i hate this tree with a passion, HONEY LOCUSTS SOLUTION

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not confused about the basal treatment any more thanks. But, it will also kill a really big tree right. Side not----------In my reading about honey locust I found that Indians ate the crap out of the pods. I broke one open today. It was full of some kind of goo stuck my tongue to it. It was every bit as sweet as honey.

Bigfoot":g7t6m9yd said:
I'm not confused about the basal treatment any more thanks. But, it will also kill a really big tree right. Side not----------In my reading about honey locust I found that Indians ate the crap out of the pods. I broke one open today. It was full of some kind of goo stuck my tongue to it. It was every bit as sweet as honey.
The biggest tree I've killed with it was a 18 inch DBH cedar

Anyone know a good source for Remedy. Our local Rural King carries the Crossbow but not Remedy? Can I get it shipped on line? seems like the kind of stuff UPS would not like shipping. I have a coupld of Honey Locusts that have around 10-12" diameter trunks and lots of small ones I need to et rid of. I assume the basal treatment works on all sizes? And you dont scar the tree, you just spray it on top of the bark?

I was out working with a chainsaw today and was tempted to cut a few down, but this conversation made me think twice. I guess I will try to spray this temedy coctail on then right away. I would love for them to be dead by spring.

Called every place in town. Nobody has remedy. We're in a big row crop are, and have two big big chemicle dealers. One offered to order me a case of one gallon jugs if I paid the freight. I just have a few to kill. So no thanks. The other place carried tordon. They seemed unfamiliar with the product though.

7 years ago when I moved here we had 67 acres of mesquite that was so thick you could hardly walk through it.Now by using remedy and deisel there's not a mesquite in the field. Every summer you will see a sprout or two pop up from the left over beans but they are easy to kill.Took me a total of about 4 yrs to kill the whole bunch.

Cal

Just ordered triclopyr 4E on line. $67.95 a gallon. Bought two gallons for the free shipping. It replaces remedy ultra, garlon 3, garlon 4, and relegate. It's 60 percent tryclopyr. I'm going to basal spray my honey locust as soon as it comes in. The rest I'm saving until spring to spot spray with instead of crossbow. Three kids plus three spot sprayers equals clean pastures.

Bigfoot":3mrnia90 said:
Just ordered triclopyr 4E on line. $67.95 a gallon. Bought two gallons for the free shipping. It replaces remedy ultra, garlon 3, garlon 4, and relegate. It's 60 percent tryclopyr. I'm going to basal spray my honey locust as soon as it comes in. The rest I'm saving until spring to spot spray with instead of crossbow. Three kids plus three spot sprayers equals clean pastures.

Sounds like a good deal, esp. with free shipping. Where did you order it from?

Found even better deal today. It's too late for me, but you can get in on it. Keystone Pest Solutions has 2.5 gallon jug for $149 and some change. It's triplocyr 3.

My chemicles came in, and I followed Dun's recipe. I went way way overboard on the application. Put it on some honey locust way bigger than 6 inches. I didn't girdle them. I'll probably regret that. I saw no practical way to do that. If this don't kill them, I will get tough and knock them off at the ground with a chain saw in the spring. I hope this is. He bye seed pods forever.

It's been ten days, and I see change in trees. Has it been long enough to see a change?

Bigfoot":2skhsklg said:
It's been ten days, and I see change in trees. Has it been long enough to see a change?
Patience, my friend. It is starting to work if you are seeing a change in leaf color.

If you frill, make sure you just make a single frill. When I first started, I made several about 2 inches apart--each above the other. That's self defeating. I'm fighting a different kind of tree but have, contrary to the label instructions, had better luck in the fall here in E Texas, but before the leaves start changing colors.
I was just using a hatchet and spray bottle but am now using a Hypo Hatchet injector. Pretty pricey new ($349 at Forestry Supply), but I ran across a guy that had 6 complete used ones with carrying case, hose, and belt carried reservoirs + some extra parts and instruction sheets for $25 ea and I bought them all. When you hit the tree trunk with the hatchet, the sudden stop drives a piston forward and injects herbicide into the sapwood. Gotta clean it every day after use tho or the Remedy will swell up the o rings. The label sez not to use it with ester base herbicides but I do anyway--I got plenty of extras. :D
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... sp?mi=6348

Bit is machined from high quality tool steel for superior strength. Nickel-plated cylinder reduces corrosion and wear. No cylinder liner is required. Tygon® herbicide hose for maximum chemical resistance. Selectively kills undesirable trees in a forest stand without harming desirable trees nearby. To inject a tree, strike tree at a 45° angle with enough force to bury bit in sapwood. Striking the tree creates necessary force to deposit the pre-set amount of herbicide (slightly more than 1 ml). Make one injection per inch of tree dbh. Spacing between cut edges should not exceed 1-1/2". Injections are made waist high on the tree. 72" hose and check valve included. Order bottle and carrying case separately. Additional parts are available.

Greybeard,

I'll do the frill method Saturday. How do I mix the remedy herbecide? I did the 4 ounces in dorsal before. Also I looked up frill method online. Is it necessary to cut all the way around?

Bigfoot---I can't say with locust, but chinese tallow which also has smooth bark when young and a rough bark when older (about 2 yrs) On young trees, I cut 3-4 slashes, depending how big the diameter of the tree is. I use 20% Remedy Ultra with the remaining volume diesel on the small ones.
On the more mature ones, I use 75% Remedy to 25% diesel and frill it all the way around last fall.

I have tried ringing the whole trunk with a chainsaw cut, and had poor result on big trees. I also tried drilling several 3/8" holes near the bottom of the trunks and squirting the 20% Remedy mixture right in the holes, with only moderate luck.
Every bigger tree I have frilled has died with very few re-sprouts.

IF you are going to go the basal treatment path, TAMU's brush busters literature recommends:
The recommended mix rate for smooth bark tallow trees is 15 percent RemedyTM. This equals 19 ounces of RemedyTM per gallon of total mix. A 25 percent mixture (32 ounces per gallon on total mix) of RemedyTM should be used on rough-bark tallow trees.

Thanks. I will give that a try Saturday. I'm hopeing that the soon to be traveling down sap will help get the roots.

Bigfoot":uf4ructo said:

I don't know about the locust but in killing mesquite(And I killed some as big as 12in at the trunk)I really couldn't tell what I killed until the folowing spring.
Wken it come time for them to leaf out.

Cal

Thanks calman, I might wait. Seems like a good way to get a thorn in me. Plus it's the time of year copperheads will be out, and slow moving.

Come to find out my 8 year old son is a frilling machine. You can stand back and watch him frill. He can frill for hours. He normally works in exchange for his feed bill. Today he's getting a quarter a tree. To quote part of chief Joseph,"from the point where the sun now stands I shall frill no more forever".

Latest posts