Hypersalivation and weight loss in first calf heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

2mmama

Reaction score
We have a brangus cross about 2 years old and she has lost alot of weight. Everytime she eats she foams at the mouth and has a seemingling hard time eating. She eats very slowly and shows little interst in eating. We thought maybe it was her teeth but the hypersalivation seems strange. Any ideas?

Rabies, abcessed tooth, something stuck in her throat are the first things to come to my mind.

I lean towards tooth loss, although it's a little late for that. If it persists I'ld get her in a chute and check the inside of her mouth.

dun

Thanks for the info. I think we are going to take her to the vet bc she has been like this for awhile now!!

dun":23kz6i0p said:
I lean towards tooth loss, although it's a little late for that. If it persists I'ld get her in a chute and check the inside of her mouth.

dun
Amen dun..I agree on the teeth...and its not alwasy just the toothe loss but cutting the 2yo teeth is sometimes a problem. When in doubt look in there mouth!!

LOL..i guess since somebody mentioned rabies I should say look in her mouth but BE CAREFULL. Wear rubber gloves if your in doubt
Good luck

Well we took hre to the vet today and she has Woody tongue, a bacterial infection. She's been treated now and so hopefully will start to improve!! Thought yall might want to know.

2mmama":41jfnqxw said:
Well we took hre to the vet today and she has Woody tongue, a bacterial infection. She's been treated now and so hopefully will start to improve!! Thought yall might want to know.

Interesting. That's something I've only heard about but never seen. What was she treated with?

Happy New year. She was given a shot of Pennicillin and an IV of an Iodine mixture. That was it. It seems to have helped as she is having an easier time eating!

2mmama":379oqcuu said:
Happy New year. She was given a shot of Pennicillin and an IV of an Iodine mixture. That was it. It seems to have helped as she is having an easier time eating!

Would it be sodium iodide? Glad she's doing better, and Happy New Year to you too.

Latest posts