Linebred vigor?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, by the looks of it, my linebred steer is outdoing all the crossbreds... go figure, He's 2 weeks younger than the oldest steer which is from that big swinging-udder cow, and is outgrowing him. He's also outgrown the oldest heifer who's one of the most talented milk thieves I've ever seen.
I think his mother Mega and him (Lazyboy) got perfect names!.. he doesn't get worked up about anything, he goes and eats, drinks, and then relaxes... I'm going to wrap the weigh tape around him in the next couple days (when he's 2 months)... I estimated him at about 260 lbs at 32 days old, and am figuring 350 or so now. He's got a bit of a swayback, and you still see traces of his contracted tendons, but I find him nice to look at anyhow... I only see very juicy steaks! If there were a steer to try and get impressive weight numbers on, I'd try him out, neither him or momma have gotten any grain... I'd love to see what 5-10 lbs of grain for momma and some for him would do, but I'm too darned cheap. I don't think an 900lb WW and 1300 lb YW would be difficult to accomplish.

I know if I keep any steers over next winter, he'll be one of them.

If it's any comparison ... I have a heifer (Zeta) here that's the result of a father x. daughter breeding ... and she was the 2nd animal to slick off this spring and is in better condition than anything else 2yrs or younger. Not fat at all ... just in great shape.

inyati13":3d2hq1ns said:
I wish AllForage was still here. He would say something. :D

Before he does that let's take a moment to think about statistics and population genetics. haha
One example is not a good starting point for a dissertation.
My wife works with this guy, pretty smart fella
https://www.math.lsu.edu/~madden/

Took his graduate level statistics course. You gotta big enough sample group anything can happen.
Ilya Prigogine is another favorite of mine from over in Texas, but he passed a few years back.

Latest posts