it takes is a band 6-8 ionches high around the trunk. Interestingly, when I accidently leaned way overr the fence and sprayed some locusts in the neighbors pasture I was only able to reach about 2/3 of the way around. Killed them just like the ones I had sparyed all the way around. Diesel used as a foliar spray doesn;t work. Just burns the leaves off and makes the tree a little sick but it comes back. We're cursed with cedars in a couple of areas that I wanted to clear out. Tried the basal spray deal on 12-16 inch dbh trees and it didn;t do squat. Foliar spray did the job.

dun

There may be something better today, but in the 1980's The Forestry Commission used Tordon101R It did and will work, to be injected into the cambiem layer, which is the layer just under the bark. u can cut around the tree which I think u were talking about not too deep, and put it in the groove with a paint brush or something simular. Good luck.

tryinhard":3osjjx38 said:
There may be something better today, but in the 1980's The Forestry Commission used Tordon101R It did and will work, to be injected into the cambiem layer, which is the layer just under the bark. u can cut around the tree which I think u were talking about not too deep, and put it in the groove with a paint brush or something simular. Good luck.

Tordon I believe is a restricted chemical and you need a license, Remedy is available ove rthe counter without a license.

dun

Drill the base with several half inch holes deep into the trunk. Bleed it. Best done in the spring when the sap is rising. This is for the big ones. Cordless drill.

The basal bark treatment Dun recommended works extremely well on honey locusts, mesquite, huisache, osage orange cedars but I use a different formulation with Remedy.

This makes 3 gallons of mix that you only need 2 to 3 inch band sprayed on the slick part of the bark. For heavier barked brush species just use a "little" more material like about 4 to 5 inch band.

Use 3/4 gal of Remedy
38 ozs. of Cide Kick II (a penetrating surfactant)
1.95 gals. diesel

Open the noozle on a 3 gal pump sprayer to shoot a stream and pump up to 1/2 pressure. Apply 2 to 3 inch band.

Makes honey locust leaves turn a pretty golden brown in about 2 weeks. Let them stand for 6 mos. to a year and then knock them down and you can burn.

We use the Remedy & diesel basal spray that Dun mentioned. It's been very effective on our area. The smooth bark trees are easier to kill than the rough bark trees. Another advantage of this method is that you can do it in the winter, too. Generally, it kills the roots and you don't get the regrowth that you get with some foliar sprays.

thankx guyz for the info. got my restricted license last week and been using surmount for foliar spray on the little crap. but i need to control the big trees with the seedlings. its gonna take some time, but if i can kill all those darn trees, it'll be worth it. i'm sick of flat tires on the tractors. once i get the honey locusts under control, next task is cedar trees. I heard they're tough to kill with herbicides. thanks again for the info.

Red

I have had good luck cutting honey locust and treating stump with Tordon RTU.

Could ya spray some 2-4D on the seeds to kill the germ? Just an idea don't know if it would work on the pods or if it only does that on exposed seeds

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2tay1g0m said:
We use Remedy and diesel mixed in these parts to kill mesquite. If it kills mesquites it ought to kill honey locust.

It will. I killed five or so this spring. hosed them down with a basel application.

Scotty

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":b1otob3m said:
How about girding the bigger trees? :idea: :?:

I don't know what that is. But if it ahs to do with getting to the trunck of the tree, it could be painfull.

Scotty

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":12oldkcg said:
How about girding the bigger trees? :idea: :?:

It will kill that tree. It will come back with a vengence in the way of sprouts. Remedy is the best method providing you let it stay for at least six months. If you kill it then remove the stump it will put up suckers from the roots that didn't come out with the stump. Be patient and let it stay for at least six months and it will get the most of the sprouts.

Latest posts