hydraulic hay unroller ?s

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
scf84":36kbmj7a said:
what did you hate about it?
Trying to get the center core off the middle spike after it's unrolled as much as it can was always a pain. Then you're left with the hard core to put out and hope the cows break it up to eat it before they just crap all over it. The ohter thing was unless the bale is perfectly sentered it will darn near shake you off the tractor as it unrolls.

dun":f16j7v2e said:
scf84":f16j7v2e said:
Trying to get the center core off the middle spike after it's unrolled as much as it can was always a pain. Then you're left with the hard core to put out and hope the cows break it up to eat it before they just crap all over it. The ohter thing was unless the bale is perfectly sentered it will darn near shake you off the tractor as it unrolls.
i have never used one i have just been unrolling them by hand and thought this would be better. i can see the core thing being a pain,as far as shaking you off the tractor, how many rpm was yours turning?sounds like way to fast.

scf84":2fee5ghi said:
dun":2fee5ghi said:
scf84":2fee5ghi said:
i have never used one i have just been unrolling them by hand and thought this would be better. i can see the core thing being a pain,as far as shaking you off the tractor, how many rpm was yours turning?sounds like way to fast.
RPM didn;t seem to matter that much. Fast and it would darn near tip over the tractor. Too slow and it wouldn;t trun fast enough even at low ground speed to uncoil(roll) off.

the main reason for going with a spinner instead of this type unroller, is i dont have a loader so i would have to take this off and put on the spear to get the bale pulled out as i have them lined up end to end.

Actually you wouldn't need to switch back to the hay spear. Almost all of our outside stored hay is kept in rows end to end, and we feed everything with a 3 pt unroller. All you have to do is back up to the row from the end as if you were using a spear, grab onto the bale down low with the unroller arms, pick it up just a few inches, pull it out from the row several feet, set the bale back down/release it, then drive around to the side and pick it up the "normal" that you would to unroll it. Or, what we do sometimes is grab the bale from the end like that and carry it all the way to the field before setting it down and repositioning the unroller. Does it take an extra step? Sure, but it only takes a few seconds extra.

A basic 3 pt unroller would get my vote any day over the spinner type. Simple, rugged, no chains or hydraulic motors, etc.

No need to put the spear on. Just back up and pinch the bale and drag it out to where you can get at it. I have feed hundreds of bales with a unroller like that.

ok thanks for the help guys i wasnt sure it would grap them fron the side or not, sounds like my plans are changing to the pull type unroller. i even know where one is for sale i might go take a look at it, atleast get some measurment from it if nothing else.

I started building a hay un-roller, and had an old man ask me why didn't I just use the front wheel of my tractor like he does ? I tried it and it worked fine on JD bales, just aim for the middle and take off. I did find out it will only work on hard solid rolls (others just mashin. Good luck. RCP

I unrolled for several years--- then I used a spinner on my skid steer. I would leave small piles over the pasture. NOW -- instead of walking down the "hay path" -- the cows gathered in GROUPS around each pile and pretty well ate all of it --- without walking too much into the ground. EVERYONE ate --- old cows -- calves -- HI pecking order and low pecking order!!! I love mine! And what little wasn't eaten -- seeded the pasture for next spring!

Latest posts