hybred vigor

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
By crossing a red angus and black angus, will the cross produce as much vigor as using another bred ? thank you rj

No, Just like breeding on Hereford family to another, None, nada, zip, zilch, etc.

I agree with Dun with one possible exception. I have personally witnessed where two linebred families of the same
breed are crossed, the resulting calves out perform the straight bred calves. Had a breeder in SD use a Polled Victor Domino
bull from here and crossed with his L1 horned cows and the resulting calves out performed his A.I. sired L1 calves.
Since there are not many (I know of a few) that are seriously linebreeding in the RA or BA breeds, you probably will
not see any hybrid vigor when crossing these breeds.

mrvictordomino":3t9hu4zu said:
I agree with Dun with one possible exception. I have personally witnessed where two linebred families of the samebreed are crossed, the resulting calves out perform the straight bred calves. Had a breeder in SD use a Polled Victor Domino
bull from here and crossed with his L1 horned cows and the resulting calves out performed his A.I. sired L1 calves.
Since there are not many (I know of a few) that are seriously linebreeding in the RA or BA breeds, you probably will
not see any hybrid vigor when crossing these breeds.
thats what i would think. in a situation like that where their ""homozygous for homozgygous"" :cowboy: there would have to be some hybrid boost from it, when bred outside..

I used to agree with most of whats previously stated and have said so myself; but I've recently learned that the hd50k for black angus doesn't work at all for red angus. This has to mean that there is enough genetic difference that some level of hybrid vigor at least within the american populations is possible, atleast more than nada.

About 10 years ago I had the same questions so I asked a gneneticist at both the Red Angus and black ANgus associations. They both came up with the same answer. If 2 familys ar very tightly linebred(inbred) they said there may be a slight amount but probably not measurable. Several years ago we bred a couple of black Angus bulls to some of the Red Angus cows. There wasn;t diddly difference between the ones sired by the black vs the red bulls. But there was a significant difference when either was bred to black and red baldies.

Latest posts