i hate this tree with a passion, HONEY LOCUSTS SOLUTION

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1ecplbpe said:
Sweet_Ag_Girl":1ecplbpe said:
Do the cows not eat the pods? There actual been research using them in pasture setting to provide extra feed as pods and shade for the cattle. I've seen sheep eat the pods like candy and their seedlings. Turn them lose in new pasture and first thing they would go for was the honey locust seedlings. The pods have a high nutrition and should be good feed. Here is one link to some information on: http://pubs.cif-ifc.org/doi/pdf/10.5558/tfc67232-3
The research I am more familar with is done at Virginia Tech at Kentland Farms, but could not find a good link to the information at the moment.
Maybe cows are not as ready to eat the pods and seedlings as sheep. But you could always co-graze if you want to work with the honey locust instead of againist it. Just some thoughts!!
Cows eat them readily. Then they spread the seeds far and wide creating a bigger problem then you started with
:nod: :nod:

dun":1u1ufshy said:
Sweet_Ag_Girl":1u1ufshy said:
Do the cows not eat the pods? There actual been research using them in pasture setting to provide extra feed as pods and shade for the cattle. I've seen sheep eat the pods like candy and their seedlings. Turn them lose in new pasture and first thing they would go for was the honey locust seedlings. The pods have a high nutrition and should be good feed. Here is one link to some information on: http://pubs.cif-ifc.org/doi/pdf/10.5558/tfc67232-3
The research I am more familar with is done at Virginia Tech at Kentland Farms, but could not find a good link to the information at the moment.
Maybe cows are not as ready to eat the pods and seedlings as sheep. But you could always co-graze if you want to work with the honey locust instead of againist it. Just some thoughts!!
Cows eat them readily. Then they spread the seeds far and wide creating a bigger problem then you started with

But they must not be eating the seedlings before they are problems. Big difference!! Sheep I've seen ate them and then didn't see them come back till a new crop next year. Different strokes for different folks. Different climates = different problems.

Transline is the silver bullet- it kills honey and black locust trees deader than fried chicken. Even if you can only reach half the foliage it will kill them. Also works great on mimosa and kudzu, and to a lesser degree wisteria. Not cheap but worth every penny- especially if you are spraying around trees you don't want to damage ( it is very selective, only killing legumes)

Tordon/Pathway works just fine. I make a girdling cut around the trunk and squirt the stuff on the exposed cambium. Kills 'em dead - but may take most of the season for 'em to die out completely.
The old Ortho Brush-B-Gon works just as well, if you paint/squirt it on full-strength.

I have a pint can of Agent Orange that I found, when cleaning out my MIL's basement 15 years ago. Haven't used it yet, but I'm saving it for just the right noxious plant.

A basal treatment of Remedy and diesel will knock them dead too.

ousoonerfan22":280hvq4w said:
Have you guys had any luck killing persimmon saplings?
If they're shoulder high I use remedy and diesel if they;re samller I use Surmount

ousoonerfan22":1be7wimk said:

Why do you want to get rid of the Persimmons? I have quite a few and never saw a reason to dislike them. I have Honey Locusts and will be trying some of the Remedy on them soon though.

ousoonerfan22":2tuycbez said:
This pasture has acres of them can you mix Surmount in a sprayer?
That's how I apply it. One thing to watch if you will be doing it with anything with tires is the old thorns on the ground will really cause issues. If you cut them before they are dead they send out suckers and just generate a dozen new trees for every one you cut.

Goodlife":10cg2rns said:
ousoonerfan22":10cg2rns said:

Why do you want to get rid of the Persimmons? I have quite a few and never saw a reason to dislike them. I have Honey Locusts and will be trying some of the Remedy on them soon though.
You must not have persimmons like we do. They form thickets in pastures and hay fields and just eat up space.

Lucky P : If you do have a pint of Agent Orange don't use it. Agent Orange was manufactured by the military during the Vietnam war to be a 50%-50% mix of 2,4-D and tryclopyr (Remedy). Unfortunately, their manufacturing process also produced a contaminant 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. This contaminant led to severe prenatal deformities and skin lesions. Use of dioxin is illegal and dangerous. But if you don't mind skin lesions, deformed babies, etc. go ahead and use it. I recommend you find a way to legally and safely dispose of it. Stick with a modern mix of Remedy and 2,4-D.

dun":2lakfzpp said:
Goodlife":2lakfzpp said:
ousoonerfan22":2lakfzpp said:

You must not have persimmons like we do. They form thickets in pastures and hay fields and just eat up space.

Yes, after I posted I read closer and saw the reference to thickets. You are right that we do not have them like that. In fact I have one that is at least 70 feet tall. I had to look twice as I had never seen one that size. But for whatever reason they have not spread into the pasture and the hickory and oak trees keep them repressed in the woods. Last year the pasture was a wheat field so I guess the cultivation kept the saplings out. Won't mowing and cattel grazing keep them from getting a start?

We didn't mind small thickets of persimmons but some of those thickets have grown to 2-5 acres in the last 20-25 years.My uncle dozed the thickets years ago but we still have to mow those areas at least once a year if not twice like will be needed this year.I mowed this spring and even with this drought those persimmons have 2-3 feet of new growth right now.
Also those things are starting up in open areas of the pasture that never had them!
It would be nice to find a way to kill them.

BC":4kwy87n9 said:
The basal bark treatment Dun recommended works extremely well on honey locusts, mesquite, huisache, osage orange cedars but I use a different formulation with Remedy.

This makes 3 gallons of mix that you only need 2 to 3 inch band sprayed on the slick part of the bark. For heavier barked brush species just use a "little" more material like about 4 to 5 inch band.

Use 3/4 gal of Remedy
38 ozs. of Cide Kick II (a penetrating surfactant)
1.95 gals. diesel

Open the noozle on a 3 gal pump sprayer to shoot a stream and pump up to 1/2 pressure. Apply 2 to 3 inch band.

Makes honey locust leaves turn a pretty golden brown in about 2 weeks. Let them stand for 6 mos. to a year and then knock them down and you can burn.

When using this method, do I just spray around the base of the trunk. I have about three big honey locust that are the root of my problem.

Bigfoot":1g8y9p7l said:
When using this method, do I just spray around the base of the trunk. I have about three big honey locust that are the root of my problem.
The term "basal" is kind of a misnomer or at least confusing. The basla treatment consists of spraying a band about a foot wide all the way around the trunk, doesn;t have to be at the "base" like you would think from the term. Just make sure that you get compeltely around the trunk. The neighbor had a ig honey locust that from my side of the fence I couldn;t reach all the way to the back side so I sprayed what I could reach. 2 weeks later the sides I sprayed were dying but the far side still had green leaves. The tree eventually died but it took it a couple of months instead of a couple of weeks. The good thing about killing them by spaying is that it kills the roots so that it won;t send up the accursed suckers that end up just making a cluster of the things. With the basal spray you might not notice much change but in a couple of weeks it will all of a sudden look like it has croaked.

Dun
Are you saying you spray the actual trunk, or the ground around the trunk? I thought basal spray meant the trunk, but just clarifying. We have one honey locust tree that is about 15 feet tall, and we need to get rid of it before it spreads. Better to wait until fall, or hit it now?

jerry27150":2l72zg4p said:
spray the bottom 18 inches of bark anytime of year
Yup, anywhere on the trunk (best below the lowest branches) doesn;t have to be at the "base". Trying to make it real clear I probably confused the issue instead. I'm real good at that! At least I'm good at something!

Latest posts