I guess Gelbvieh have hops

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
:mad: My neighbor called a few minutes ago and said that my bull was in with his girls. We couldn't find any damage at all to the 5 strand barbed wire or the two strands of hot wire that separates our farms. Not even an insulator knocked off. Our best guess is that he jumped it clean. It is about 55" high. Anyway my neighbor said it was ok to leave him for a few days since 3 of the cows are open. He is on the same vaccination program that I am on so no worries there. He feeds good hay and pellets so I will leave Leaper over there and let him feed his butt for a few days. Maybe he will be more inclined to stay on my side of the fence if those cows get bred :cowboy:

I always hate getting that call. It's frustrating when you get your fence shored up to where they respect it and won't try to go through it or under it, and they find another way to get out. Hopefully it'll just be a one time deal with him doing that. Bulls can be real athletes. My neighbor has had a couple of Holsteins over the years that could jump like that. One of them got out so much, he was used to getting loaded and would just walk into the trailer in the middle of the field. lol. He finally had to get rid of him. I guess on the bright side at least your neighbor is being nice about it and you don't have a mess of tangled wire and bent posts to clean up. Fixing the fence after a bull fight sucks- I'm mad enough the bull has got out or tore in, then having to fix all the messed up wire and posts after makes it even worse.

You know it serves you right fer even own a sory peace of crap gelbbveee bull . Heck if you were my neighbor I would have shot the sorry summa ad ad itch dead the second he got on me property . :lol: :p

Now all fun/kidding aside...

It is never an ideal situation for neighboring cattle to get mixed up by accident. I am glad you have an understanding and are in good relations with your neighbor .

Now if I remember the bull correctly are you sure the gate wasn't "accidentally opened/left open" so he could meander over and breed the open cows ??? ;-) :tiphat:

That is my constant fear . . . that the neighbor's bulls will tear down his not-too-good fences and get at my young heifers. They'd have to go through a couple of fences, but none of them are truly bull-proof. And that's another reason I like my bulls in a tank -- they can't fight with the neighbor's boys from the tank.

My neighbor is great. Actually he just bought a balancer bull and two heifers from me. He really likes my bull so he is delighted to use him. He wouldn't sneak him over. He would just ask. All my cows are bred so my bull was out of work anyway.

hoss with your good fences id get ole jumper in the pen an slapp a bullring in his nose an put a 5ft heavy chain in it.

A.J.":1t1p4dtv said:
Hopefully it'll just be a one time deal with him doing that.

I doubt it. In my experience once they've learned that they have that particular athletic ability they will exercise it any time they deem it necessary. :lol:

Katherine

I went out and checked the fence in the daylight today. I found where he went over. He left some belly hair and some blood on the top strand of barb. He barely scraped it because the top strand was still as tight as a banjo string. I measured the height of the top strand at 61". Due to a row of trees near the fence he had zero running start. His body length would barely fit between the fence and trees. He had to have flat footed it. Maybe he will get fat on the neighbors hay and grain and be too heavy to jump it again :lol:

Had to get rid of one of last fullblood Limi's because of his fence jumpimg abilities..2400lb bull ....5 foot fence... and he jumped it clean several times ....would even jump back to graze in my pastures...cause the neighbors, had cows but no grass.

HOSS":1s49l208 said:
I went out and checked the fence in the daylight today. I found where he went over. He left some belly hair and some blood on the top strand of barb. He barely scraped it because the top strand was still as tight as a banjo string. I measured the height of the top strand at 61". Due to a row of trees near the fence he had zero running start. His body length would barely fit between the fence and trees. He had to have flat footed it. Maybe he will get fat on the neighbors hay and grain and be too heavy to jump it again :lol:
Maybe he didn't ballet leap over that fence as gracefully as you thought, Hoss. :(

He must of had that aw crap look on his face when he felt the barb catch and knew that what went up must come down.

HOSS":2w4qd2v0 said:

Then how would he get back home Hoss? :lol:

HOSS":btgry3ni said:
He must of had that aw crap look on his face when he felt the barb catch and knew that what went up must come down.
Such a bad, stinken deal! With all due respect, I sincerely hope everyone who thinks that bull is a lost cause has to eat some crow in the future. Stranger things have happened . . . . . .

Must be a GV of the long-legged variety, I worry that ours would get high centered on a rock, he's pretty short legged. I've been happy with him, he's been well behaved for the 3 years we've had him

Latest posts