I guess mineral tubs have a purpose.

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Couple years ago only ran mineral tubs. My vet said loose minerals were the better so ever since then I have been running Purina wind and rain all season loose mineral. All of my full grown cows will use the loose minerals. I had a big supply of mineral tubs since I buy most of my stuff in bulk, if I am taking the trailer to town its gotta be worth my trip. My last tub ran out 2 months ago in a small pasture with my heifers. Two weeks ago one would bareley walk, wouldnt come into feed etc... took her for blood work, mineral deficiencies, calcium, selenium etc... even with the loose mineral feeder in the pasture. Put a tub out there and she's eating it up. Guess some are just picky. Never again will I run with only one choice. For the price of the vet bill I could have bought 6 tubs.

Maybe she wasn't eating the mineral but have never seen one get down to where could hardly walk. Tubs are extremely expensive especially when you feed mineral tubs. Hopefully you purchased those that will give elevated levels of calcium and selenium as well as all the others. BTW only one heifer out of the whole herd??

TexasBred":2z9n3en6 said:
Maybe she wasn't eating the mineral but have never seen one get down to where could hardly walk. Tubs are extremely expensive especially when you feed mineral tubs. Hopefully you purchased those that will give elevated levels of calcium and selenium as well as all the others. BTW only one heifer out of the whole herd??
Yes only 1 heifer like this but didnt notice any other cattle having problems. Since I started running loose minerals, tub consumption has gone way down. I pulled tubs off the main herd a while back and see most the cattle eat the loose mineral from time to time. This heifer was off with some heifers I have seperated from the herd so they dont get to free graze. They are on klein hay and using brewers grain as protien suppliment in a small pasture a couple acres big. I am thinking mineral tubs for the picky ones who dont like the loose minerals. I had the ones from tractor supply. They maintained her up until now. We had to give her an IV of mineral solution and an injection. Maybe she doesnt like the taste. When I got home tonight I could see the brown mineral residue on her nose from thenm tub.

Her temperature was below normal when I took her in. Doc said possible bit of pneumonia setting in.

Being a little sarcastic now: Why don't you have menus printed in cow language and provide room service? I would have sold the dang thing--problem solved--$ in my pocket.

City Guy":1qbf63vy said:
Being a little sarcastic now: Why don't you have menus printed in cow language and provide room service? I would have sold the dang thing--problem solved--$ in my pocket.
bought her when prices were higher. Need babies from her to get my money back.

City Guy":27t5h2o3 said:
One little difficulty with your solution and that would be finding someone fool enough to buy a cow that can barely walk. People not near as stupid as you think, City Guy.

fancy brangus with ear or baldies with ear will bring premium in my area. her calves will make me money. After the mineral injections she is back to normal. Very strange the way she reacted to mineral deficiency. I posted this that way other people might benefit from my experience.

BK9954":3e3c2n5b said:
TexasBred":3e3c2n5b said:
Yes only 1 heifer like this but didnt notice any other cattle having problems. Since I started running loose minerals, tub consumption has gone way down. I pulled tubs off the main herd a while back and see most the cattle eat the loose mineral from time to time. This heifer was off with some heifers I have seperated from the herd so they dont get to free graze. They are on klein hay and using brewers grain as protien suppliment in a small pasture a couple acres big. I am thinking mineral tubs for the picky ones who dont like the loose minerals. I had the ones from tractor supply. They maintained her up until now. We had to give her an IV of mineral solution and an injection. Maybe she doesnt like the taste. When I got home tonight I could see the brown mineral residue on her nose from thenm tub.
Hope she comes out of it and makes you a good one.

As soon as she comes out of it she'd be gone. There's no reason to have special needs cattle. Making excuses for cattle is a money loosing proposition and a poor management decision long term.

True Grit Farms":2mmad414 said:
As soon as she comes out of it she'd be gone. There's no reason to have special needs cattle. Making excuses for cattle is a money loosing proposition and a poor management decision long term.
Selling is a guaranteed loss.

True Grit Farms":2jh4rjeq said:
Some of the guys in the past suggested keeping both out. Me not keeping mineral tubs was me trying to cut cost. Keeping both sources around is a good plan that I am going to stick with from now on. Might as well hang on to her for the time bein as she is in the process of being bred. If she gives me another reason to cull I will.

BK9954":2wvgl6mr said:
True Grit Farms":2wvgl6mr said:
Some of the guys in the past suggested keeping both out. Me not keeping mineral tubs was me trying to cut cost. Keeping both sources around is a good plan that I am going to stick with from now on. Might as well hang on to her for the time bein as she is in the process of being bred. If she gives me another reason to cull I will.

When I started out I supplemented my cows with molasses tubs or protein tubs. Then I went to cubes, now I use cotton seed. The cubes saved me 25 - 30% on the price to supplement my cows compared to tubs. And the cotton seed is 60% less than cubes. And I'm fairly certain that I can feed gin trash and chicken poop for about half the price of cotton seed. My pride won't let me feed poop yet.
Have you done any soil samples? Healthy soil provides a lot of trace minerals to the cattle.

You got something else going on. Ain't no dam mineral tub going to save a cow. Especially when she's got good loose mineral.
There's thousands of cattle never even get any kind of mineral and they somehow don't die. They don't do as good but don't die.
Keep the good mineral out and put your tub money in protein and energy.
Cottonseed, DDG's, corn, wheat midds, soyhulls, rice bran, something or a combo.
And yeah, she needs wheels when she's better.

jedstivers":iyyl9pih said:
You got something else going on. Ain't no dam mineral tub going to save a cow. Especially when she's got good loose mineral.
There's thousands of cattle never even get any kind of mineral and they somehow don't die. They don't do as good but don't die.
Cottonseed, DDG's, corn, wheat midds, soyhulls, rice bran, something or a combo.

x2

jedstivers":1fxu29d1 said:
Pretty harsh way to put it but I will take your advice into account. Will take 30 days for the Draxxin to get out of her system to even be accepted at a sale barn. If she maintains to be bred by spring my chances are better to get my money back. Talk of " making the beef industry great again" by Trump. I have her running with a bull right now.

BK9954":1gf5cuwb said:
jedstivers":1gf5cuwb said:
Pretty harsh way to put it but I will take your advice into account. Will take 30 days for the Draxxin to get out of her system to even be accepted at a sale barn. If she maintains to be bred by spring my chances are better to get my money back. Talk of " making the beef industry great again" by Trump. I have her running with a bull right now.
My wife says I'm brutally honest, I think she means it in a derogatory way too.
I don't have a lot of filter I guess. I do hate tubs, though. They just seem to take advantage of people.

jedstivers":erlbbyfn said:
BK9954":erlbbyfn said:
jedstivers":erlbbyfn said:
My wife says I'm brutally honest, I think she means it in a derogatory way too.
I don't have a lot of filter I guess. I do hate tubs, though. They just seem to take advantage of people.

Don't ask the question if you might not like the answer. Anyone that knows me knows this. Why beat around bush?
I'm

Latest posts