Hydraulic system overfilled

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Long story short:ROFLMAO: my darlin companion was going to haul the burn barrel to empty it. The loader wouldn't raise. She thought it was because it was low on fluid (it does have some leaks).

She added fluid until she didn't have anymore to add, and "dammit it still wouldn't work". I estimate it is about 4 gallons over full.

My question…………Should I drain it, or safely operate it (it presently leaks about a gallon every 4-5 hours of run time)? Will it hurt anything?

For inquiring minds; Ford 6610 with a loader that was added by persons unknown before I bought it. They tapped into one of the remotes. The remote levers detents are shot, so I keep a bungee on them. If it gets bumped, the loader won't function with the regular joystick.

I had just serviced it and changed all the filters the day before this happened.

Yeah, I'd drain it and refill. That isn't a lot of work compared to repairs if it blew a seal.

Speaking of... isn't that kind of expensive running a tractor that goes through a gallon of fluid every 4-5 hours? Is the leak something that is too difficult to repair?

Yes it is obviously more expensive than operating a comparable tractor that doesn't have a leak. However, this one is 40 years old and I can afford it leaking a bit more so than payments on a new one.
I've had it scheduled into the shop since last fall, to replace all the flex hoses, rebuild the cylinders, and fix the main leak on the big tube coupler. They can't get materials and keep putting me off.

Thank you both for the advice. I'll see what I can drain by just removing the lowest filter first, then go forward from there. I appreciate your thoughts and consideration.

Yeah, I'd drain it and refill. That isn't a lot of work compared to repairs if it blew a seal.

Speaking of... isn't that kind of expensive running a tractor that goes through a gallon of fluid every 4-5 hours? Is the leak something that is too difficult to repair?
Yes drain and refill to the proper level that's universal transmission fluid as well.
You will increase your operating temperature and pressure.
I am surprised it isn't blowing out the vent on the case.

The trans housing is vented. You aren't going to blow a seal, the fluid level fluctuates quite a bit during normal operation when lift cylinders are extended/retracted.

I wouldn't worry too much, unless you think you can drain some off without it being a big issue.

If its indeed just 4 gallons over full I'd just run it. Everything is vented so nothing will blow out. At the rate your leaking it won't take long before you have to add more anyways.

Seems to me that hydraulic oil systems are designed to operate at a specific level. At a specific volume that allows the fluid to be cooled, adequate level on the hydraulic pumps and adequate time for entrained air in the fluid to separate. High levels may be worked more by rotating gears and shafts and entrain more air in the fluid. Entrained air is bad for lubrication, pumps and valves. For an overfill, I would just drain enough to reach the correct level, and put the plug back in. Just my thoughts and opinion.

Running high oil level in an engine (with the crankshaft slinging the oil around) will cause a high level of air entrainment and poor lubrication. Not good.

I talked to a Ford Tractor Mechanic today about the overfilling and he said probable would have some outer axle seals leak if the seals were worn. But really did not see any damage that would be done by the four gallons.

Maybe I misunderstood. I understand that the loader wouldn't raise. After filling the reservoir 4 gallons past full it still wouldn't raise. That suggests that the level is not the problem.

I guessing some things happen for a reason.

Today I had a bad case of anal glaucoma (I just couldn't see my azz going in to work).

I decided to drain the hydraulic fluid by removing the lower filter. It wizzed for a while. Then I reinstalled the old filter and started the tractor. I operated the hydraulics every way imaginable. I rinsed and repeated several times.

Ended up getting a lot of water out. I've had this tractor for 10 years of it's 40 year life. It's always stayed under roof since I've had it.

I'm going to give my darlin a larapin hug when she gets home. Now, back to work.

At least she can now empty the burn barrel. In addition to the filter, there might be a strainer on the suction line in the sump. There is where the particles and sludge hang out and cause problems.

Might want a new filter in 10 more years. One last question, what kind of shape is that roof in?

I'd hope you are changing the filters with some regularity and the fluid occasionally.

The 10 series fords have fairly complicated dual pump hydraulic systems with a combining valve, unloading valve, and load sense circuit that don't like nasty oil.

The hydraulic oil has always been so clean that I have to put my cheaters on and hold the dipstick just right to see it.
I do change the filters at least once a year, but I've never totally purged the system until yesterday, thanks to my wife (and I did thank her).
She's been feeling bad about the overfill, so this made her feel like it was a good thing.

Latest posts