Hydraulic Cylinders for Bush Hog Batwing Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

JHALL

Reaction score
Hey all,

We have a Bush Hog 2615L that I believe is in need of some cylinders for the wings.

I can't find any specs in the manual but after some measuring, I think it's a 3" bore, 12" stroke cylinder and sticker says it's rated at 3000 psi (maybe someone can verify the bore and stroke)?

Question is, I went to our local farm stores (TSC and Orschen's) and both carry similar products. All of their cylinders are rated at 2500 psi. Will these work for the wings on this mower?

I would much rather go factory and take the guess work out of it, but need to save some money, too.

Thank you!

The worst thing you can do for those cylinders is leave the mower outside with the wings down. The cylinders will be empty of oil and exposed to moisture in the air, causing the cylinders to rust. When you store them, lock the wings up.

If they are by chance not rusty then you can throw some new seals in. If they are, you're better off just buying new ones.

Have replaced a set on a Land Pride (built similarly to a Bushhog) and it used 3x12 cylinders on the wings, so your measurements are right.

I've got the same mower and rebuilt both cylinders last year, very easy cylinders to rebuild.

Go to Messick's website and use their parts locator section on the left, you can narrow down the part numbers on most anything. Off the top of my head, I think there's a serial number break on the 2615L's.

Thanks guys. One of the heads of the bolts on one cylinder that was plugging the one port not being used was broken off some time ago, so the cylinder has had water in it. I figured a rebuild would be pretty costly assuming (atleast the one) would need a lot of new parts.

Just looked up specs on the tractor we'd be using the bush hog with, which is a JD 7410 and a quick search shows it puts out 2900 psi of hydraulic pressure? If this is correct, should I not use the 2500 psi cylinders?

JHALL said:
Thanks guys. One of the heads of the bolts on one cylinder that was plugging the one port not being used was broken off some time ago, so the cylinder has had water in it. I figured a rebuild would be pretty costly assuming (atleast the one) would need a lot of new parts.

Just looked up specs on the tractor we'd be using the bush hog with, which is a JD 7410 and a quick search shows it puts out 2900 psi of hydraulic pressure? If this is correct, should I not use the 2500 psi cylinders?

Yes, you should have 3000 psi cylinders.

The rebuild parts are cheap, but like I said, if one of them has rust in the bore, chuck it in the scrap pile, not worth trying to fix.

Latest posts